Organize Your Space Day 15: Photo Storage and Organization

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Carrie429's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Carrie429
Do you print photos ahead of time?
How do you store and organize them until you can scrap them?
How do you organize your photos on the computer?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy! ~*~ Blog ~*~bfp Chart
February 7th, 2011, 10:13 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I used to only print what I would scrap. That worked best.

I upload my pictures using the date as the file name. If there are more than one date in the camera no big deal in 20 years nobody will care. I go through the fresh picture and turn the scrappy ones. Then I COPY those to a file titled Print, I either print those all at once or as needed. At the end of the month I put all the days in a file labled month year and at the end of the year I put all the months into a file labled by the year.

I have been preprinting pictures and I am not liking it. Right now all my current (summer 2010 forward) are in the envelopoes and the Christmas ones are seperated out.

I think I am going to suck it up in the future and just print as i go as that way I get the picture i am going to scrap i know that they are more expensive and a lesser quality but I hate having piles and piles of unscrapped pictures. When i print them myself I can pick the size for the page I am scrapping adn adjust the picture to meet the requirements like orientation, turn the photo black/white or anything else. I also like that I can go back and add more picture that didn't make the first cut to the print file or skip any pictures that i scrapped the event with less pictures.

This year I am moving all my printed pictures from a generic Print file to print month file so that i can use those pictures as the pool for my Month In Review one page for me and one for my MIL.

Since I use copies in all my print files when i use/print the picture i just delete when i am done.

LOL clear as mudd right?

Once upon a time I stored the pictures i was planning to scrap in a small album all the pictures that went together in one pocket. i still have a stack of about six tiny albums of older pictures that i can scrap if I like.

I also when through adn picket out pictures that i was never going to scrap (family reunion, old Christmases, old vacations. ) and put them in a 2 per page photo album never to be worried about again.

I prefer to scrap recent pictures like taken this week! After they are about 6 months old they loose some appeal.

I sorted out the pictures for Beau's 8x8 album and those pictures are in the pages where the LO will some day be.

February 7th, 2011, 04:48 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you print photos ahead of time? Yes - I order pictures once or twice a year in bulk.

How do you store and organize them until you can scrap them? I sort them out into "Kendra", "Josh", and "Family" and store them in labeled photo boxes.

How do you organize your photos on the computer? My pictures are all either stored on a flash drive, a CD, on my Kodak Software or on Kodak Gallery.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

February 8th, 2011, 04:37 AM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tend to order prints when I can get a good price. I just ordered probably 500 pictures and am still missing two major events. Once they are printed, I put them in chronological order in photo boxes. Right now I am about a year behind in scrapping, plus all the layouts before I had children. As for pictures stored on the computer, they are stored by year in different folders for each month. I used to label them by date, but it took too long to change the file name, so now I just have them in as the name the camera gives them. The date is saved in the info so I know. I suppose if I get really bored one of these days, I'll go back and change them. That's getting close to two year's worth of pictures though.

February 8th, 2011, 07:58 AM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you print photos ahead of time? Yes I print them in large quantities when ever I have the money, but am trying to get better about printing them monthly.

How do you store and organize them until you can scrap them? I store them in the original paper folder thing they come in and label the top of it with the month that they were taken (or the particular activity) so it's easy to sift through

How do you organize your photos on the computer? "My pictures" folder is divided into sub folders "baby pictures", "inspiration", "Chris and me", "professional shots" etc so I know immediately where to look for things

Baby Pictures are divided by year ("2007", "2008", etc) then by month taken. I do a sweep of my card at the end of each month to make sure I don't get them all jumbled, but even if I did, who's going to care if I get a few January pics in the February file. If I didn't remember the pic being taken in Jan when I loaded it on the computer, I'm not going to remember it when I go looking for it.

I find that's the easiest way for me to keep things organized because I can usually flip through pages and tell about when things happened (ages of kids are really easy to tell those things right now)

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
February 8th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
Do you print photos ahead of time? yes but i may have to rethink that since i really want to start Holden's album but haven't printed anything since September 2009 and with our financial situation it doesn't look like i will be able to any time soon.

How do you store and organize them until you can scrap them?
they are in envelopes by month and then in photo boxes. but i keep a open office document on the computer and i print it out, with things i have written down about pictures and they are all in order by date, this way i can look at these pages and see what i feel like scrapping and still know if it needs to be a double page or not

How do you organize your photos on the computer?
by date and with a few key words on the folder title to know what they are. They are all backed up on a home server, i also have them on Picasa and i can find the one i want fast that way without having to open up a tom of folders if i don't know the date it was taken

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search