Chat - Storing Inspiration

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2011, 03:28 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How do you store your inspiration? A jar, a notepad, a binder?? Do you print off the challenges and keep them somewhere? Do you print off sketches and keep them somewhere? How often do you use these inspirations?? Are they easily accessible?? .....

With so many of us being busy and not being able to get to some of the challenges right away, I thought it would be nice to discuss storing inspiration! Maybe we will pick up a couple of tips from each other that will make our inspirations more accessible and easier to use! I'm always looking for ways to improve my system!

To get this chat going, I'll start off with a couple of questions...

What is your current system of storing inspiration?
What kind of inspirations do you keep (challenges, sketches, pictures, etc)?
Is it easy to find what you are looking for with this current system?
What problems do you have with your current system?

--------------------------------------------

What is your current system of storing inspiration? Right now I have things divided into 3 ring binders. I have one that has all the challenges from this board (from when I joined on anyway) and all the daily inspirations I post in the "Almost" daily inspiration thread in it. Another for card tutorials. Another for techniques. And another for sketches.
What kind of inspirations do you keep (challenges, sketches, pictures, etc)? I keep: Crop challenges, LOAD challenges, weekly challenges, sketches, daily inspirations, techniques and tutorials.
Is it easy to find what you are looking for with this current system? Most of the time I can find what I need, but I definitely need to come up with some way to better organize it.
What problems do you have with your current system? Even with all the binders, it is still pretty unorganized...I definitely need to find a way to better organize it.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

June 29th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I don't do anything at all. Maybe I SHOULD write things down. But usually don't actually get inspiration unless all my stuff is in front of me, so it doesn't matter.

June 29th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to GinaOfAllTrades
What is your current system of storing inspiration? Bookmarked on my browser, In a binder, or a folder on my desktop.

What kind of inspirations do you keep (challenges, sketches, pictures, etc)? I have the tearout sketch pages from Creating Keepsakes Jan 09 - Apr 10 and links to techniques I like

Is it easy to find what you are looking for with this current system? On the computer, yes. The binder is pretty easy but I need to print the ones I missed.

What problems do you have with your current system? Forgetting that I have them

Last edited by GinaOfAllTrades; June 29th, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
June 30th, 2011, 12:16 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
What is your current system of storing inspiration? I have a notebook for inspirations and ideas I want to use, I bookmark techniques, and I have folders on my computer for lifts and sketches.
What kind of inspirations do you keep (challenges, sketches, pictures, etc)? All of the above lol.
Is it easy to find what you are looking for with this current system? On the computer, yes, in my notebook, not really.
What problems do you have with your current system? It's very cluttery and unorganized, I think I'll pick up a few binders and try that out.
June 30th, 2011, 12:56 AM
JanessaFaith's Avatar Scrapaholic
What is your current system of storing inspiration?
I don't really have one. I have some sketches printed out. When I get an idea I sometimes use my sticky not app on my phone and save it to that. I also sometimes save sketches and pages I'd like to lift to my phone.

What kind of inspirations do you keep (challenges, sketches, pictures, etc)?
whoops, already answered that pretty much!

Is it easy to find what you are looking for with this current system?
I guess it would be if I ever went looking. I recently organized the pix in my phone so it should be easier now.

What problems do you have with your current system?
I guess just that I never use it. If I had something that I kept at my desk I might think of it more.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggie!!

Follow Me!

June 30th, 2011, 09:52 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
After reading all your replies, I realized that I forgot to put down that I did have a few files on my computer. I really need to go through the folders on the computer and get them organized. I have some difficulty finding what I am looking for. It doesn't help that we have 'most' of the files from the old hard drive when it crashed and some of them don't work anymore. Lots of files, not so much time or enthusiasm to go through and organize them! I try to print off most of my tutorials and techniques so that they are available for me in my craft room (I would LOVE to have a computer in my scrappy room sometime - but for now my scrappy room is downstairs on the other side of the house from our office, so not too convenient). I am also afraid of our computer crashing again and losing all of my scrappy files.

Brittanie - Do you think if you had a small notebook or something with a few ideas/challenges in it right next to your scrappy stuff, do you think you may use it when you have a scrappy block?

Gina - Does your binder just have sketches in it or does it have a few other things too? If it is more than sketches, how do you have it organized?

Chantelle - I really like my binders! I think I might need to get some page dividers to help me organize mine better (specifically the one that I keep all the crop challenges, LOAD challenges, weekly challenges and daily inspirations in).

Janessa - How do you store your sketches? I kind of forget about my sticky note app on my phone. I may have to go look and see if I have anything written down on that from a while back. LOL.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

June 30th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to GinaOfAllTrades
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyloves2dance View Post
Gina - Does your binder just have sketches in it or does it have a few other things too? If it is more than sketches, how do you have it organized?
Right now it is just the sketches from the magazines.
June 30th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyloves2dance View Post
Brittanie - Do you think if you had a small notebook or something with a few ideas/challenges in it right next to your scrappy stuff, do you think you may use it when you have a scrappy block?
It's funny, because after everyone else posted, I realized that I have all the pagemaps pages printed up and in a binder (and the cardmaps in another). I didn't think about it as "inspiration" but it obviously is. lol

I also always have my laptop with me when I'm scrapping so if I'm having a hard time I look back through the old challenges and stuff on here.

July 1st, 2011, 06:15 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use (or should say I've tried to use) several things. I try to jot down page ideas and thoughts in a notebook, but then misplace it so I have 5 or 6 different ones floating around the house/car/work/purse/etc.. I started out with a milkcrate that I placed hanging files in and put in folders for sketches, challenges, pages I wanted to lift, etc. But then I got too busy to file the inspiration in it's folder and they started piling up on top.

I'm better on the computer and have folders set up where I place the sketches & pages I find online that I'm inspired by.

I also use my phone camera and take pics of things I see that inspire me, but then the pics get buried along with all the others I take so I end up having to sift through them all to find them.

So in summary, I definitely need help with organizing this . . . . . . if I could find that darn notebook, I'd jot this down too.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
July 1st, 2011, 07:15 AM
mandalyn's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL, Becky!!

How do you store your inspiration? My stuff is mostly in a really big three-ring biner
Do you print off the challenges and keep them somewhere? Not usually, but I will write them down in a little notebook. I haven't done that since March!!
Do you print off sketches and keep them somewhere? I print the Pagemaps sketches and then I copy Julie Bonner's, Splitcoast Stamper and Sketchy Thursdays sketches and put them in a Publisher file. When I have enough on a page to print, I print them out and add them to the biner
How often do you use these inspirations?? I use the sketches every time I scrap. I don't do so well without sketches
Are they easily accessible?? Well, it depends on how much stuff I have out on my scrap table, but for the most part, yes. The binder is right where I need it

Tags
chat , inspiration , organization , storing inspiration

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search