Tuesday Technique/Tutorial 7/5/11 - Alcohol ink on tin foil

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2011, 02:59 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay....I still don't have it perfected, but I will post it anyway. I will come back and add suggestions and tips as I keep working with it and will post more pictures and a finished project later. (I loved the old tin ceiling tile look of the tin foil on the tutorial page!! Which is what got me so excited about this technique!!)

Today's technique/tutorial is: Alcohol ink on tin foil

Here is the tutorial for this technique: Faux metal – alcohol ink tutorial Pez-a-Doodle Designs

Approximate time from start to finish: I'm going to say about 1 hour or more (allowing dry time of tin foil to the cardstock)

Difficulty: I'm going to say about a 3 out of 5 on this one - took me a while to figure out how to use the alcohol inks - may be easier for those who have used alcohol inks before.

Suggestions:

Less is more when it comes to stamping the alcohol ink on the tin foil! Stamping too many times really blends the colors as does using too much blending solution.

Don't "start in one place and work your way" (ex: I started at the top of my sheet and worked down) as your stamps are darker where you start and fade as you go (so my sheets were darker at the top and lighter at the bottom - not very uniform). Stamp all over the page to get a more uniform look

Use a good adhesive to bond your tin foil to your cardstock! I used a spray adhesive my first trial run and it ended up coming apart when I cut it/used it in my cricut. I am going to try plain old Elmer's glue this next time to see if it works any better.

In bad lighting, you may think that some of the silver is still shining through, but that may not be the case. (I over did it my first attempt because I thought it was still shining through, but it wasn't)

If you get some veining, don't worry it will eventually blend itself in.

If cutting with your cricut...use the mulit cut feature! 1 cut on max pressure and a blade depth of 6 will not make it all the way through!

Here are a couple pictures of my attempts at this and one of a finished butterfly for me to use on a page. (sorry for poor pics, but it is hard to photograph since it is so reflective):

First attempt (colors used: caramel, rust, oregano...same as those used in the tutorial) - too much blotting!! Colors really blended - can't really see the rust or oregano. You can actually see the colors better in this pic than IRL! LOL!)

Picture that shows more of the gold color (different camera settings and lighting):

First attempt paper with embossing:

Silhouette stamp (StazOn ink) on first attempt paper (adhesive wasn't strong enough as the foil came off my paper when I cut it with my punch)

Second attempt (colors used: watermelon, purple twilight) - once again...too much blending! This time I kept getting veining (which eventually disappears...unless you blot TOO much like I did here) so I kept blotting.

Butterfly cut out of second attempt paper:

Third attempt (colors used: sail boat blue, citrus) - good example of less is more!! I really liked how my blotting turned out on this sheet. Unfortunately, my adhesive isn't strong enough. I had tried to cut a dragonfly out of it, but the tin foil peeled up and tore. Also, the dragonfly didn't cut all the way through because I did not use the multi cut function.

Check out this other site to see another example of this technique: Cuttlebug + Foil + Alcohol Inks = Fun! - Scrapper's Edge

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

Last edited by babyloves2dance; July 5th, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
July 5th, 2011, 05:43 PM
RobinX02's Avatar Crazy mom of 3!
Neat technique!! Really love that butterfly!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Thanks *Kiliki* for my siggy
July 6th, 2011, 05:39 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's a cool technique. I haven't played with alcohol inks at all, so I'm curious how they would work.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
July 7th, 2011, 06:57 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I still haven't bought any alcohol inks, although I used them a couple of times at a retreat. They really do work awesome!
July 7th, 2011, 03:21 PM
SAHM and scrappymommy
That is awesome Kelsey!
July 7th, 2011, 08:23 PM
MusicMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Very Pretty..... I love the color combo of the sailboat blue and citrus

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search