scapping 101

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I need some help. Like I said a few times I have tons of scrapping stuff and have yet to use it. So I was wondering if you gals would be willing to post a pic of a page and give me a play by play of what you did. Type of paper, embellishments, how it was put together, etc I think this might help me process what goes into all of your awsome pages. Pleazzzzz

August 18th, 2011, 11:56 PM
MommaOnCloud9's Avatar Mommy of 3!
I don't have any pics of layouts (yet) on my laptop, so I can't do that for you.

And, I'm sure the ladies here can help you some, but I highly suggest a "Scrapbooking Basics" class at a local scrapbook store or even Michael's will have them! You will learn SO MUCH and it's usually just 2-3 hours of your time. Some are free and others can have a small class fee ($25 or so). They will show you how to use all sorts of tools, the importance of journaling, coordinating colors, the best adhesives to use depending on your layout, and so much more. I took a basic 5+ years ago and I still want to go back and take 2-3 other classes.
August 19th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Well my process is this...

1.Pick sketch August 2011 PageMaps
2. Pick pictures depending on sketch
3. Pick papers
4. Cut paper and pictures
5. Assemble basic page
6. Add embellishments
7. Do title
8. Journal about something related to the title.

2. I picked three random Christmas picture with the ability to be cropped to needed size
3. One piece 12x12 then using picture dementions Guess/Estimate paper piece sizes about 3x9 and 4x7 these papers are not from the same manufacture and /or range
4. Cut paper pieces and pictures
5. Lay down two piece of paper with three pictures on top adjust as needed to fit your own page.
6. These three embelishments came from a punch out page that matches the basic patterned paper. added Bling and Sharpie to highlight page. Fine sharpie around paper and embellishments and wide around the pictures.
7. Cheat on title by using "Celebration"
8. Write about topic dictated by title.

August 19th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Here is a cute little slide show I did as a tutorial a while ago.

click picture
August 19th, 2011, 01:16 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I pick my pictures.
Pick my papers that match with my pictures.
Lately have been looking for sketches or layouts that go with what I am trying to do.
Then I put it all together. I also deviate from the sketches alot.

I agree a basic class might be just the ticket for you. Check with scrapbooking consultants too because sometimes they are free and you can meet some nice ladies too .

For this one I had my truck pictures.
Wanted to use the idea of a big circle. Found the papers that matched my pictures.
I moved them around on the page until I got them where they looked good to me.
Added a title and then stuck it all to the page.
I journal at the end. This one the journaling is kind of spread out but I did it after the picture was taken.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 19th, 2011, 06:13 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Here's a fun & easy page to do. I chose a pattern background, then cut a rectangle from a solid cardstock. I used my corner rounder for the corners, but you can also use scissors to round them. I angled and overlapped my photos, used some sticker alphabets letters for the title going down the side.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
August 19th, 2011, 11:07 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Very cute page Becky.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 19th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the pics and info....keep em coming if you like. I seem to learn something form each post.

Janna I wish I could do a class. However I have all 3 kids and no babysitter, plus funds are low. We are trying to save all we can to move. I think thats why I'm really wanting to get into scrapping. I need some me time!!!

Nicole when E goes down I will take a look. Thanks girl!

August 19th, 2011, 07:03 PM
C&K'sMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is my page

I scrapalift a lot to get inspiration. This was my inspiration on that page

It's Tamara's (I dug through the gallery folder on this board to find it).

I found the pictures I wanted to use. Then the paper I wanted for mine. For me cause I'm not as creative as a lot of these girls I find inspiration in their pages and then find a way to make them my own. Even though I'm lifting theirs it's helping me develop my own style.

"Disability is not a brave struggle or ‘courage in the face of adversity.’ Disability is an art. It’s an ingenious way to live."
August 19th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
i basically follow the same steps as Nicole, but i sometimes choose the paper before the pictures, some times i only have a small piece of paper that i want to use and sometimes i have a whole sheet i want to show off. i chose this lay out because i loved the entire background paper and didn't want to cover to much of it up. So my steps here were

Close up of the ribbon bar

1- choose the paper
2- find 1 picture that i love
3 - choose coordicating paper to match the background.
4 - i put the mat on the picture
5 - i slipped the paper strips under the picture and i then lifted the edge of the picture and put some adhesiveon each one to hold it in place,
6 - i cut my title on my cricut and added it to a sheet of yellow cardstock and then had wrote the rest leavinf spaces so i could cut them out. then i inked the edges in brown and layed them out on the paper, i probably readjusted where the picture went so i could have the words where i wanted them and then i glues down the words.
7 - then i flipped the whold thing over picture and strips added adhesive and stuck it down
8 - then i did the ribbon bar under the picture, to make it i took a piece od really stiff brown cardstock and i folded and or wrapped the ribbon on to and around it using glue dots as i went to hold it in place, then i wove the greenish brown fibre around and through the loops of the brown ribbon, added the flower on top added the butterfly and the crystal pins, the top one was just some folded ribbon centered with the flower and butterfly. i used a couple glue lines to hold down the whole thing.
9 - the butterfly is the kind from the dollar store that is white on a green stick that you add to bouquets, i just sprayed it with glimmer mist and i cut the big stem off

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

Last edited by Tamaralynnb; August 20th, 2011 at 08:33 PM.
August 19th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I took pictures while I scrapped this evening.

I always choose the pictures first:

Then I find a sketch that fits. (4 vertical, 4 horizontal)

Then I choose the paper. Usually it's the pictures that inspire the colors

I cut the paper and assemble the base, on a double both sides before pictures.

Then pictures and embellishments, one side and then the next

Cut the title

This title is hard to read, so I trace around it. Same trick as Nicole only not with a sharpie. Mine is a zig writer and is double ended (thin on one side, thick on the other)

All done!

August 20th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Brittanie girl you ROCK! LOL Man you really have me hoping I find my cricut thingy soon. I better still have it. Where do you get the sketches from? Do you always use them?

Tamara thanks for the detailed discription. It really helps with my thought process.

Alycia I'm getting alot of insperation from all you! I'm glad Nicole brought me here.

I can't believe the amount of paper I have. I have been finding things and putting it all in these containers. I have exato knives, template things for circles, ovals, squars, easily a thousand plus papers. That was just counting the big packs of stuff not even my lose stuff. And that was just my 12x12. I have 9 albums in there and all sorts of embellishments. I know I have more. I know I bought a cricut and I know I have a couple different size zyron things. However at this time I only found a small sheet of photo tabs and a rolly thing that is double sided. Kinda what Nicole mentioned to me in another thread. I'm hoping to find more adhesive. This is what I have found and put togehter so far. Each one of the little ones is stuffed full. I only have one empty one left.

While I was skimming through my paper I came across this one. I think it would be perfect to use with my Uncles pictures. The colors are good and he was deffinetly an original. Now to find some pics.

August 20th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupcake74 View Post
Brittanie girl you ROCK! LOL Man you really have me hoping I find my cricut thingy soon. I better still have it. Where do you get the sketches from? Do you always use them?
I get them from pagemaps.com. I've printed out all their pdf archives, except for the last 3 months because we haven't gotten our printer set up since we moved. I do use them pretty much every time, even though I don't necessarily like to. I USED to be able to scrap myself with no help, but I've suffered from a serious lack of creativity the last couple years. I don't always follow them as faithfully as I did that one though.

August 20th, 2011, 06:08 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I vary a little. Most times I pick my pictures first, then my sketch, then my papers followed by font for a title and embellishments. Other times I pick my sketch first, then my pics, paper, font and embellishments.

I will have to come back and finish this post later. Sounds like the kids are acting up.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

August 20th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupcake74 View Post
Tamara thanks for the detailed discription. It really helps with my thought process.
your welcome, and i went and added the picture, can't believe i didn't notice i forgot to attach it, now you know what i'm talking about

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

August 20th, 2011, 09:31 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay I'm back!

The girls have all given you some great instructions!!

Brittanie - Thanks for taking step by step pics of your process!! That is such a cute layout by the way!!!

Page Maps is a great site for sketches!!! There are also some other sketch sites listed in the Sketches and Cards Subforum

I will have to do some digging to find the sketches I used for my pages as I don't really mark them. I will look and post pics and directions for my page later.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

August 20th, 2011, 10:58 PM
LOL Tamara....the pics even help me more.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search