cricut

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found it and dug it out and have it set up. I think. It took me 4 tries to get it to cut through the paper. I adjusted the paper thickness nob and I adjusted the needle. Finally I got it to cut. It did leave an impression on the matt....is that normal. Since I'm a little confused I thought I would ask you all how you have your set up.

What number do you have your needle at?

What number do you normally use for the thickness of paper? Typical, Cardstock?

What size font do you normally use? I know this can vary, but I know we all kinda have a go to.

What do you use to get the cutouts off the matt?

I think there was something else, but thats all I remember now. If you have a hint go ahead and toss it to me.

Oh, how often do you change blades?

How often do you get a new matt?

And where do you get supplies for it?

One more....whats your favorite cartridge?

OK I think thats it.....

August 20th, 2011, 11:34 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I don't have one but hopefully someone can help soon. I always try google when I am unsure as well .

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

August 21st, 2011, 12:13 AM
RobinX02's Avatar Crazy mom of 3!
I cannot help you with the numbers because I usually leave it on-
Speed- 1
Pressure- 5
Needle- 5

Unless the paper is a lot thinner, then Ill adjust the pressure and more then likely the needle too.. I just play around with it..

It is normal that it leave the impression on the mat.. Least Im guessing it is cause mine does it and my SIL's does it.. lol

I dont buy mats as often as I should, but when you can touch it and it doesnt feel like there is any tackiness left on it, its time for a new one.. Or if when cutting, the paper moves.. I tend to use it longer then I should and hold the paper in place so it doesnt move..

I buy mats at Walmart because they are usually a dollar cheaper then at JoAnns (no idea about price at Michaels)

Never have changed the blade yet, so no clue on that..

I love the Create A Critter cart, but havent used it yet. But has so many cute little animals!!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Thanks *Kiliki* for my siggy
August 21st, 2011, 06:13 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yay for getting your cricut out of the box!!

What number do you have your needle at? like Robin, I have my speed at 1 and others right in the middle. I really haven't adjusted it much as I've only done paper & cardstock through it right now.

What number do you normally use for the thickness of paper? Typical, Cardstock? I usually keep it the same unless the paper starts tearing.

What size font do you normally use? I know this can vary, but I know we all kinda have a go to. It varies for me depending on how much room I have, but probably 2-3 is my standard.

What do you use to get the cutouts off the matt? I ended up getting that spatula thingy from Cricut. It works great as I found the letters would sometimes tear when I tried to lift them, especially on brand new mats. Tweezers are also good to have for small pieces.

I think there was something else, but thats all I remember now. If you have a hint go ahead and toss it to me. Like Robin says it will leave an imprint of the letter/shape on the mat, so rotate it each time you put it in the machine. It'll last longer.

Oh, how often do you change blades? Haven't changed mine yet, so don't know. I'd had it for a couple of years, but don't use it everytime I scrap.

How often do you get a new matt? I did buy some extras, so I rotate between 4 and haven't thrown any away yet.

And where do you get supplies for it? carts, I typically get on ebay. I've also gotten some great deals on clearance at Michaels & Walmart for carts to. You NEVER EVER need to pay full retail $90 and up for a cart.

One more....whats your favorite cartridge? That too varies for me, lately I've been using my fonts more. As far as shapes, I do love the Create a Critter cart, and my Boys will be Boys cart. Also Life's a Beach is super cute too. I've got too many carts, and am working through using them all right now.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
August 21st, 2011, 08:08 AM
PeanutandPiglet'sMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to PeanutandPiglet'sMom Send a message via Yahoo to PeanutandPiglet'sMom
OK you ladies have sold me on the Create a Critters cart (in my Amazon cart at $24ish now)

As for me...I use my Cricut ALOT!

What number do you have your needle at? Mine is at 4 (when you look at it in the machine the #4 is facing me)

What number do you normally use for the thickness of paper? Typical, Cardstock? Maybe this is why it's set at 4...I primarily cut cardstock

What size font do you normally use? I know this can vary, but I know we all kinda have a go to. I prefer cutting a 1 1/2 to 3 for font but like you said, it varies

What do you use to get the cutouts off the matt? I caved and bought the spatula.

I think there was something else, but thats all I remember now. If you have a hint go ahead and toss it to me.

Oh, how often do you change blades? After a year of pretty steady use, I changed the blade. HUGE difference!

How often do you get a new matt? I have a few that I rotate through. In between, and after it's been used 5-6 times, I wipe it clean with a baby wipe, let it dry and it seems sticky again.

And where do you get supplies for it? Walmart, Amazon.com, ACMoore...or wherever I see things on sale!

One more....whats your favorite cartridge? I'm enjoying the Twinkle Toes cart right now...but Zoobaloo is one I use lot too!

August 21st, 2011, 10:13 AM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh this is helpful...Thanks! Keep em coming please!

August 21st, 2011, 12:09 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I don't replace my matts, I add adhesive to the paper.

I have two Carts Doodle bug came with the Cricut and I bought Lyrical letters off Ebay for under $20 last Christmas.

Personally I am very happy with just doodlebug and rarely put lyrical letters into the cricut.

My only use for my cricut is fonts I rarely go over 2 inches. Doodle bug also has the Heart, and the Circle I use a lot.

August 21st, 2011, 01:10 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hooray for finding your cricut!!!

It did leave an impression on the matt....is that normal.
Yes that is normal. Just try to keep it as an indent and not an actual cut through your mat.

What number do you have your needle at?
I think mine is on 5

What number do you normally use for the thickness of paper? Typical, Cardstock? Mine pretty much stays at 5 - seems to work the best for my machine (may be a sign my blade is getting dull though).

What size font do you normally use? I know this can vary, but I know we all kinda have a go to. My titles are usually about 1 1/2 inches.

What do you use to get the cutouts off the matt? I have one of the Cricut Spatulas

If you have a hint go ahead and toss it to me. If your mats are too sticky, use a shirt or cloth of some kind and blot it on the mat. Use a scraper of some sort (or something like an old credit card) to clean off all the itty bitty pieces off your mat (after removing cut outs and extra paper).Don't pull your paper off from one end to the other, work back and forth. Just pulling it off will result in curled and hard to use paper. As you play with your cricut you will find settings that work best for your machine.

Oh, how often do you change blades? I have not changed blades yet - will probably change it starts to cut poorly/rip my paper.

How often do you get a new mat? I have not bought a new mat yet. I bought some stick away and stick and spray by crafters companion and just re-sticky my mats when they need it. ***Doing this will void your cricut machine warranty*** (A complete line of crafting sprays brought to you by Crafter's Companion)

And where do you get supplies for it? Almost all of the carts I have bought for my cricut have either been on ebay (for under $25) or on sale at Walmart or on an online store (I try to get them for less than $25 those places too, but doesn't always happen).

One more....whats your favorite cartridge? That's a hard one for me!! LOL!! I have over 50 cricut carts so it is hard to pick a favorite. I love the font carts because I love having a variety of fonts to choose from for titles. I would say an absolute must have for fonts is Lyrical Letters. It has 7 fonts on 1 cart. As for picture carts, it depends on what pictures I am scrapping.

Here is a site that has a free downloadable cricut cutting guide. She has quite a few brands of paper listed and the settings she thought worked best for cutting each of them. The Cricut Cutting Guide | Above Rubies Studio

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search