Tuesday Technique/Tutorial 12/13/11 - Faux Stained Glass (Acetate and Alcohol Inks)

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2011, 02:54 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Today's technique/tutorial is: Faux Stained Glass using Acetate and Alcohol Inks

I don't have an actual tutorial for my version, but here is one that is similar:
Acetate and alcohol inks - YouTube

For my version, I put a couple drops of 2 different colors of alcohol ink onto my felt applicator and then moistened it with the alcohol blending solution. I then took the felt applicator and ran it across the acetate in straight lines. (I'm sure you could do wavy lines or blot it as well.)After letting it dry, I ran it through my cricut, alcohol ink side up and cut out my solid shape. I also cut out the same solid shape in white cardstock then glued the 2 pieces together (alcohol ink side down) with elmer's glue applied with a foam brush. I then layered the more decorative cutout on top of the acetate. (See the butterfly in the picture below). (I layered my stained glass butterfly on some colored cardstock to give it a little more stability and some more pop)

Approximate time from start to finish: About 20-30 minutes

Difficulty: I'm going to say a 2.

Suggestions: You can do this with cricut cut outs or by stamping one side of the acetate with StazOn ink. You could also draw designs on the opposite side with a permanent marker or run the acetate through your printer and then do the stained glass on the other side of the acetate.

If your acetate has a rougher side and a smooth side, stamp/write/type on the rough side and use the smooth side for the alcohol inks.

There are different ways of applying your alcohol inks. You can apply them directly to the acetate like shown in the video or you can apply them in designs like I did with the felt applicator.

You can add PearlEx to your stained glass if you would like (like in the video) or go without (like my version)

Here are some butterfly embellishments I made using this technique:

Now it is your turn!! I challenge you to give this technique a try!!

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

December 13th, 2011, 06:52 PM
RobinX02's Avatar Crazy mom of 3!
Love those butterflies!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Thanks *Kiliki* for my siggy
December 14th, 2011, 07:02 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Those are gorgeous!!

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!

Tags
technique , tuesday , tutorial

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search