Tuesday Technique/Tutorial 5/15/12 - Shaker Box

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By babyloves2dance

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2012, 09:28 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Today's technique/tutorial is: Shaker Box

Here is a tutorial for this project: Shaker Box Tutorial - YouTube

You may need to be a member of Splitcoast stampers to view this, but here is another tutorial: Splitcoaststampers - Shaker Card Project Tutorial by Beate Johns

Approximate time from start to finish: I'm going to say about 10-30 minutes (depending on the shape of your shaker box - squares take less time than hearts for example).

Difficulty: I'm going to say a 2.

Suggestions: To cut the foam tape in half, I cut a strip the length I needed and then gently stick it to my paper trimmer (so the line went down the middle) and cut it in half that way.

You don't have to cover the back of your shaker box if you are going to be sticking it to a page in a scrapbook or on a card.

You want to use a heavier cardstock for the back of the shaker box.

This is a great project for recycling that clear packaging (that looks a lot like acetate) - ex the clear protective box that the cricut carts come in. You can also use acetate or a sturdy page protector for this project.

Put your "stuff" in the shaker box before taking off the foam tape backing or you will have "stuff" stuck to your tape and won't get a good seal around your shaker box.

I found that when attaching the front of the shaker box to the back of the shaker box, if you just peel a little of the foam tape backing off at a time, you get less "stuff" stuck to your tape and you can get the 2 parts lined up better.

If you have thicker "stuff" to put in your shaker box, you can double up the foam tape to make the embellie thicker.

You can use paper or even a picture in the background of your shaker box.

You can also use some StazOn ink and stamp an image or sentiment on your acetate.

You can cut out your images by hand, with a cricut, or even use some punches to make your shaker box!

Here is a shaker box I made (it's actually the one I made for the embellie swap):

Now it is your turn! I challenge you to give this technique a try!!
Jessica C likes this.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

Last edited by babyloves2dance; May 15th, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
May 15th, 2012, 10:29 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very cool! thanks for the instructions on this, I was wondering how you made those embellies.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
May 16th, 2012, 05:01 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had another thought on this after Josh's hair cut today....You could use the shaker box to make something to hold those pieces of hair from their first haircut!

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

May 17th, 2012, 06:19 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is a perfect idea, I've got some of Mark's hair from those first couple of haircuts that I've been wondering how to scrap them.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
May 17th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's a GREAT idea!

Tags
technique , tuesday , tutorial

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search