Elf on the shelf

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Brittanie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2012, 05:47 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Who's got one??
How do you like it?
If you don't have one, do you want one?

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

December 18th, 2012, 06:09 AM
MusicMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We don't have one...... Don't really want one either.... Just not our thing

December 18th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Don' t have one and don't want one. For a really long drawn out reason, lol. First of all, I promised myself when I first was pregnant with Cora that I wouldn't ever issue a thread that I wouldn't follow through with. That includes not getting a present if you're naughty. I can't think of an instance when I would ever NOT give her a present (I'll gladly take them away if they're naughty afterward, but on Christmas morning, they're going to have something to open). I've chosen not to reinforce the idea, and to me, that's all the elf does. And the second reason I don't like to reinforce it really only came into light this Christmas. I've been telling Erin that the reason Santa gives us presents is to remind us that Heavenly Father gave us Jesus. And, in reality, we are all naughty, and we all get Him anyway. So how can I teach my daughter that Santa's presents represent the Savior, and then tell her that she won't get them/Him if she's naughty?

((That by NO MEANS means that I think people are wrong for using the elf. I think it's cute. It just doesn't work for me and my family))
Happy Song and RobinX02 like this.

December 18th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittanie View Post
I've been telling Erin that the reason Santa gives us presents is to remind us that Heavenly Father gave us Jesus. And, in reality, we are all naughty, and we all get Him anyway. So how can I teach my daughter that Santa's presents represent the Savior, and then tell her that she won't get them/Him if she's naughty?
I really like this Brittanie!

We don't have an elf. I've thought about getting one though, more for the fun of the kids finding it than they "spying and telling Santa" part. I think the kids would have a blast looking for it every morning. I do think they are quite ugly though. LOL!

December 18th, 2012, 12:26 PM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I honestly never heard of this "theme" until this year, so I'm still not entirely sure what all it's about. I've seen several friends post pics on FB with cute things the elf is into, but I didn't know much more then that. I think Mark would enjoy looking for him to move each day though.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
December 18th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Who's got one?? I have one and I made her from a cute Disney Fairy doll so she is not creepy looking at all. Jessica sent me the story.

How do you like it? I hate it. I am so sick of my husband beating my 4 year old up with threats. Um yes at moments like this I can totally tell my husband was raised by a teen mom who was completely more interested in catching her next man and spending time at the bar than in raising her kid. This is definately focusing in on a major flaw of our co parenting and I just don't know what to do. Maybe share Brittanies theory with him???

For the record I did once have my mother send my son a letter from Santa that if continued to hit kick and bit his teacher and if he was expelled from school/day care then he would not get any gifts. OMG he was expelled for a week and yes i HAD to follow through on that. It severly sucked. I almost lost my job over it! (He stayed with a friend who had children his age who is a Jahovas Witness and he got all his gifts, he just had to make it through school, and each week he did he got to open a gift at the end of the week.)

If you don't have one, do you want one? Mine might find herself in a box buried underneath the oak tree...

December 19th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Sorry your elf isn't working out as planned Nicole.

December 22nd, 2012, 08:24 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Oh yes and about the Elf thing, why is this Elf who is watching our for good behavior so naughty? If you look around you see people catching their Elves being very bad. if my child make snow angles out of powdered sugar I'd kill them. If they wrote messages on the mirroer in tooth paste... the list goes on. Luckily my elf is very quiet and straight laced and has not gotten into any trouble at all.

December 23rd, 2012, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Song View Post
Oh yes and about the Elf thing, why is this Elf who is watching our for good behavior so naughty? If you look around you see people catching their Elves being very bad. if my child make snow angles out of powdered sugar I'd kill them. If they wrote messages on the mirroer in tooth paste... the list goes on. Luckily my elf is very quiet and straight laced and has not gotten into any trouble at all.
That is a good point Nicole!

December 23rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
SAHM and scrappymommy
We have one. He doesn't always do naughty things. I would say he does more cute things than anything else. My kids love it. I have never told them that if they are naughty they will not receive gifts. I don't really believe in that part of it. It was just something fun that I wanted to do with my kids.

This morning they woke up to find in sleeping in amongst the presents with a little blanket. Tomorrow morning I think he will be sitting at the computer looking at the website that tracks Santa. My daughter actually gave me that idea so I figure why not do it.
December 24th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We bought Jaylen one this year, Annie is what she was named after Annie from Little Einsteins. Every morning Annie is in a new place and Jaylen LOVES trying to figure out where Annie is. Every once in awhile DH "threatens" that Annie is watching and if Jaylen's not good Annie will tell Santa and he won't bring her any presents, but by the end of a day "overall" Jaylen's been good....obviously she's 3 so she has her moments, but don't we all....so having to follow thru with the threat won't happen. Having Annie seems to have helped somewhat with the attitude almost as tho she realizes that there's always somebody watching. I get up really early every morning anyway so having to move her around isn't bad and having to find new places for her to hide has been fun....atm she's sitting on a bough of the Christmas tree. Tonight we'll have Jaylen say goodbye to Annie and that she'll see her next year (Annie goes back to the North Pole on Christmas Eve until next year). I love Brittanie's explaination of why Santa brings gifts and in the future we may need to incorporate that into the way we use Annie.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search