Sewing Question for the sewers among us

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2013, 11:53 AM
BeckyM's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, I fully admit I am not that skilled using the machine. I can do a basic hem which is a a necessity when you're barely 5 feet and always have to hem everything including petite clothing. Other then that, it's been years (I'm talking home ec in high school so over 21 years ago) since I've done anything else with the machine. So what I need to know are some hints, tips, and perhaps some links to making some slipcovers for a couch & loveseat. We have some old furniture in the basement - it's in great shape, but is very very old and I am just tired of seeing the pattern. And would love to make some slipcovers to cover it up. We are frugal and can't justify just replacing furniture that is in great condition. Once I see if I can tackle this, then the next project will be reupholstering the dining room chairs.

You can see the bottom of the couch in this pic of the blanket.

So - help please! Is this even feasible for me to consider? and yes I know pinterest probably has tons of links. Pinterest can get overwhelming though sometimes with all the links.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for another perfect siggy!!
July 1st, 2013, 12:07 PM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ha I was gonna suggest pinterest. Can you post pics of the couches. Depending on style will have a lot to do with how you slip cover it.

Also pics of your dinning room chairs. If they are what I'm thinking....that might be an easier project.

July 1st, 2013, 12:28 PM
I'll take some pics and upload them. I guess that would be helpful wouldn't it.

July 1st, 2013, 12:45 PM
ahhhh....maybe!

July 1st, 2013, 01:15 PM
Here's the loveseat.

Here's the couch.

and here's the silly monkey beating his "drum" after telling me to take a pic of him.

here's the dining room chairs - 2 have arms, rest without but the back & seat are the same size

July 1st, 2013, 01:20 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Imho fabric it's self is so expensive that just buying slip covers at Target would be cheaper and easier than sewing them yourself.

July 1st, 2013, 01:31 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Song View Post
Imho fabric it's self is so expensive that just buying slip covers at Target would be cheaper and easier than sewing them yourself.

That's the conclusion I came to as well. I bought a pattern for a slipcover (basically just directions, most of it would have been measuring and cutting with a rotary cutter, sewing blocks together), but it required at least 15 yards of fabric, if not more.

July 1st, 2013, 01:43 PM
I agree fabric can be pretty expensive. If your patient and wait for a sale with a coupon it can help but if you are in any way unsure of your sewing skills a slipcover would probably be a better way to go. Surefit slipcovers I think it is has lots of options and fairly reasonable.

Now for those chairs. Do you want the chair seats to be the same style also its hard to see how the back would come off. Would those wood plugs on the back of the chairs need to come out. Seeing the tufting on the front and the flat back makes me think so.

July 1st, 2013, 06:57 PM
I haven't popped out the wood plugs, but it looks like they "should" come out.

With the slipcovers, I've not seen any at Target (or Walmart either). I've seen some cheap looking ones at Kohls that were pretty expensive. I will check out sure fit slipcovers. I've not heard of them, but honestly haven't looked much either.

July 1st, 2013, 07:56 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
Try this website
UglySofa.com - Ugly Sofa? Couch? Loveseat? Chair? Slipcover it!

July 1st, 2013, 09:50 PM
when I got some from surefit yrs ago for a couple dollars they would send you a bunch of swatches so you can get a better idea of what the fabric is really like. Oh and you can get some foam if you want to cover and give a fuller look to the wood on the arms. I can't wait to see what you end up doing with your lovely couch and love seat.

July 2nd, 2013, 04:26 AM
Thanks ladies!! They are "lovely" aren't they? Just scream that they are from the 70s.

July 2nd, 2013, 08:13 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would vote for buying slipcovers as well. I have never made a slipcover for any type of furniture before...too big of a project for me.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search