New Here

Forum: Paper Scrapbooking

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Paper Scrapbooking LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2008, 01:16 PM
bunni0407's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to bunni0407
Im new to scrapbooking. Im gonna start buying stuff Im just not sure exactly what I need to get. We dont have that much money and I need to get alot of double stuff,atleast for birth and young boy stuff. I cant afford to buy anything to fancy, but if you ladies can give me some ideas that would be great. Im not sure what type of book or size. What type of paper should I get, what about stickers and stuff like that. Ladies thank you for the help in adavance.

Kelley

*Thank you misfitinmn for my amazing siggy*

February 26th, 2008, 01:31 PM
gavinsmommy9-19-06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome it all depends on what your prefrences are as far embelishments and papers. i only buy paper packs and only on sale. you can usually find a paper pack on sale @ ac moore or michaels for about $10 or $11 most have corridinating patterns and solids. some things you will definitly need are adhesive (i use a tape runner and a pen for fine work), good pair of scissors, paper trimmer and some good scrapbooking pens. the rest is all in how you want it to look. browse around in the galleries to get some ideas and go from there. you can start off simple and as you get into it build up your "stash". hope this helped a little!
February 26th, 2008, 01:32 PM
lizzy27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
#1 thing to know is everything you get as far as paper, adhesive, and albums should be acid & lignin free. If you shop at a scrapbook or art or craft store, it 95% of the time will be. But it's something you may want to check the packaging for before you purchase. This will ensure your pictures and work won't yellow, fade, or otherwise corrode in time.

I would make sure to have a really good pair of scissors and a paper cutter (chopper thingy from an office supply store), archival quality pens if you plan on writing your own journaling, and adhesive (photo squares, archival quality glue, etc).

Most of what you asked is up to personal preference and taste, and unfortunately it may take some time and $ to figure out which you prefer. I prefer 12X12 scrapbooking for my own books. I take a lot of pictures, and tend to fill my pages with them. Most paper is sold in 12X12 so that's convenient. I only use smaller books for gift albums. I like the pocket page style album now... where you open up the book and the page is a clear pocket, with a white sheet inside that you can glue things to. I get refillable albums so I can add as many pages as I need.

Paper, stickers, embellishments (buttons, ribbon, etc)... take it slowly. Start with paper, obviously, in whatever patterns or colors you like, or you think go with the theme of your layout or your pictures. I do a lot of my journaling and titles on the computer. Always a cheaper option than buying letter stickers, rubons, or whatever. Look around online or in scrapbook magazines in the store for ideas for picture placement. www.twopeasinabucket.com is a great resource for looking at people's work. Check out the Member Gallery section. Or check out the pages posted in our own gallery here! You will see that everyone has a different style, some are simpler, some are more advanced... I tend to like the simple pages, I am not too talented "art-wise" and I like the focus to be on my pictures. Your style will develop in time.

Good luck!!

February 26th, 2008, 01:48 PM
lovemyluke&joel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! We are glad to have you. Please join in our fun and ask any questions you may have!!!

This web site below is a great one to get started with. I think they gave a great list of things you will need. Just get the basics for now also like sillygrin said check out our galleries to get some ideas.

Supplies

Link

Jen & Eric
Luke (2/23/06) & Joel (3/23/09)

February 26th, 2008, 05:07 PM
lovemyfamily0799's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The paper stacks are a good investment when you catch them on sale. It is a good place to start to just get a feel.

As for stickers and embellishments....don't buy any unless you know exactly what you are going to use it for. I always found myself buying stuff that I thought I needed, but never really used it. So unless you have a layout in specific, don't get it.

You'll need a paper trimmer and an adheisive runner. Don't invest in the patterned cutting scissors.

Also I think you'll find the 12x12 size as the most common. Otherwise you have to cut your paper every single time if you get the large value packs.

But the most important advice I can give. Is don't be hard on yourself. It is something that you will grow into, as you get going, you'll see techniques and things that you find yourself always drawn too..once you figure out what that style is, then you can start saving for products to do it.

The blinky is clickable!!
February 26th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
Hi Kelly, i have some little boy stickers i can send you i have way to many i bought different sets for certain ones and they i have duplicates in different styles and you really don't do more then 1 first bath page. personally i like the 12x12 album because i can fit more the one photo without cropping it and most of the papers are 12x12 although there is alot of 8x8 as well. as for tools i find a paper trimmer is the most important as long with adhesive i use photo squares and just peel off the back, they are slower as you have to peel the back but are cheaper then buying the runners and stuff that are more convenient. but yeah i made the mistake that Chanda was talking about by buying stuff i like because i liked it (stickers) and now i have way t many that i probably won't use, so unless you know you will use them don't buy them. as for places to buy and yes Acid free is important, Walmart is a good place and most dollar stores have alot of good stuff to. also a cheaper accessory is ribbon it adds to a page and doesn't cost to much

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

February 26th, 2008, 06:10 PM
moms_soccer_team's Avatar Hoping 4 a happy 2010
All the other ladies have given you wonderful suggestions, so I'm just want to you

Feel free to ask questions if you need to

February 26th, 2008, 08:40 PM
berrygirll's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi & Welcome!!
I am going to join Michelle in welcoming you but I think the other ladies have covered it- can't think of anything else to add to that! Except that Michael's, JoAnn's, ACMoore & Hobby Lobby usually all put out 40% off coupon each week in their ad's so I always cut them out and if there's nothing I really "need" then I at least get my adhesive tabs, lol!
Not sure what stores you have around you but just wanted to mention the coupon in case you didn't know!
If there's anything else we can help with once you get started- ask away! :-)
Jake (16)
Sam (13)
Layla (9)
stepmom to:
Kayleigh (20)
Emilee (19)
Madison (7)

February 27th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Thank you so much ladies. We went and bought 2 books yesterday, both 12x12. My oldest Thomas picked out his book and we got Andrew one where you can design the cover. I got some paper, white and colored, and some stickers I know I would need(disney,beach & birthday). I forgot to get the adhesive tabs or glue for the pictures but I can get that later. I forgot to get more of the pages for the books, but we were in such a hurry, so I can get that later too. You ladies are so helpful.

Qucik Question - Do any of you ladies use the stickers that stick out or just normal stickers? Im not sure if I like the ones that stick out but DH thinks its a good idea since it would add dimensions.

February 27th, 2008, 05:55 AM
berrygirll's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not sure exactly what you mean but I use anything & everything, lol. Chipboard sticks out but so do other textured types of stickers.
I love dimension on a page. My two boys baby books are flat but scrapbooking was way different than what it is now.

The only downside to all the dimension is that it makes your pages bulkier to store. Layla has the same amount of pages (roughly) as the boys but whereas theirs are each in one album, hers had to be spread out over 2 albums because the pages take up more room.

Sounds like you are on your way!!
Jake (16)
Sam (13)
Layla (9)
stepmom to:
Kayleigh (20)
Emilee (19)
Madison (7)

February 27th, 2008, 06:04 AM
jbc0827
I don't have a whole lot to add to what the other ladies suggested. But I do want to welcome you. The ideas on this board are great and the ladies are even greater!!!!!! if you have a Michael's near you they do have their paper on sale frequently and the 40% coupon really helps. I can't wait to see your pages when you get them done.
February 27th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Not sure exactly what you mean but I use anything & everything, lol. Chipboard sticks out but so do other textured types of stickers.
I love dimension on a page. My two boys baby books are flat but scrapbooking was way different than what it is now.

The only downside to all the dimension is that it makes your pages bulkier to store. Layla has the same amount of pages (roughly) as the boys but whereas theirs are each in one album, hers had to be spread out over 2 albums because the pages take up more room.

Sounds like you are on your way!! [/b]
That is my big worry. I dont want a super bulky book. So I guess I will just stick with normal stickers. I checked out Michaels yesterday they didnt have any coupons or paper on sael. Im gonna go check out wal-mart this morning and see if I can find some paper and some bath stickers. I got some cute stickers at Michaels for $.50 yesterday. I picked up a few items of clearance stuff and still somehow went over my budget.

February 27th, 2008, 06:22 AM
jbc0827
Quote:
I checked out Michaels yesterday they didnt have any coupons or paper on sael. I picked up a few items of clearance stuff and still somehow went over my budget.[/b]
Michael's has ads every other week now with some exceptions. You can only get the coupons in the ads in your paper, they don't keep extra ads in store. If you have freeecycle in your area you can see if someone has a Michael's coupon they don't want during the sale weeks.

It does add up quick. I know I seem to always go over my budget too.
February 27th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I found a huge packet of paper w/ letters cut out for $6 at wal-mart. I just hope it has numbers too.

February 27th, 2008, 08:44 AM
michaelswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to say WELCOME to the board!! It looks like the ladies covered everything..but if you have any questions just ask!! Sounds like you got some great deals on scrapbooking supplies! Cant wait to see your pages and get to know you better!!

February 27th, 2008, 09:05 AM
sounds like you found some great stuff, i use some 3d stickers as long as you don't do it on every page thr bulk isn't so bad. I look forward to see the pages you make

February 27th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I can not find any bath stickers,except for the 3d stickers. If you ladies know where I can get any will you let me know.

February 27th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Quote:
I can not find any bath stickers,except for the 3d stickers. If you ladies know where I can get any will you let me know.[/b]

i have lots pm me your address and i can mail you some, any specific ones you were wanting?

February 28th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Quote:
I can not find any bath stickers,except for the 3d stickers. If you ladies know where I can get any will you let me know.[/b]

i have lots pm me your address and i can mail you some, any specific ones you were wanting?
[/b]
Sent you a pm. Thank you so much.

February 28th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Here is the 1st page I did for Thomas book. Im still not 100% positive what to do so this is very basic. Sorry pics didnt turn out to well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search