We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I hate hate hate scheduling births. I had horrid complications with my first birth, that left to almost killing the baby and a c-sect. I had 2 vbacs after that. Completely unscheduled, the births went off great. However, after that, I could not find a doctor to "allow" a vbac again. I wish wish wish I could go back in time and stand up for myself and refuse to consent. So, I had 3 more csects.
Then, with the last baby, I found a doctor (through ICAN, which is a horrible cult like nazi-natural birth group) who was willing to do a vbac. Only, turned out, he was not really willing to do a vbac. He was only willing to be neglectful. My baby almost died because he would not do his job. I ended up having to be admitted to a different hospital under a different doctors care and have an emergency csect after 44 hrs of labor. I am not going to get in to the complications I had, but I need to stay that I still firmly support vbacs and vbacs are always lower risk than repeat csects. (so, a vbac after 3 csects is lower risk than a 4th csect).
Now there is just no way. So, I know I will end up scheduling. To top it off, I think I had gestational diabetes last time, but the neglectful doctor refused to test.
SO, after that experience, I am just going to schedule the csect this time, and stay with an OB who can give GOOD prenatal care. However, for the record, I do not support the scheduling of births when there is not cause (as in, actual preE verified through blood work, not just the ole big baby excuse).
Since I am due so early in August, I could really go either way. I was thinking of saying July 30 if a girl and August 2 or 5th or so if a boy? The reasoning being that my birthday is in July, so it would be nice to have another July birthday around. But, if the baby is a boy, there is a good chance we will hold him back an extra year for kindergarten and it raises less eye brows for August birthdays. I already know if my OB had her way, she will pick more like July 25 (I know she would want that day already actually). But I do not want to go that early. Oh..and the only way I am going to convince her to wait until August 5 or 6th...well...ok..so that will be tough as I doubt she will let me wait that long. BUT, I never ever go in to labor early. I always go 2 days past due. And I want to get as close to the due date as possible. I am not asking to go beyond the due date, but I definitely do not want to go more than a few days early.
Congrats. And if I were you I wouldn't want to take a chance of going through a long labor again. I too will be scheduling my c section date at my next appt. And if I go into labor naturally before 39 weeks we will see what happens.
IMO I wouldn't wait til 40 weeks to have c section...but that's just me.
It stinks what you went through. I'm so sorry hon. I wish more doctors were pro VBAC. I wish more doctors didn't give c-sections to people who don't need them. But the situation is what it is and you have to make the best of it. May I ask the reason why you would hold a boy back a year but not a girl? I'm not judging you, by they way. I held my oldest son back a year and my daughter is working a year ahead. Long story. Anyway, nice to meet you.
Check out the Attachment Parenting Board for Effective Parenting Solutions.
PM me if have questions about autism, TTC gender swaying, natural childbirth, going "vaccine-free", or if you are looking for gentle discipline advice.
My doc usually will only do a scheduled c-section at 39 weeks. I feel that 39 weeks is a good safe time to do it. I think in your case I would definatly schedule a c-section this time. I too, will be having a c-section with this baby (I am due in June)
My OB wants to do csects at 38 weeks. 39 weeks would be Aug 1 I think. So, 38 weeks would be July. I do not think it is good to go before 39 weeks at all. And since I usually deliver late when I am allowed to go in to labor on my own, I wanted to wait until 39 weeks and a few days.
On the girl vs boy...I don't know. I am making assumptions. Everyone says boys are usually too hyper and such to go early and girls can usually handle it sooner. In reality, when the time comes, the decision will be made based on the child.
I would prefer to not schedule at all, wait until I go in to labor, and then go from there. But, I found a vbac friendly doctor with my last pregnancy, and he was horrible and irresponsible. He refused to do things like GT testing. He also refused to admit me to the hospital because I was not dilating. Which means, he was not doing any further testing. When I got to the other hospital, with the other doctor, when they opened me up to do the c-sect, I was starting to rupture. I never fully ruptured, but if I kept holding out for the bad OB, the one ICAN recommended and was militant about, then my baby and I would have died.
So, I am staying with a good doctor and just putting up with the c-sect. IF I could go back in time, I would never allow the first birth to have been induced early. I would consider a birth center birth. You get the idea.
Oh. so I know some people will get upset with me over this, but I am thinking about lying about my LMP to my OB. My perinatal will get the correct one since he is the one who runs all the tests such as first trimester screening, NT scan, etc. But my OB will have a due date that is just days, or maybe a full week off. She insists on doing the csects at 38 weeks. She actually will accept my answer if I just say no, she is very nice. but she happens to be a friend. I met her through her cousin. We are actually baking cookies together with all the kids in a couple weeks. Since she is a friend, it is hard to stand up to her. I know how it will go "I want to wait until 39 weeks" and she will say "you know I love you and your baby" and she will hug me...and we will be discussing it over lunch.