Am I the only one?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2012, 02:01 PM
BabyFever23's Avatar Proud mama & Wife
Am I the only rebel preggy who eats cold cuts, drinks coffee, 7oz of wine a month, and eats all kinds of seafood while pregnant? Lolol I have 2 boys and they are just fine. I wont be stopping with this one.
mamalamb and Momma2Chase like this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 3rd, 2012, 03:17 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I eat cold cuts and fish. I don't drink at all so no wine, I don't like coffee and I quit drinking pop, so no caffeine.
I guess I am a "rebel" because I will work my job loading trucks, where I have to be able to lift 70 lbs unassisted and sometimes up to 130lbs, until June, most likely.
I'm not a rule follower by nature, lol, so I tend to break pregnancy "rules" too.
Momma2Chase and BabyFever23 like this.
#12 is on the way
December 3rd, 2012, 03:23 PM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
I'll still eat cold cuts! I don't drink coffee or wine anyway so I'm ok there lol
As for seafood... man, I'm going to hate not eating sushi. I may have to find a way around that lol Do you still eat the raw sushi?

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

December 3rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
BOYSxTWO's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMomma View Post
I'm not a rule follower by nature, lol, so I tend to break pregnancy "rules" too.

I eat cold cuts. I eat seafood. I will drink coffee here & there (had an iced coffee this morning), but I'm not supposed to have it regardless due to acid reflux which I have had for years. I won't indulge in alcohol though. I'm sure there are plenty other "don'ts" that I "do".
BabyFever23 likes this.

Last edited by BOYSxTWO; December 3rd, 2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Adding ditto
December 3rd, 2012, 03:28 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I have never had sushi. My almost 18 yo son loves it though. I only eat cooked seafood. lol
#12 is on the way
December 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cold cuts are fine if you heat them up first.
Sea food is fine if it's not high in mercury.
My sister in law drank coffee and caffeinated soda through her pregnancy and her baby died inside of her at 8 months. While there is no way to say for sure that is the cause, studies show that women who consume 200mg or more of caffeine daily are twice as likely to have a miscarriage as those who do not consume any caffeine. Also Numerous studies on animals have shown that caffeine can cause birth defects, preterm delivery, reduced fertility, and increase the risk of low-birth weight offspring and other reproductive problems. For that reason, I'm too paranoid to drink caffeine. It just seems silly to me to take a risk over something like that. There are plenty of things that ARE 100% safe to eat and drink, so I'll stick with those things. I don't judge those who choose otherwise, though. They most likely have no reason or experience that would make them worry the way I do. Plus, whatever they do to their bodies while pregnant has nothing to do with MY kids, so to each their own.
Most doctors will tell you small amounts of caffeine (150mg-300mg) is fine.
I do think a little while during pregnancy is OK, and can even be healthy, and that is believed overseas. but in the states, they say no amount is safe. Personally, I wouldn't drink alcohol because I tend to have low progesterone and alcohol raises estrogen which lowers progesterone, so if I ever felt comfortable drinking alcohol while pregnant, it would be after the first trimester.
I also don't live my life based on "I was fine before". I smoked cigarettes for years and never got cancer, but that doesn't mean cigarettes don't raise the risk of cancer, and for that reason I quit (over 8 years ago) and will never start smoking again.
Diamond2009 likes this.

Last edited by alittlelost; December 3rd, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
December 3rd, 2012, 03:31 PM
BOYSxTWO's Avatar Veteran
I love sushi too...*huge sigh*
December 3rd, 2012, 03:34 PM
mylittleladies's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will still eat cold cuts and right now I am drinking a bottle of diet coke. I love fish. I always eat 1 can of tuna per week while pregnant.

My friend ate sushi throughout her pregnancies and both her boys are 100% ok! one is 4 the other just turned one. My friend was just moderate and always made sure to go to really good restaurant where she knew the fish was fresh.
BabyFever23 likes this.

December 3rd, 2012, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Chase View Post
I'll still eat cold cuts! I don't drink coffee or wine anyway so I'm ok there lol
As for seafood... man, I'm going to hate not eating sushi. I may have to find a way around that lol Do you still eat the raw sushi?
I dont like sushi! Lolol but I do eat eggs with runny yolk lol My cusin did eat sushi while pregnant and the baby is just fine. I could understand some of the ladies fears but I myself just refuse to drive myself crazy with all the dos and donts. If I want it im gonna eat it. Lolol

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 3rd, 2012, 04:14 PM
Just saying, it doesn't drive me crazy to avoid a couple foods But if it drives you crazy, don't do it. I just don't do the whole "I did it and my baby turned out fine." You know what, my husbands mom did heroine while pregnant with him and he turned out fine, but I don't think that means someone who did heroine before they got pregnant should continue to do it while pregnant. It's one thing when something isn't good for you, but if it might hurt the baby, there's nothing wrong with choosing to avoid some things. I really don't even notice. There are SO many things I CAN eat and drink. I don't need to rebel just to do it, especially if there are risks involved. But like I said, it hits closer to home to me because someone I was very close to lost a baby at 8 months pregnant. And you know what she said her whole pregnancy, "Lots of others moms did this and their baby turned out fine." But sadly, her baby was part of the wrong side of the statistics
December 3rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
Just saying, it doesn't drive me crazy to avoid a couple foods But if it drives you crazy, don't do it. I just don't do the whole "I did it and my baby turned out fine." You know what, my husbands mom did heroine while pregnant with him and he turned out fine, but I don't think that means someone who did heroine before they got pregnant should continue to do it while pregnant. It's one thing when something isn't good for you, but if it might hurt the baby, there's nothing wrong with choosing to avoid some things. I really don't even notice. There are SO many things I CAN eat and drink. I don't need to rebel just to do it, especially if there are risks involved. But like I said, it hits closer to home to me because someone I was very close to lost a baby at 8 months pregnant. And you know what she said her whole pregnancy, "Lots of others moms did this and their baby turned out fine." But sadly, her baby was part of the wrong side of the statistics

So sorry for your friend's loss. That must have been horrible.

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 3rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
It was my sister in law and it devastated our entire family and her entire family. and all she said all pregnancy was "Other moms do it and their babies turn out fine". I never told her how I felt because I just wanted to be supported and didn't want to judge her. In retrospect, I regret not talking to her about how those risks weren't worth it. But it's not my place to talk to strangers about that, which is why I say to each their own. But with her, it's different because she was family and I DID care what happened to the baby. It would have been my first nephew.
December 3rd, 2012, 04:50 PM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
I'm vegan so I don't have to worry about the nasty diseases you catch from eating dead animals, but I do drink coffee, I still work out - all though my RE pretty much told me nothing other then walking until he clears me at 12 weeks - I take hot baths when I feel the need.. I don't drink but unless you're getting drunk on a daily basis, a little wine or beer will not hurt baby.. I know there are some other weird little corky things people avoid but unless it seems really legit and dangerous, I pretty much do the same as I would before I was pregnant. Unless my body NEEDS and WANTS me to slow down.

December 3rd, 2012, 05:38 PM
Diamond2009's Avatar Boss Mama
I eat cold cuts once in a while and drink tea throughout my pregnancies. Thats about it

Forever in our hearts
Lauren born sleeping at 18 weeks
Boo Boo's heart stopped beating at 13 weeks

Hoping & praying for our rainbow baby after 2 back to back 2nd trimester losses

December 3rd, 2012, 05:53 PM
KASHWORTH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I eat cold cuts still, I don't normally drink caffeine but I will have a soda or something if I want it while I'm pregnant. I still work out too. I will have wine also usually but not the first trimester

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
December 3rd, 2012, 06:04 PM
I really struggle with this one, because on one hand, I have heard that you can indulge (in moderation of course) with a few "off-limits" things and be just fine. I'm not a strict rule follower by nature either, so there's a part of me that just wants to rebel.

But then I think, gosh, I waited and cried and struggled and was heartbroken over and over again for five years to get here. Why in the world would I muck that up?

So, in compromise- no alcohol at all (and I love my wine), no sushi, no cold cuts. But my morning latte? I've started asking for it with 1/2 decaf and I'm giving myself one other 12 oz. soda during the day if I absolutely cannot stand the idea of a decaffeinated one (which I'm stocking up as we speak so I really have no excuse).

In the end, we each get to decide what's right for ourselves. I have friends who've had a glass of wine (or even two) on occasion, and done all the other things too. I won't judge anyone, because that's their decision based on what they think is best for them, and I'm fine with that.
December 3rd, 2012, 06:05 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to sharitamiles
I just don't do it because I'm terrified being I work in the lab and test foods for these particular bacteria/diseases. Well I guess use to work in the lab not allowed in while pregnant. I have also suffered a loss at 35 weeks and never ate cold cut meats or drank coffee during pregnancy and I still felt like it was my fault my baby passed. I don't worry myself over not eating or drinking certain products, I more so deprive myself because I feel like I should give my baby the best start possible. I hate the fact that I have to walk in an area where cigarette smoke is because someone else smokes. I have seriously considered getting a face mask. I have had friends who drank coffee, smoke and eat cold cuts while they were pregnant. It never bothered me that they did, because everyone makes decisions for themselves. I am one of those people who thinks if I do something that you shouldn't be doing something bad will happen to me so I don't do it. Plus, it's only nine months and I'm willing to give up a lifetime to keep my baby/babies healthy. My mother stopped smoking a couple months before my baby was born because I told her she wouldn't see not hold my baby being a smoker and that went for every smoker. Sometimes I just feel like kids can't make these decisions for themselves and I don't want to put them in unnecessary harm, but that's just m opinion.

Thanks *Sharon* for my beautiful siggy.

url=http://FertilityFriend.com/home/1e1756/][/url]

Last edited by sharitamiles; December 3rd, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
December 3rd, 2012, 06:28 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I am one of those people who thinks if I do something that you shouldn't be doing something bad will happen to me so I don't do it.
Oh gosh Sharita this is so me LOL!! I can get pretty paranoid over this. I avoid cold cuts but sometimes I forget :/ , and do not drink any alcohol. I do still drink caffeine but I cut it way way back. The only sushi I like is cooked so that isn't an issue for me!

December 3rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
So well said, Sharita <3
December 3rd, 2012, 08:33 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I do avoid cold lunch meats mostly because working at the health department it gets drilled into us a lot and I have known a couple moms lose babies due to listeria. So I'm a little paranoid.

But I don't eat sushi, drink alcohol, coffee, or caffeinated drinks (on very rare occasions) ANYWAY

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search