Thoughts on Circumcision?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree40Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2012, 08:55 PM
mylittleladies's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If we have a boy he will not be circumcised, my husband is not either and has never had any problems.

I do not have a feeling towards it either, every one should choose what is best for their family. Based on beliefs, research, customs or whatever, there are good and bad things from both sides.

I just hope this topic does not turn into a debate.
Anchored and BOYSxTWO like this.

December 9th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
If we have a boy we will keep him intact. I see no valid reason to have it done and view it as a human rights issue. That's all I'm really going to say for now
JessKeller24 and c'est_la_vie like this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 9th, 2012, 10:09 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was living in Germany last year and they just came out with a law saying it is illegal to circumcise. I am on the fence. I will decide if I find out its a boy.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
December 10th, 2012, 06:16 AM
lalap's Avatar Super Teacher
Nah. We won't do it.
December 10th, 2012, 06:28 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
My son is left whole, he is 2. No increase of infections, its not gross or dirty. Its perfect.. Like nature intended. I leave it up to them.. Their body.. their choice. I wouldn't want my parents cutting my genitals.
JessKeller24 likes this.

December 10th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank goodness FGM aka female circumcision isn't common in the US like it is in other countries. That is simply terrifying
c'est_la_vie likes this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
December 10th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Mommy of 3
Nope we don't do it.
It's not routinely done in Ireland or the U.K at all. Honestly before I had my son I didn't even realise it was done so much over here. I thought it was just a Jewish tradition.

December 10th, 2012, 03:25 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is something I always left up to my husband, but if it was up to me, I'd leave them intact. Infections aren't generally a problem and where they are it's due to poor hygiene. No one should be circumcising their child just so they don't have to properly clean them. A child should be cleaned properly either way, and if you are doing that, infection from non-circumcision is generally a non-issue. Also, when we were growing up, most boys were circumcised, so I can understand how that could make the locker room uncomfortable in school at that time. However, I don't see why a boy should need to get that naked in a locker room in the first place. Changing for gym requires getting down to your underwear, but not being completely naked. Also, currently (since 2005) only 56% of boys are circumcised in America. Finally, I don't think uncircumcised looks bad. It just looks different.

However, to offer balanced feedback here, I will say that in august of this year The American Academy of Pediatrics announced they believe the health benefits of circumcision clearly outweigh the risks. More info at the link below:
Pediatricians Decide Boys Are Better Off Circumcised Than Not : Shots - Health News : NPR

(I don't personally go by everything the AAP says otherwise we would still be vaccinating our kids. Then again, we don't follow the majority for most things. We don't hit/spank/whatever cute word people want to use our kids, either. I'm not to concerned with most parenting decisions people make for their kids, ie: breast versus bottle, cosleeping versus crib sleeping or cry it out, etc--however, I do care about some issues as they affect other people and not just their children. Some things parents do to their children can affect how their children interact with my children, and those tend to be the only topics I see worth debating over, though in the end I still respect differences and figure it's my job to raise my kids to know how to deal with people who are maybe unpleasant from a cruel/insensitive upbringing)

If we have another boy, most likely my husband will want him circumcised again. It's a hard decision to make because it's hard to make a decision about your child's body that is permanent when they have no say in the matter. However, getting circumcised as an adult is a much harder thing to do, and from what I hear many men make the argument that they wish there parents had circumcised them (where I've not heard any wishing their parent's hadn't, though I'm sure there are men out there who feel that way, too).

Hope that helps.
Beachbabies likes this.

Last edited by alittlelost; December 10th, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
December 10th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for posting that link. I thought I saw that so I was confused by the previous poster.

I believe, as many of you ladies have also said, that each parent needs to make this decision based on what they believe is right for their family. I also think it is responsible to do some research to make a more informed decision. I really appreciate how we've managed to keep this thread peaceful. This has become a heated debate in my other DDC's.

Both my boys are circ'd.
alittlelost likes this.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
December 10th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I agree! With any parenting decision, I think really the most important things are to
1) educate yourself on your options
2) do what is best for YOUR family
3) stop worrying about decisions other people make for their kids unless those decisions will somehow impact your kids or are illegal.

I know that last one is hard to do sometimes, especially in mommy groups (since mommy groups are generally full of people who are concerned with the welfare of children and all have their opinions on what is in a child's best interest) but if you want to be friends with other mommies, this is important.

Also, to share a bit of a story, I remember when the vax debates used to happen and I would judge "all those crazy moms who don't vaccinate when everyone knows you have to vaccinate them!" I didn't even research it. I thought why should I when the answers are obvious. Well, my son had a bad reaction to a vaccine and that is when I finally started researching BOTH sides of the information out there, most particularly unbiased, un-slanted facts. I had wanted to come up with a delayed/selective vax schedule but in the end we decided not to vaccinate. Now I am one of those mom's I used to judge. I thought I knew it all, I thought it was obvious. Now I know that's not the case, so I keep an open mind and am constantly reviewing new data to decide what I still think is best for my own family. I no longer judge others for their decision either way because I realize how sometimes you really think you are doing the right thing for your child and anything else would be the worst parenting decision ever . . . only to later find out you had it all wrong, even when you thought it was impossible you could be wrong at all. So, yeah, no judgement from me, and I learned that sometimes I might just be plain wrong about something, no matter what I think. And when other people get on my case, I don't bother arguing back, because I remember being in their mindset, too, and that you can't change the mind of someone who doesn't want their mind changed. So if someone thinks I'm a crazy lady for not vaccinating, who cares? think I'm crazy/irresponsible/horrible, whatever. In the end, I am still going to do what is best for my kids, and I will be thankful every day that I get to decide what that is an not have someone else's opinions forced onto my children.
Beachbabies likes this.
December 10th, 2012, 04:23 PM
In regards to the new AAP statement, here are some good reviews/critiques of the research behind it

peaceful parenting: AAP Circumcision Policy Statement: A Critique

Response to American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Circumcision Policy Statement
Beachbabies likes this.

December 11th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Naturally There's two sides to every debate. Though the APP currently recommends it, I personally wouldn't choose to do it (if it were my choice) in the same way I don't vaccinate despite the CDC insisting it's what is best. Everyone needs to research both sides and do what is best for their family
December 11th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If we have a boy, he will remain intact. I feel strongly against it after researching and watching videoes and looking at both sides of the argument. Female genital circumcision is considered taboo and the argument of infection with boys is not a strong one anymore.
December 11th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Crystals InK's Avatar Regular
My 3yr old son IS circumsized, and I am very happy with how it turned out. I did not have it done traditionally, I had the "plasty belt" put on his. Its kind of like folding the foreskin back and putting a band on it to cut the circulation off. His foreskin fell off a few days before his umbilical cord. Very natural, NO CUTTING, and you dont have to worry about the baby screaming everytime he urinates because there is no open wound.

So as far as this pregnancy, IF IT IS A BOY....

ABSOLUTELY! My SO is NOT circumsized, and doesnt not want it done to his baby but OH WELL. I am not having my son picked on because most every other penis looks different than his..IT IS more hygenic to me. However this is JUST MY opinion
December 11th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Just food for thought, only about 25-30% of boys in the US are being circumcised now. So the "teasing" argument is actually starting to swing the other way, where boys who ARE cut will be in the minority

December 11th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Yep, it's about 50/50 now re:cut/not cut (in my country specifically). I wouldn't recommend circ'ing for that reason. Also, I personally would raise my kids not to feel like it's normal to tease people for being different and also I wouldn't make decisions about my kids well-being based on whether they will or won't be teased. Personally, I don't care which way the teasing argument swings because it's never been, to me and for my family, a good thing to base this decision on.
Kelllilee likes this.
December 11th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Mrshall84's Avatar Regular
I agree it is a completely personal choice! Just as with anything there are pros and cons. If I have a boy I am leaning towards yes but I will still discus it with my hubby and my dr so we can decide what we feel is best.
alittlelost likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search