Female Gynea/ob vs Male Gynea/ob

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By mrskfet
  • 1 Post By Mrshall84
  • 1 Post By mariri
  • 1 Post By Beachbabies
  • 2 Post By Dandelion
  • 1 Post By jessicag

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2012, 07:19 AM
mariri's Avatar Veteran
i have no issues with the sex of my gynea/ob but hubby does, he preferes a female cos he believes a female gynea has got the personal physical experience which a male gynea will never have
December 12th, 2012, 07:22 AM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
Ironically, my hubby doesnt care but I do lol he said he didnt care if a male or female was my doctor as long as I have somebody. Im so shy about my womanly parts that I think I would die of embarrassment if I had a man doctor lol
mariri likes this.
December 12th, 2012, 07:37 AM
mariri's Avatar Veteran
i dont care but in the past i only had male gyneas and they were super
December 12th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Mrshall84's Avatar Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskfet View Post
Ironically, my hubby doesnt care but I do lol he said he didnt care if a male or female was my doctor as long as I have somebody. Im so shy about my womanly parts that I think I would die of embarrassment if I had a man doctor lol
Agreed! My hubby is the same as long as my dr is experienced and that I feel comfortable with and trust. But personally I want a female! I am so shy as well I have already started telling hubby that when the time comes and I'm ready to push he isnít allowed to watch or hold my leg.
mrskfet likes this.
December 12th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Veteran
Before getting pregnant, I had all female GYNs. My first OB was a woman, the second was a man. This time I'm at a midwifery group that is all female. I don't think my husband cares at all but I generally prefer a woman. Though I ended up with a man because I like how he practiced medicine best of the providers who delivered at my hospital of choice. But, I found when the time came to push, I didn't much care who was down there!
December 12th, 2012, 07:43 AM
mariri's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrshall84 View Post
Agreed! My hubby is the same as long as my dr is experienced and that I feel comfortable with and trust. But personally I want a female! I am so shy as well I have already started telling hubby that when the time comes and I'm ready to push he isnít allowed to watch or hold my leg.
lol
Mrshall84 likes this.
December 12th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Diamond2009's Avatar Boss Mama
I've had both male and female OB's but i prefer female. The one i have had for my last 2 pregnancies and this one has been female.
Forever in our hearts
Lauren born sleeping July 5th 2012 at 18 weeks
Boo Boo's heart stopped beating at 13 weeks D&C Feb 2013
Miscarriage at 8 weeks 1 day November 27 2014

December 12th, 2012, 07:53 AM
MandersM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a female GP/OB & she was terrible. Then I got a new GP who was female & she was good, but she just did my annual PAPs. My OB will be a male. My DH and I both met & really like him. As long as they are knowledgable and professional that's all I care about. I'm not comfortable with anyone besides DH down in my naughty bits, so it doesn't matter to me if it is a male or female OB!
December 12th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's more about the person than it is gender for me. I now happen to have a male ob and male perinatologist that I love. My peri works in a group of 6 and I was able to get to know them all last pregnancy. There are 4 men and 2 women and I'd be happy with any of them delivering. One of the men kind of lacks social skills but he's really good at what he does so I guess I'd have to overlook his social skills.

I had a bad experience with my ob with Chase. She was rude and condescending and didn't believe me when I was 37 weeks and in full blown labor. But that had nothing to do with gender, just personality and professionalism, which she clearly didn't have.
mariri likes this.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
December 12th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had the same male OBGYN for the past 7 years and he's great! His bedside manner is wonderful & he's just all around a nice calm guy. DH isn't the type of guy that would get bothered by the sex of my doctor so that's never been a problem. And even if it was, I always do my own thing anyways. My body, my choice.
Mrshall84 and MandersM like this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
December 12th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's definitely more about the person than gender here too. I have had both, but I prefer women.

Quote:
I have already started telling hubby that when the time comes and I'm ready to push he isnít allowed to watch or hold my leg.
Lol, I told DH this too when I had DS, but when it came down to it I didn't end up caring

December 12th, 2012, 08:05 AM
mariri's Avatar Veteran
its our first baby so i just want him to be involved and comfortable, so i will go for a female as long as i get comfortable with her
December 12th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Veteran
I prefer female practitioners in general, i just feel they are better listeners and care more about what I think/feel. In the end it does come down to the individual doctor, there are just some people you click with and some you don't. When it comes down to it, you really need someone you feel comfortable with.
December 12th, 2012, 08:12 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Doesn't matter to me. I slightly prefer male more, because the female docs are always so rough doing an intnal exam. And because I feel like if I talk to a female about birth control, and she used the same one with no problems, she seems to think others wont.

December 12th, 2012, 08:20 AM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
I told mine the EXACT same thing! he is allowed to hold my hand and wipe my forehead with a damp cloth, but if he tries to sneak a peek at my womanly parts, I WILL kick him out of the room lmao
December 12th, 2012, 08:38 AM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like both for diffrent things. I prefer a male OBGYN for phsycial exams because they are more gental. I had some females that were borderline violent (overexageration of course but still, not good times. ). However I prefer women for the other half of it, the talking, reassuring, I always felt more comfortable expressing certain concerns with a female.

All that said, I started my pregnancy with DS with a female and at about 8 weeks till delivery had a fantastic male doctor. So far I have a female this pregnancy but they are a practice so I will more then likely see all of the doctors at least once.
JessKeller24 likes this.

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

December 12th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't mind either way-- the Gyn I see for yearly exams is a man but he is "retired" from the Obstetrics part of the practice. So when I'm pregnant, I switch over to the Obstetricians and at this practice they happen to only have female Obs. All the doctors there are great though, I can't complain!

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

December 13th, 2012, 09:02 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a female with my first and LOVED her, then moved and had males with my boys. Now with this one, I have female again and she handled my miscarriage so well, I'm SO glad I switched.

December 13th, 2012, 11:19 AM
BOYSxTWO's Avatar Veteran
I've had a male before, but I prefer females.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search