dying hair

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mrshall84
  • 1 Post By KASHWORTH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 12th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Diamond2009's Avatar Boss Mama
Do you while pregnant or do you plan to?

I havent really needed to with my other pregnancies however now that i'm older i'm getting some greys and my hair is black now so they show so much easier plus now that i'm pregnant i find my hair growing faster which shows the greys faster. I want to know if i could dye my hair and if so which semester would be the best time.

Forever in our hearts
Lauren born sleeping July 5th 2012 at 18 weeks
Boo Boo's heart stopped beating at 13 weeks D&C Feb 2013

Hoping & praying for our rainbow baby after 2 back to back 2nd trimester losses

December 12th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't but I need a touchup so I will be.

This is on my Ob's website: Can_I_Do

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

December 12th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I don't... but I want to. There's a lot of controversy over whether or not it's safe, so for me, it's not worth the risk.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 12th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Mrshall84's Avatar Regular
I'm a license cosmetologist and in based on what I got taught in school. Its mostly personal preference and what your dr thinks. If you are in a well ventilated area then you should be fine after the 1st trimester. The 2 most common reasons its suggested to not dye your hair is A) because of the pregnancy hormones now in your body your skin may be more sensitive. You could have an allergic reaction to something that you normally would have been fine using. B) Because most women have a change in body temperature your color may not come out the color you want.

I have known many hairstylists who working doing hair while pregnant, breathing in the fumes coming in contact with the chemicals and even getting their hair done and their babies were perfectly healthy.

I think it is really a personal opinion and if you are worried I would just talk to your dr or look into natural dyes like henna or something "vegan" friendly that does not contain the chemicals typical color does.
Anchored likes this.
December 12th, 2012, 10:13 AM
KnitterLaurel's Avatar Super Mommy
I wouldn't, but I can tend to the paranoid and avoid things are fine in moderation, like caffeine. I have some grays too and just embrace them. lol But then again I think my mom's pure white hair is awesome and probably won't ever dye my grays away. lol I'm not normal....I know....

December 12th, 2012, 10:44 AM
KASHWORTH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would wait until after the first trimester and then it should be fine. Hair dyes are a lot different these days than they used to be and they aren't very dangerous.
Mrshall84 likes this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
December 12th, 2012, 10:46 AM
KeLLiC09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was wondering this as well. I've been wanting to do mine. I usually do the 28 wash color but have been wanting to do a permanent color. I'll wait and ask my doctor.
and Mason Jacob born 08.12.13

December 12th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Mommy of 3
I've always gotten my hair high-lighted during my pregnancies with no problems at all

December 12th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never have but I think I will end up doing so. I had my hair dyed dark brown a few months ago and is growing out obviously. My light brown hair roots almost look gray I don't have gray hair so I don't want to look like I do.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
December 13th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Diamond2009's Avatar Boss Mama
Yeh i know its a personal decision...i'm going to ask my OB and see what she says.

Forever in our hearts
Lauren born sleeping July 5th 2012 at 18 weeks
Boo Boo's heart stopped beating at 13 weeks D&C Feb 2013

Hoping & praying for our rainbow baby after 2 back to back 2nd trimester losses

December 13th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrshall84 View Post
I'm a license cosmetologist and in based on what I got taught in school. Its mostly personal preference and what your dr thinks. If you are in a well ventilated area then you should be fine after the 1st trimester. The 2 most common reasons its suggested to not dye your hair is A) because of the pregnancy hormones now in your body your skin may be more sensitive. You could have an allergic reaction to something that you normally would have been fine using. B) Because most women have a change in body temperature your color may not come out the color you want.

I have known many hairstylists who working doing hair while pregnant, breathing in the fumes coming in contact with the chemicals and even getting their hair done and their babies were perfectly healthy.

I think it is really a personal opinion and if you are worried I would just talk to your dr or look into natural dyes like henna or something "vegan" friendly that does not contain the chemicals typical color does.
This is what my hairstylist has said too I had my hair done after the 1st trimester last time and will probably do that this pregnancy too. She uses safe organic dye. My ob also says its fine.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
December 14th, 2012, 02:27 PM
BabyFever23's Avatar Proud mama & Wife
Im processing some hair color as we speak. Never had an issue but this is just me.

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 14th, 2012, 02:34 PM
EVY&EGYsMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes i usually get it done once in the second tri and once in the last try. I just get highlights. I have with my last two pregnancies.

December 14th, 2012, 02:51 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will eventually, I need some high or low lights BAD!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search