Bad findings at my ultrasound

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2012, 02:29 PM
round2t's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Part of me wishes I would have never gone in... I've had a feeling this whole time that something hasn't quite been right but I let go of that and just chalked it up to this being my first pregnancy and not knowing what I'm supposed to be expecting.

They started out with an abdominal ultrasound... saw the sac, "baby", and a heartbeat but couldn't get any measurements because it's too early. This part of the appointment showed two humongous cysts on my right ovary. She said it's pretty common in women that use Clomid and that they will eventually shrink and go away but for now they're just going to be a source of pain to me (and progesterone). So while I had a huge sigh of relief after she said she saw a heartbeat, ehh....

During the vaginal ultrasound, the tech didn't seem concerned about anything, everything she said was "just about normal" but I caught multiple times that the largest she could possibly measure my bean at was 5w5d (I'm 6w2d). She said the heart rate was acceptable.

Then, she had me wait to talk to the high risk maternal fetal medicine doctor. He pulled us into his office, went over some pictures, then said "Your ultrasound looks good! The fetal heart rate on the other hand, I do not like - it's only 96 beats per minute and that is low. Honestly, it can go either way in situations like this... I'm thinking this baby is looking at a 40% chance. Please come back in 2 weeks. IF you start bleeding before then, call your OBGYN."

Seriously?

And to top it off, my next appointment either had to be Christmas Eve, or not until the FOLLOWING Monday so I'm an IDIOT and scheduled it for Christmas Eve What a wonderful day to prepare myself for ... awesome way to make the holiday season great.

I am so sick with worry, throwing up, and can't stop crying. I don't know how I'm going to work a 13 hour day tomorrow ... and get through the next 11 days knowing my news is likely not going to be good.

Last edited by round2t; December 13th, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
December 13th, 2012, 02:37 PM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
I was told I *was* miscarrying with my youngest.. He is 2 now. Waiting is hard, but these things have SO much room for error.. Being off that many days isn't really that bad considering the tiny the baby is to begin with, its hard to get a good enough measure this early anyways. I hope you get good results and you can have a beautiful Christmas with your little baby growing away inside you. I'll keep you in my thoughts, lots of hugs!

December 13th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my goodness I'm so sorry you are having to worry & wait it out.
They didn't sound like they were very sensitive to the fact that this whole situation might upset you. I will keep you & your baby in my thoughts and prayers.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
December 13th, 2012, 02:41 PM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My pregnancy emails said that at 6 weeks the HB is between 100 and 160, so according to that 96 isn't horrible. Prayers that everything turns out ok!

December 13th, 2012, 03:07 PM
~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to ~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~*Dolphin~Dreamer*~
Thinking about you hun. I hope things go well!!!!!

Big HUGS

December 13th, 2012, 03:13 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
try not to panic. Measuring a few days behind is NORMAL. The heartrate usually IS low when it first starts beating, which is right around now. they seem to have panicked you over things that are usually normal. *hugs*
mamalamb likes this.
December 13th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Praying that all is well at your next ultrasound! I hate that you have to go in on Christmas Eve, though

I don't know much about fetal heartrates but I would take what these other ladies say and keep the faith!

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

December 13th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Yep, they were so certain my DD was a miscarriage that at my next visit they asked if I was there for depo O.o
December 13th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Super Mommy
Hugs and prayers to you, love. I hope you get a wonderful Christmas Eve gift!
December 13th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Babymed says -

"Between 5 to 9 weeks of gestation there is a rapid increase in the mean heart rate. Normal embryos start at under 85 beats per minute heart rate and it then increases from 110 to 175 beats per minutes (bpm) and stabilizes around 120-160 beats per minute.
The lower the fetal heart rate is around 6-8 weeks the higher the miscarriage rate can be predicted.A fetal heart rate below 70 beats per minute around 6-8 weeks usually predicts a miscarriage. A fetal heart rate below 90 beats per minutes is associated with a 86% miscarriage rate, and a fetal heart rate below 120 bpm is associated with a approximately 50% miscarriage rate."

I can see where the Doc is getting his MC percentages from, but you're not even 6 weeks yet, the heart has just begun beating!

and this woman had the same exact situation you do now and her baby was fine at the follow-up...

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...eks-amp-4-Days

Seems like the Doc is jumping the gun a bit. Measuring a little behind is totally normal. Anything can happen at this stage in the game, but the fact that they saw a baby and a heartbeat seems pretty good to me for 5w/5d. A lot of people go in at this point and just a see a sac - hang in there, you're sure to get better news at the next US, it's definitely not over at this point!!!
alittlelost likes this.

Last edited by Rhonda66; December 13th, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
December 13th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
the best thing you could do right now is to just take it easy. Stress can cause your bean to be stressed too . I'm sorry you had a not so great appt but things can turn around . with my daughter I was told at 6 weeks when I started bleeding that I'd likely miscarry. Three yrs later she's sitting beside me driving me nuts ;-). I know it's scary but try not to stress *hugs*
alittlelost likes this.
December 13th, 2012, 05:03 PM
annabelpolo's Avatar SAHMommy expecting #2
:hugs: I know its hard but try not to worry and stress yourself. Im sure you will be getting good news on your next appointment

December 13th, 2012, 05:14 PM
KASHWORTH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
:hugs: you could be a little earlier than you thought. Babies heart beats slower in the beginning before it gets faster.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
December 13th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Diamond2009's Avatar Boss Mama
Marla i totally agree with the other ladies....measuring a few days behind at so early on is normal and the heartbeat is normal for your gestation so i dont know why he is jumping the gun...doesnt sound too sympathetic. Please try to stay positive and dont stress. I pray that Christmas Eve you get the best news ever.
mamalamb likes this.

Forever in our hearts
Lauren born sleeping July 5th 2012 at 18 weeks
Boo Boo's heart stopped beating at 13 weeks D&C Feb 2013

Hoping & praying for our rainbow baby after 2 back to back 2nd trimester losses

December 13th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
what the other ladies said. From what we've all read, measuring a bit behind is totally normal, and you're so so early, the heart has barely started up. Doctors have a habit of scaring the ever living crap out of you for NO reason. I hate that. I mean, seriously. How can WE know more about these things than OB's?? Thoughts and prayers with you and the LO., Marla.

December 13th, 2012, 11:17 PM
mylittleladies's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok you are barley 6 weeks, the baby is so tiny measurements could be off so easily, you could have ovulated a few days later and this early in the game 2 days makes a huge difference. Speaking from experience I would not worry till you are closer to 8 weeks. I went in at 6.5 weeks with my first 2 and did not even see a baby, let alone a heartbeat. Exactly 1 week later I went and saw a baby with a heartbeat.

Like other ladies have said stay calm, and think as positive as you can.
I really hope that you get a wonderful surprise when you go next time. Hugs sweetie.

December 14th, 2012, 04:43 AM
my first u/s at 5 weeks 4 days they told me I was "about 5 weeks" and I panicked a little. but my u/s at 5 weeks 6 days (2 days later) they told me I was 5 weeks 6 days.
December 14th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Mommy of 3
I'm so sorry you're going through this.like the other ladies said its so early really anything could happen.
Praying you get a great surprise Christmas Eve!!

December 14th, 2012, 06:59 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Prayers for your peace of mind and a positive u/s on Christmas eve. I agree with all the other ladies, at this point in time a few days make a huge difference.
#12 is on the way
December 14th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh hon I am so sorry you had such an awful appointment I will be praying for a healthy baby and a wonderful Christmas Eve scan.

I know that some doctors prefer just straight truth, but geez, he sounded a bit insensitive. I agree with the other ladies, I think it's too early to determine a miscarriage from a low heartbeat when it literally could have started beating a few hours before.

My ob didn't even bother counting the bpm yesterday, he just noticed that a heartbeat was there, which he said was great for 6wks2days.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search