Log In Sign Up

Which Old Wives Tales hold Truth, Which Don't


Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MyFantasticFour
  • 1 Post By Dandelion
  • 1 Post By Dandelion

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
December 15th, 2012, 01:41 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,905
This article is really interesting (skip the intro about the Beckhams if you want).

| The Sun |Woman|Health|Health

Summary:

Holds Truth:
Daddy Gaining weight with the mom means girl
Acne Means Girl
Morning Sickness
Cold Feet
Mother's Instinct (right 71% of the time!)

Doesn't Hold Water:
Cravings
How you "Carry"
Round and Rosy Face means girl
Heartbeat (though this is true for babies AFTER they are born)
Breasts

Unsupported:
Chinese Gender Calculator


You have to read the article to get the full details. This does not mean "If you have M/S you will DEFINITELY have a girl" it just means they did studies and noticed that certain symptoms are noticeable more common with certain genders.
__________________
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!
Check out the Attachment Parenting Board for Effective Parenting Solutions.
PM me if have questions about autism, TTC gender swaying, natural childbirth, going "vaccine-free", or if you are looking for gentle discipline advice.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
December 15th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,706
Very interesting... It'll be nice to see if anyone uses them this go round and see if it's accurate for anyone
__________________


*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*






Reply With Quote
  #3  
December 15th, 2012, 06:15 PM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,302
None of those have worked for me lol I've been wrong about the gender 2/3 times. My feet are always cold. I had barely any morning sickness with my first, morning sickness from 5-25 weeks with my second, and none with my third. Acne with my first only. The heartrate has always been 150+ for my girls though. I have all girls. I even did that peeing on baking soda thing last time. I officially give up trying to guess gender early! I also tried that placental location thing but that was wrong too!
alittlelost likes this.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #4  
December 15th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Neverland
Posts: 2,726
Well I don't believe most of it. My Bff had the world's worst morning sickness I've ever seen & she had a boy.

I trust mother's intuition though, at least my own. That same Bff that had a boy, everyone including her thought girl... Except me. And I was right lol I was also right both times with my babies and on guessing the twin genders of another friend (boy & girl).

Maybe I'm a womb psychic hahaha
__________________

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
December 15th, 2012, 08:11 PM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
Well I don't believe most of it. My Bff had the world's worst morning sickness I've ever seen & she had a boy.

I trust mother's intuition though, at least my own. That same Bff that had a boy, everyone including her thought girl... Except me. And I was right lol I was also right both times with my babies and on guessing the twin genders of another friend (boy & girl).

Maybe I'm a womb psychic hahaha
Then what am I having?! lol
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #6  
December 15th, 2012, 08:38 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,219
They are just a fun, I was always told with #1 that it was a boy by the way I was carrying, she was a girl. I craved sweets with my boys and steak with my daughter. I had the worst morning sickness with her and was sent to the hospital several times a week to get ivs and hospitalized once for vomitting blood, in there for 2 days. UGGH.
__________________
Mom of 2 girls and 3 boys
Missing my 4 angels too precious for this earth: 2/22/04, 12/13/06, 4/22/08, 11/16/12

Reply With Quote
  #7  
December 15th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Neverland
Posts: 2,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanresu View Post

Then what am I having?! lol
Haha I think it only works on people I know in real life but I'm thinking boy. Lol lol
__________________

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
December 15th, 2012, 09:44 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,905
I think the point isn't that some of these wives tales are true. (Ie, morning sickness means you are having a girl) but rather that STATISTICALLY, those who have girls are more likely to have morning sickness. Here, in case ppl didn't read the article to see the full research behind this, I'll copy over some quotes.

MORNING

SICKNESS
MYTH: If you are sick throughout the pregnancy, it will be a girl. But if you have little or no morning sickness you will have a boy.
REALITY: Mothers ARE more likely to have serious morning sickness if they are expecting a girl. A study of more than a million pregnancies in Sweden from 1987 to 1995 showed it was far more likely in women carrying a female child. Dr Michael Swiet, from the Institute of Obstetrics and Gynaecology in London, said: “There could be all sorts of explanations. Morning sickness is something to do with hormones — girl babies may produce different hormones and that could be part of the problem.”


So, in short, if you have a girl, you're more likely to have M/S. But you can still have it with a boy. In other words, I just think this means STATISTICALLY it is more rare to not have m/s with a girl than it is to not have m/s with a boy.

DADDY’S

WEIGHT
MYTH: If the baby’s father piles on the pounds during pregnancy then you are having a girl. But if he doesn’t put on a pound, it’s a boy.
REALITY: Experts in Denmark believe the dad’s weight MAY give you some tell-tale signs. In a study of 100 dads-to-be, nearly every one who put on weight later had a baby girl. But only five of the dads who had a boy were heavier on the scales.


See, basically it's just statistics. They aren't saying "if this happens, you will have this gender" but rather that statistically, "when you have this gender, this is more common than it is with the other gender"

Sorry for being a pedantic nerd
__________________
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!
Check out the Attachment Parenting Board for Effective Parenting Solutions.
PM me if have questions about autism, TTC gender swaying, natural childbirth, going "vaccine-free", or if you are looking for gentle discipline advice.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
December 15th, 2012, 09:55 PM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
Haha I think it only works on people I know in real life but I'm thinking boy. Lol lol
that would be pretty cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
I think the point isn't that some of these wives tales are true. (Ie, morning sickness means you are having a girl) but rather that STATISTICALLY, those who have girls are more likely to have morning sickness. Here, in case ppl didn't read the article to see the full research behind this, I'll copy over some quotes.

MORNING

SICKNESS
MYTH: If you are sick throughout the pregnancy, it will be a girl. But if you have little or no morning sickness you will have a boy.
REALITY: Mothers ARE more likely to have serious morning sickness if they are expecting a girl. A study of more than a million pregnancies in Sweden from 1987 to 1995 showed it was far more likely in women carrying a female child. Dr Michael Swiet, from the Institute of Obstetrics and Gynaecology in London, said: “There could be all sorts of explanations. Morning sickness is something to do with hormones — girl babies may produce different hormones and that could be part of the problem.”


So, in short, if you have a girl, you're more likely to have M/S. But you can still have it with a boy. In other words, I just think this means STATISTICALLY it is more rare to not have m/s with a girl than it is to not have m/s with a boy.

DADDY’S

WEIGHT
MYTH: If the baby’s father piles on the pounds during pregnancy then you are having a girl. But if he doesn’t put on a pound, it’s a boy.
REALITY: Experts in Denmark believe the dad’s weight MAY give you some tell-tale signs. In a study of 100 dads-to-be, nearly every one who put on weight later had a baby girl. But only five of the dads who had a boy were heavier on the scales.


See, basically it's just statistics. They aren't saying "if this happens, you will have this gender" but rather that statistically, "when you have this gender, this is more common than it is with the other gender"

Sorry for being a pedantic nerd
Did they attempt to give any explanation to the dad's weight thing? That seems odd since dad wouldn't know the gender or anything. Or do you mean that they it just so happened that more of the girl dads coincidentally put on weight? I have not taken statistics yet so sorry if I'm clueless lol
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #10  
December 15th, 2012, 10:14 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,905
Basically, it just means that in that study, EVERY dad having a girl put on weight, but ONLY 5 dads having boys did. They don't know why. My guess might be that women for some reason (which would also need to be explained) select fattier/higher calories foods while pregnant, and their husbands are eating with them? Or perhaps they aren't feeling as well or are more tired than boy pregnancies, so the whole family is staying home more and not as active? I really don't know, but it's fascinating data and does make you wonder what causes these things.
__________________
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!
Check out the Attachment Parenting Board for Effective Parenting Solutions.
PM me if have questions about autism, TTC gender swaying, natural childbirth, going "vaccine-free", or if you are looking for gentle discipline advice.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
December 15th, 2012, 10:15 PM
Dirtroads's Avatar Facta Non Verba
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 8,125
Alright! I guess I can be happy that I am suffering from the worst acne ever!
__________________
I'm Kandie,wife to Phillip, mom to Abby who is 5.

Make a pregnancy ticker
Reply With Quote
  #12  
December 16th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Neverland
Posts: 2,726
Dh gained weight with my last pregnancy. I think a lot of men do in general. Lol
BeachMum likes this.
__________________

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
December 16th, 2012, 05:46 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,905
Oh, for sure. The statistics on it are just interesting! It could be that men who work out a lot have higher testosterone, which sways boy, and the men who don't work out a lot and thus gaining weight HAHA
__________________
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!
Check out the Attachment Parenting Board for Effective Parenting Solutions.
PM me if have questions about autism, TTC gender swaying, natural childbirth, going "vaccine-free", or if you are looking for gentle discipline advice.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:05 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0