Who plans on breastfeeding?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 16th, 2012, 09:28 AM
mommy2skyty's Avatar Super Mommy
Do you plan on breastfeeding, pumping, or formula feeding?

I must admit I am soo excited at the opportunity to breastfeed again! I had many issues trying to breastfeed my daughter so I only made it a week but I did manage to exclusively pump for about 4 months. My supply dried up and I had to formula feed her until she was one. When I had my son I was determined to breastfeed and I am soo lucky that I had no problems right from the start. People told me I wouldn't be able to do it with a 19 month old. I am soo happy I proved everyone wrong and I was able to successfully breastfeed my son an amazing 3 years and I am soo proud of that So I have had the expirence of breastfeeding, pumping, and also formula feeding so I feel like I could give advice to anyone looking for it and I would never judge anyones chioces as a mommy

Skyla Helen- Feb 2nd, 2008
Tyler Lyman- Sep 6th, 2009

Quinn Kayden- Aug 17th, 2013

My kids are growing up soo fast!
December 16th, 2012, 09:33 AM
BOYSxTWO's Avatar Veteran
BF...and try to pump the one day I go back into the office.
December 16th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan on breastfeeding, but since I work, my maternity leave ends when the baby will be 6 weeks old. I'll have to start pumping after that, so she/he can still have breast-milk during the day. Anyone have experience with doing this?

December 16th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
If all goes according to plan, I definitely hope to breastfeed.
I tried to BF my son, but that didn't work out so well. I managed it for about a week, and started to dry up (and never had a letdown of any sort)... at wits end (it was late on a Friday night), I gave him formula because he was screaming his head off because he was hungry and no matter how much he nursed he wasn't getting anything. I have nothing against formula at all, but definitely was saddened that I couldn't do what I planned.

I had called my pediatrician's office (they have an on staff lactation consultant) first thing Monday after I started to formula feed in case it wasn't too late. Unfortunately for me, though, I also WORKED at that office and when I called to leave a message for the LC, my friend/coworker didn't take me seriously and never passed the message on! The LC was only in 2 times per week so by time I finally got in touch with her it was a week and a half later.

I was even more upset when she told me that women with PCOS can have a harder time getting their milk supply, and that all I would have needed to do was restart my Metformin!!!! I was so upset--- but now I know for this time!

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

December 16th, 2012, 09:49 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I plan to do whatever is best for my family when the time comes, and I also plan to support any decision anyone here makes about how they feed their babies

I breastfed my first for 18 months, My daughter for 2 years, and my youngest for about 3 years.

Allie--pumping can be difficult, but manageable. You may need to take supplements to keep your supply up if you want your baby to be exclusively breastfed (a pump cannot empty a breast as well as a baby, and the breast being empty is what tells your body to make more milk--this is why if you have a low supply it's suggested that you pump for 5 minutes AFTER the milk stops coming out). You'll probably need to pump for 10-15 minutes on each side every 2 hours (hopefully your job won't mind that?) early on to pump enough milk. Then later, it won't be as often. Also, you'll want a top of the line pump. I recommend the Medela Pump In Style. It's crazy how short maternity leave is in our country compared to other countries
Allie_SMg likes this.
December 16th, 2012, 09:56 AM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I want to breast feed but I don't have a good job and can't afford to take too long off (single mom here) so who knows what I'll have to do.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
December 16th, 2012, 09:59 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Breastfeed. I'm still nursing my almost 15 month old.

December 16th, 2012, 10:09 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I plan to try to breastfeed for at least six months...in this area I will be like a first time mom and probably have lots of questions! Our first had to be delivered early and spent time in the NICU, also had feeding problems and a feeding tube for a short time, it just dodn't end up being possible to bf her. She ended up on Nutramigen. My second, I tried, sort of, and I bf her for about 4-6 weeks but I was trying to mainly pump so I could have help with feedings and I dried up. I want to try harder this time as it may be my last shot at it. Is it impossible to pump and have dh do a few feedings during the first few weeks without drying up? Do I HAVE to have a medical grade expensive electric pump? I also am a HUGE paci fan....is there any way to use these without screwing up in the bf department? Told you I would have a lot of questions LOL!!!
BOYSxTWO likes this.

December 16th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Veteran
Breastfeed. I too am still nursing my 15 month old.
December 16th, 2012, 10:11 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Also, at what point can you introduce a bottle of pumped milk without messing everything up? What bottles/pacis are best for bf babies?

December 16th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Mamalamb- I would strongly advise avoiding any bottles at all for the first 2-3 weeks. After that, your supply Is usually well established, baby is often latching and nursing well and most will start accepting the occasional bottle without messing anything up. *if you want feeding help In those first couple weeks It's best to pump at the same time so you dont get overful (which tells your body to stop production) and possible have the other person feed baby with a syringe or tube Instead of a bottle.

As far as pacifier, some babies have no problem, others (especially if you are alreay having latch Issues) will not do well with a pacifier at first. Two reasons: babies suck on a pacifier very differently than the breast and can make it harder for them to learn to latch correctly; secondly, having all of baby's sucking be at the breast in the first 2 weeks will establish your supply to its best as you will be getting maximum stimulation. In addition, It's often easy to give a pacifier when baby is actually needing to nurse and delaying what would normally be stimulating your supply. It's easy to miss hunger cues when they have a paci.
Bookreader likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 16th, 2012, 11:02 AM
KASHWORTH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
BF. still nursing DS too

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
December 16th, 2012, 11:16 AM
round2t's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I really want to breastfeed... well, I want to breastfeed part time and pump and bottle feed the other part. If you can store breastmilk, I'd much rather breastfeed when it's needed, and if I have any "extra supply" when baby is asleep or whenever baby won't eat, then I can store it for later?

I don't know much about this topic at all, so I'm hoping I can attend some classes or something closer to delivery. I just really hope I don't have a hard time.

Is there any harm in breastfeeding AND supplementing with formula? Formula is SO expensive from what I see in stores but what if your milk supply is just not ample enough?

December 16th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
It's crazy how short maternity leave is in our country compared to other countries
Thanks so much for the info! I may have to do half and half then, I'm not sure. I really want the baby to be mostly breastfed, but I'm not sure how to do that with work.

How long is other places? I'm not sure of the normal length of time, but military gives us 1.5 months off after birth.

December 16th, 2012, 11:29 AM
mommy2skyty's Avatar Super Mommy
I think it is awesome that you ladies are still breastfeeding while pregnant!

I would still be nursing too but I weaned my son in September and even though it was a hard decision to make it worked well for both of us

Skyla Helen- Feb 2nd, 2008
Tyler Lyman- Sep 6th, 2009

Quinn Kayden- Aug 17th, 2013

My kids are growing up soo fast!
December 16th, 2012, 11:30 AM
If you supplement with formula, I would NOT do so because of supply issues--that will only hurt your supply. What happens is baby go through growth spurts in "threes", so you have a few days where you feel like your supply isn't enough. You have to nurse through that to send the signal to your body to make more milk for your baby's new, increased appetite during and following the growth spurt.

more on 3's:

Baby hit growth spurts at:
3 weeks
6 weeks
9 weeks
12 weeks (ie, 3 months)
6 months
9 months
12 months
15 months
18 months
21 months
and 24 months

After that, it slows down quite a bit. during those times, though, you generally see increased hunger, less sleeping and night, bursts in cognitive skills (my daughter, for example, around 15 months old starting waking up in the middle of the night and talking to herself for a few hours before going back to sleep.)

So, if you are going to supplement with formula for OTHER reasons, then I say decide how many bottles a day you will use at each age, and make sure you use breastmilk the rest of the time, even if it gets hard for a few days during a growth spurt, because the above will still apply. If every time your baby wants more than you are producing, you give formula, your body won't get the signal to make more milk and you will start to dry up. And it's a lot harder (but not impossible) to bounce back once that starts.

As I said before, if you have low supply and are pumping, be sure to pump an EXTRA 5 minutes after your milk flow ends to signal to your body to make more milk. Sometimes you will get a second "let down" (and will be able to pump a few more ounce)--in that case, you want to keep pumping 5 minutes after THAT. That "dry pumping" is similar to a baby nursing when your milk is all used up, and will send the signal to your body to make more milk.

Hopefully this information helps
December 16th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allie_SMg View Post
Thanks so much for the info! I may have to do half and half then, I'm not sure. I really want the baby to be mostly breastfed, but I'm not sure how to do that with work.

How long is other places? I'm not sure of the normal length of time, but military gives us 1.5 months off after birth.

Well, don't be discouraged yet! Some women are lucky and have this super supply that seems unaffected by lack of feedings. They can pump ton of milk in 5 minutes and be done. It's not the norm (from what I've witnessed) but it happens!

In Canada, it's usually 17 weeks to 52 weeks (depending on the length of employment history and the hours worked.

In the US, The federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) signed a law in 1993 requiring employers to provide up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave for several medical conditions, as well as the birth of a baby (but I think it's more complex than that, because most I hear women only getting 6 weeks)

In the UK, female employees are entitled to 52 weeks of maternity (or adoption) leave, 39 weeks of which is paid, planned to rise to 52 weeks paid, with the first six weeks paid at 90% of full pay and the remainder at a fixed rate (128.73/week as of 2011)

Austria does 16 weeks at 100% salary.

Denmark gives you 52 weeks, 18 to be taken by the mother, 2 by the father, and the rest as you see fit.

France is 16 weeks, but once you hit your third child you get 26 weeks.

Italy is 22 weeks (2 before the birth)

Lithuania: 1 year at 100%salary or 2 years, with 52 weeks at 70% salary and 52 weeks at 40% salary (either mother or father can take it or take the leave in shifts)

Basically, the US is one of the WORST countries for Maternity/Parental Leave.
Allie_SMg likes this.
December 16th, 2012, 11:39 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I supplemented with #3 when I worked, he got formula. My supply never dwindled and I nursed him until he weaned at 14 months. I hate pumping and never had time to pump, so formula was just easier. He was also my NICU baby and got only 1 feeding of formula and breastmilk after that in his feeding tube and then bottle of breastmilk and then to nursing. That was pretty remarkable for a NICU baby.

However, #2 and #4 never had anthing other than breastmilk and never took bottles.

December 16th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KASHWORTH View Post
BF. still nursing DS too
I breastfed my oldest while I was pregnant with my daughter until about 6-7 months. Then I had to take a break until she was born (at 35 weeks) because I absolutely could NOT do it. It was just the worst feeling in the world, to the point of making me feel like a crazy person I even tried a nipple shield, but I couldn't. It apparently happens to a lot of people, as does milk drying up during pregnancy. however, once my daughter was born I made enough milk for both of them and it was fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMum View Post
I supplemented with #3 when I worked, he got formula. My supply never dwindled and I nursed him until he weaned at 14 months. I hate pumping and never had time to pump, so formula was just easier. He was also my NICU baby and got only 1 feeding of formula and breastmilk after that in his feeding tube and then bottle of breastmilk and then to nursing. That was pretty remarkable for a NICU baby.
I think that is awesome. Yeah, supply will meet demand. If your demand is baby nursing when you are home from work, then you will make enough milk to feed baby while home from work. So your supply probably never dwindled for your at home feedings because you always nursed then
December 16th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Norwegian mom's Avatar Veteran
I plan on breastfeed.

In Norway the leave is either 47 weeks with 100 % salary or 57 weeks with 80 % salary. 12 of the weeks belongs to the father.
alittlelost likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search