Twins

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree29Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2012, 06:24 PM
AprylLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Twins run on my mothers side Id love to find out it is twins but doubt it will be.

Visit my blog:http://adventuresofamom.blog.com/
December 27th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabelpolo View Post
I would love twins but I also dont think it's happening for me since they dont run in the family.
Same. Except, I don't usually admit this wish . . .
December 27th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My dad is an identical twin. Not sure if that would up my chances or not...My first appt is on the 9th so I'll find out then but I don't think it is. I have very, very mild symptoms and I always thought symptoms would be more intense with twins? I do have to say, though, before I got pregnant I had a feeling I would be having twins. I'd be happy. Freaked out, but thrilled!

*Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!
December 27th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
I have read that symptoms don't always increase with twins. I would think it does but since I am no expert and have never experienced it I have no knowledge. It will be interesting to see as the pregnancies develop if it is true or not.

On a side note.mini rant. I have a friend who has twins and it drives me bonkers that she ALWAYS says 'The Twins' when referring to her kids. On FB everything she writes has it in there. 'The Twins and I made cookies today' 'The twins names are blank and blank' She never says the girls, or the kids, or my children or anything other than 'The Twins.' It's stupid and petty to care how she announces or refers to her own offspring and I am sorry to be that way. I guess it is one of those things that get under a persons skin for no good reason at all.
alittlelost likes this.

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13
December 27th, 2012, 08:11 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Tinky, I have seen some people who seem to just like to rub it in everyone's faces that they have twins. Like to the point of massive overkill. My aunt, however, has twins and never calls them the twins. She always calls them by their names. I can't imagine it's easy for a twin to have a parent always referring to you as half of the twin set (versus by your name) but who knows. To each their own--but it's definitely possible to have twins or be pregnant with twins without non-stop saying "the twins" even when it's not necessary to do so. So, I can relate to how you feel. I wouldn't say it's for no good reason at all, either
Tinky likes this.
December 27th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You just heped me with the guilt I harbored for cringing when I hear that come out of her mouth! I m glad to know I am not just being a bad person with my grouchy mood as of late.

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
December 27th, 2012, 08:28 PM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I have a friend who has twins and it drives me bonkers that she ALWAYS says 'The Twins' when referring to her kids.
Because I listened to the complaints and negative comments from other women when I was expecting my twins, I refused to call them "twins" for a long time. They were "the babies" and "little boy/little girl", but never "the twins". It finally hit me that it was OK to call them "the twins" because that is what they are. It also hit me that the ones complaining about people using "the twins" are the ones who don't have twins. Kind of like the people who complain about matchy twin names yet don't have twins (I also read/listened to those comments and gave up two adorable, matchy names...stupid me). I even considered not having matching outfits just because of what others (non-twin moms) thought (thankfully, I ignored them on that one and have baskets and baskets of matching outfits that are such fun to use).

When you have twins, it feels like winning the lottery. Seriously, it is awesome. And you get the privilege of using the word "twins" with your babies which is something unique and special. Yes, some people may overuse it just like if someone only referred to their child as "my son/daughter" rather than using an actual name. But for parents of twins, just saying the word "twins" brings a thrill as we are reminded once again of what we have. We don't intend to rub it in anyone's face (at least I don't) but it is fun to say, even long after the birth. A healthy balance is preferable as we also want our children to have their own identity, so inserting actual names or even "my children/babies" is good.

Just wanted to offer another perspective from the twin side of things.

To answer the OP's question: I don't think it is twins even with the rapid rise in hcg levels, mostly because my initial levels were singleton low - half what my twin levels were the 3 twin pregnancies I was tested. I'd love for it to be twins yet will also be relieved to not have the compounded stress and worry a twin pregnancy/delivery/recovery brings.

ETA: It was interesting because in my last DDC my hcg levels were almost identical to another woman's and I was 100% sure she was having twins. She had a girl (girls usually have higher betas than boys initially) and I had twins. Beta levels fascinate me.

It will be fun to bump this thread in about a month and see who is having twinkies (is that an OK term to use? I call my babies that a lot, lol).
angelbabiesmama likes this.

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.

Last edited by ♥womanintheshoe♥; December 27th, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
December 27th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Mummy to great girls
We have twins on BOTH sides of our families so the genes are strong but I had a scan last week to rule out Eptopic and there is only one - but healthy - little bean in there.

December 28th, 2012, 04:11 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
… I think I'm having twins. LOL

December 28th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥womanintheshoe♥ View Post

When you have twins, it feels like winning the lottery. Seriously, it is awesome. And you get the privilege of using the word "twins" with your babies which is something unique and special. Yes, some people may overuse it just like if someone only referred to their child as "my son/daughter" rather than using an actual name. But for parents of twins, just saying the word "twins" brings a thrill as we are reminded once again of what we have. We don't intend to rub it in anyone's face (at least I don't) but it is fun to say, even long after the birth. A healthy balance is preferable as we also want our children to have their own identity, so inserting actual names or even "my children/babies" is good.
The mother of these babies LOVES saying the word twins! She always says "My twin babies.." "My twins" "My little twins" She beams with it. I could never correct her, she just absolutely loves that she has twins on the way after so many years of infertility & struggle. It's better then a lotto win for her! And honestly, if she wanted to brag about it.. I wouldn't blame her.. She's had brothers & sisters growing their family for YEARS while she stood with a brave face & smiled. I love that she's bragging! But thats just *MY* POV on the matter.

December 28th, 2012, 04:59 AM
mom2K&G's Avatar Certified Dog Trainer
I haven't had my first ultrasound yet, but I really don't think im having twins! We don't have twins in our family. So im hoping there is NO twins in this belly!! LOL

December 28th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Quote:
Because I listened to the complaints and negative comments from other women when I was expecting my twins, I refused to call them "twins" for a long time. They were "the babies" and "little boy/little girl", but never "the twins". It finally hit me that it was OK to call them "the twins" because that is what they are. It also hit me that the ones complaining about people using "the twins" are the ones who don't have twins. Kind of like the people who complain about matchy twin names yet don't have twins (I also read/listened to those comments and gave up two adorable, matchy names...stupid me). I even considered not having matching outfits just because of what others (non-twin moms) thought (thankfully, I ignored them on that one and have baskets and baskets of matching outfits that are such fun to use).

Hi! I can't speak for Tinky, but speaking for myself, I have no problem with twin mommies sometimes referring to their twins as twins (in fact, in some cases it makes MORE sense to refer to them that way!) And the way you talk about your twins has NEVER bothered me, not once, so you don't even fall into the realm of what I find irritating (which is still only an opinion anyway). I am more bothered by people who talk about their twins as though they have no other identity, as though they are ONLY half of a twin set. It would be like if I always referred to my autistic son as my autistic son, when he's also my oldest son, when he also has a name, when he's also my son who loves video games, etc. I don't believe there is nothing more to twins than being twins. I think being a twin is PART of who they are, and so it makes sense they would be called twins PART of the time. Some poeple thought just seem to want to be like "DON'T FORGET I'M SPECIAL BECAUSE I HAVE TWINS" which comes across as obnoxious and arrogant, as well as seeming like they see their children as more of a novelty than anything else (and I don't like when anyone does this with their children, whether their children are twins or not).

Also, as someone who has lost a twin, it's hard when CERTAIN PEOPLE seem to be trying to rub it in that they DO have twins and that BOTH their twins made it. At first, I thought it was just me being emotional because I lost my twin, but I noticed basically there was only ONE person making me feel this way--all the other twin mamas I'm happy for! I of course always thinks "Lucky them!" and "Why couldn't both of my twins made it?" but as of right now I only "know" one person with twins (well, pregnant with twins) who is just downright obnoxious and seeming to rub it in. At first I thought maybe they were just being insensitive, but then I realized (after asking a couple other people if I was imagining things!) that this person did indeed come across as though they were trying to rub it in my face that both their twins made it where mine did not. Like they are "actually" having twins (as opposed to only having conceived them). They seem to go out of their way (whenever I'm around) to constantly DRIVE HOME the point that they ARE having twins. Sometimes they say the same thing 3 different ways, just so they can say 3 different ways that they are having twins. This is why I can understand how Tinky feels. When you run into someone who seems to see their twins ONLY as twins (and nothing else) and feels the need to say "my twins" a million times a day, that is annoying.

Okay, IDK if you watch big bang theory, but there is this episode where one of the characters goes to outer space. Well, when he gets back, it's ALL he talks about. He manages to turn EVERYTHING he has to say into being about how he went to outter space. This annoys all of his friends and his fiance, to the point his fiance goes off on him. Now, to him, it's just that he experienced something very exciting that most people don't. It made him feel special. As it should. There was nothing wrong with that, nothing wrong with talking about it when it came up naturally in conversation nor anything wrong with sharing stories every now and then. What was wrong with it was that he was shoving it down everyone's throat. No matter how special something is, you don't need to shove it down everyone's throat--it's bound to annoy at least some people. And like I said, I've not see you do this a single time. You seem totally normal and balanced about it--excited about having twins, feeling special (as you should!) but without being obnoxious or inconsiderate.

Also, I'm sure you don't need to say "twins" to be reminded of what you have! you see it every day! Saying twins is really just to remind other people of what you have, which is totally fine! you have something amazing and want to share that with the world. I did, too! And you can bet if both my twins had made it I would sometimes be referring to them as the twins! In fact, I don't know how my aunt does it--she almost never refers to them as the twins (and they don'y have matching names, but they have names that start with the same letter--which some families do even when it's not twins--and I think it's adorable!) Since they were born, she's always been so focused on how different and unique they are, and I have to say I really admire that. I don't even think she does it on purpose. she just is so in awe of who each baby is as a person, how each of her children are. One twin looks like her, one looks like the dad. They each have different personalities. And yeah, they were born on the same day, and they are SO special and such cute TWINS and they'll be called twins sometimes because that's what they are. But they are also more than that. And anyone who feels the need to call their children "the twins" EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. they refer to them really is going to come across as trying to rub it in, which is innocently annoying at best, but hurtful at worst (such as people who are trying to rub it in to someone who lost a twin).

Twins are unique and all babies are special. Twin moms should enjoy the uniqueness of getting to have twins and should feel they should share about it. But hey, every time I speak, do I mention that I'm a bestselling author? No. Because, ****, wouldn't that be helluva annoying? I hope this better helps you understand where I stand on this. Maybe you understood from the beginning and just don't see it this way, but based on your response, I felt like maybe you thought I meant something a little more black-and-white than what I intended. You are one of my favorite mamas on this board so I'd hate for you to think I think you talking about your twins is annoying. You've NEVER been obnoxious or insensitive about it, and that's the only time *I* personally don't like it (just my opinion/feelings--no one has to agree with them). And I don't like when people are obnoxious or insensitive about anything, so it's not just about twins.
December 28th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est_la_vie View Post
… I think I'm having twins. LOL
No way?! Really?! I had no idea!!!

J/K! If I remember correctly, you are due in JULY with twins, a gestational carrier. Being a gestational carrier is very cool, too. I know you post here a lot, in AUGUST--do you think your twins you are carrying will be late? I wonder how often that happens!
December 28th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Having twins for us would be wonderful and terrifying all at once. I'd be extremely happy but also live not knowing what to expect. It would have the potential to put strain on things like finances and my sanity lol but I would embrace it as a miracle. I would give my all, 100%, to make it work. And I would be happy. and I'd call them twins probably half the time because well....that's what they would be. I wouldn't define them as only twins though. They would be 2 beautiful souls who made the same journey.
alittlelost and mom2K&G like this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
December 28th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
No way?! Really?! I had no idea!!!

J/K! If I remember correctly, you are due in JULY with twins, a gestational carrier. Being a gestational carrier is very cool, too. I know you post here a lot, in AUGUST--do you think your twins you are carrying will be late? I wonder how often that happens!
Yes I'm due July 27th, I started posting here before I knew I was carrying twins. I wouldn't mind them coming late,. It's happened before. Not often, but it's possible.

December 28th, 2012, 06:16 AM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
Quote:
It will be fun to bump this thread in about a month and see who is having twinkies (is that an OK term to use? I call my babies that a lot, lol).
No. I think that term has been DISCONTINUED lol ... I crack myself up. But really, that's why I make the thread because I love seeing who ended up with twins and swore there was no way they'd have twins! lol

December 28th, 2012, 06:55 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If we were blessed with twins, we'd probably call them the twins for awhile (not for attention) but just is what it is. We call my 3 year old and his cousin, the cousin twins because they were born the same day, 12 hours apart

December 28th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am a twinless twin (like Elvis) My twin died in eutero, and I often wonder what life would have been like as a twin. Twins are fascinating!
If I had twins, I'd feel like I won the lottery on christmas day! I am sure I'd refer to them as The twins or my twins, because that is a part of who they would be and an apt description at times. I also agree with Alittlelost, because it does feel sometimes that the person I was venting about seems to focus more on the fact that the kids are twins and nothing else. I didn't mean to take away from anyones joy in the double miracle of multiples, not by any means was that my intention. Now I feel bad for even opening my mouth.

I have kids close in age and I dress them the same at times because it is cute. They are boys and I do refer to them as The Boys from time to time. Just not every single time. maybe If i had explained things better
BeachMum and alittlelost like this.

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
December 28th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Tinky, I think you and I are on the same page. And I don't think ANYONE should feel bad for having an opinion or expressing how they feel--I didn't see anyone here being mean or nasty at any point, so it's all good. I *think* that maybe you and I (who totally got what the other way talking about) didn't come across as clear as we thought we did to womaninashoe. I'm sure after she reads more into our posts she will understand a bit more where we are coming from. And like I said, it's not just about twins--anytime someone talks non-stop about something and how special and lucky they are to have that something, it gets annoying. You can be happy for them if only it wasn't the ONLY thing they talked about. But I also think people who do that DON'T feel as special and lucky as they should, even if they are acting that way. I think they keep talking about it because they want to feel special and lucky and that feelings hasn't been satisfied enough for them without outsiders thinking it, too. I see it kind of like people who won't stop harassing you until you convert to their religion. If they REALLY believed without doubt, they wouldn't need to convince other people in order to feel at peace. Of course, at the end of the day it's all just opinions and perception, and I realize that my studies in psychology do affect my perceptions of why people do the things they do. Reality is, it's never so cut and dried. Everyone is unique and has different reasons for what they do and how they feel. Twin moms should feel proud and special. They should feel that way even if they never called their twins "the twins". But it only makes sense they would sometimes call them twins! (It would be weird if they avoided doing that, in fact!). But when someone goes overkill with it (or anything else) it's, well, overkill All things are best in moderation. JMO
Tinky likes this.
December 28th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm gonna put my 2 cents in about the woman you told the story about. The one who refers to her kids as "The Twins". I don't think your unjust in thinking she's annoying. I think it's annoying and I haven't even encountered her. Why? Because I know someone like this. They act like their children are celebrities and post updates about them as if everyone is absolutely hanging on the edge of their seat waiting for more info from the twins.
My acquaintance has twins. She often updates saying, "Oh I know I'm behind on this update, I meant to get it out sooner, the twins are now 9 pounds." I'm happy to hear about your kids but how about you stop acting like your update is written by a world famous celebrity. I just kinda think they should save their self-important ways for their blog or something.
Just referring to your children as the twins is normal. Making them out to be this big branded thing is not IMO.
alittlelost likes this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!

Last edited by Dandelion; December 28th, 2012 at 07:55 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search