Twins

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree29Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2012, 07:48 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a friend that has 6 kids. One set of twins. She refers to them as the twins. I see it no different than s
If you have boys and girls and saying the boys or the girls. Or if you have a set of older kids and a set of younger kids and calling them the big kids and the little kids. If I'm talking about two out of three. Of my kids and its the two boys ill say the boys. Or if its my oldest son and my daughter, I'll say the big kids, even though they are only 1.5 and 2.5 yrs older than the youngest. But I do also refer to them by their names. If I had twins I'd refer to them as the twins or the babies, but not all the time.

December 28th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Super Mommy
Lurking from March DDC

I must admit im one of those mom's that refer to my twin boys as "the twins", its just easier then yelling Xavier and baby Chance all the time lol. Boys and kids gets used a lot as well lol.

I know how it is to be on the other side of the coin as well. Im not Kelly anymore, Im the girl who had twins. Annoying but thats just the way it is.
December 28th, 2012, 08:33 AM
♥womanintheshoe♥'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For the ladies who find themselves irritated by moms who refer to their children as "the twins" all the time...I get that. Really, I do. Anything that is overkill is annoying and I realize the woman referred to uses those words all.the.time. I only posted what I did to offer a perspective on why twin mamas use the phrase perhaps more than others would like us to. I, unfortunately, tend to take to heart what other people think way more than I should, even to the point I avoided the word "twins" so as not to upset/irritate people.

I do hope I never annoy anyone here with any twin talk as I strive for moderation and balance. You ladies are all so sweet and I love that we can share opinions and ideas like we have. ♥
Tinky and alittlelost like this.

Also missing 11 precious little ones here with us but for a moment.

VERY cautiously expecting after two losses early 2013. Hoping and praying my Valentine's Day due date baby sticks this time.
December 28th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I honestly never get annoyed by what people call their children. I think its just the one person I know in real life that annoys me with it and honestly it's not just that with her, it's everything she does. LOL she just acts like her life is so much better and special than everyone else
mamalamb, BeachMum and alittlelost like this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
December 28th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Blessed with twins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honestlymonique View Post
I don't think It is twins but when I first found out, for a week I kept thinking what if its twins. I never wondered that with the others. Twins don't run on either side so I think I'm safe lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabelpolo View Post
I would love twins but I also dont think it's happening for me since they dont run in the family.

I have fraternal twins and they do not run on either side of our families.. they are a miracle, a blessing.. so you mommys can be surprised anytime. Only God knows.

Thank you so much Kiliki for my lovely siggy!

December 28th, 2012, 10:43 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥womanintheshoe♥ View Post
For the ladies who find themselves irritated by moms who refer to their children as "the twins" all the time...I get that. Really, I do. Anything that is overkill is annoying and I realize the woman referred to uses those words all.the.time. I only posted what I did to offer a perspective on why twin mamas use the phrase perhaps more than others would like us to. I, unfortunately, tend to take to heart what other people think way more than I should, even to the point I avoided the word "twins" so as not to upset/irritate people.

I do hope I never annoy anyone here with any twin talk as I strive for moderation and balance. You ladies are all so sweet and I love that we can share opinions and ideas like we have. ♥
you've never been overkill. you are like most twin mamas I know, and I like most twin mamas. I think it's cool they have twins and they are totally NORMAL about having them. They know twins are special, they call their kids "the twins" sometimes, but they don't treat their kids like they are some kind of marketing ploy or accessory or something. It ONLY bothers me in excess--which I RARELY experience. And, like I said, anything done in excess is annoying to me! Where twins are concerned, I also get upset when I DO see it being used in excess because I don't think a child should be made to feel the ONLY special thing about them is that they are half of a twin set, ya know? But that's the same reason why I said losing a baby to me wasn't like loosing half of a twin set, it was like loosing a whole baby. The kind of woman who do this stuff in excess also NEVER say anything about one twin without the other. Let's say there is little Tommy and Bobby, boy twins. Well, unless Tommy and Bobby do something cute, the Mom WON'T mention it. They won't say "Bobby just sang his ABC's for the first time!" but if they both sing them, then you will hear "The twins can both sing their ABCs now!" This is so so so different from someone calling their kids twins sometimes, or even half the time, or whatever. I don't think you should avoid calling your twins twins. In fact, I love hearing about your experience with your twins and about your twins. but one of the reasons I love it is because you also talk about your other kids and you don't seem to be *going out of your way* to say "the twins". When you say it, it seems natural, not forced, like that is just the sensible way to refer to them at that time. Trust me, you are so far off from the kind of woman who is annoying about it, and the kind of woman who is annoying about it is SO rare. Honestly, in all my life, I've only met ONE person who was annoying about their twins., and it's because they treat them like "trophy" instead of like children.

I think it's normal to say "my kids" or "my boys" or "my girls" or "my twins". It's only annoying, to me, when a parent NEVER EVER EVER is able to have a conversation without referring to their kids that way--almost to the point you could forget what their kids names are because they never talk about the kids as individuals. Online can also be a bit different, too, because some people don't use their kids' names on the internet. I just don't like people treating kids like they are novelties instead of people. And it only ever LOOKS that way if you ALWAYS ONLY refer to them based on one aspect of who they are: ie: my autistic kid, my twins, my international spelling bee winner, etc. Sometimes it's relevant or natural to refer to them that way; I don't think anyone needs to worry about annoying anyone unless they are GOING OUT OF THEIR WAY to ONLY refer to them with those titles. And even then, sounds like some people don't get annoyed by things like that (though from what I've seen here, not many people have experienced what Tinky and I have--but as I said, it's not all that common!)
Tinky likes this.

Last edited by alittlelost; December 28th, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
December 28th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Super Mommy
I don't think it could be but it would be an awesome blessing. I am really up in the air if this should be our last one and if it were twins I think that would be a sign from God saying we were meant to have 3 or more

December 28th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Veteran
mom2K&G likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker

Last edited by angelbabiesmama; January 24th, 2013 at 08:00 AM.
December 28th, 2012, 03:19 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't know pregnancy hormone had a smell! LOL but that's a pretty pregnancy-hormoney thing to say I guess we're all affected by this point hehehe

"I have to admit I would probably call them "the twins" at times and I would also call them by name at times. It's just whatever I feel like saying at the moment. I will be the first to admit that I do get sad when people close to me have twins and I am not ashamed to even admit that YES I just might be envious and a little jealous, but that doesn't mean I will pinch or jack their happiness away just because they were able to have twins and I wasn't."

+1000 I agree with this completely. This is exactly how I feel. So far, I've only met one person having twins who it is hard to be happy for and that's ONLY because they've been going out of their way to rub it in my face that they ARE having twins and I am NOT (and the reason I am not is because I lost one, which makes this person's way toward me even more obnoxious). Other than that, I love reading about twin pregnancies and twin moms. And none of them use "the twins" to the point of making ME twitch LOL (probably because they aren't TRYING to hurt me like this one other person clearly is).

I guess we all twitch over something though! For me, I twitch anytime I see someone being intentionally hurtful, judgmental, or acting like they are better than other people. But other than that, it's all gravy

Last edited by alittlelost; December 28th, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
December 29th, 2012, 07:40 PM
mommymichael's Avatar I am strong.
I'd love Twins!! I'm pretty sure there's only 1 in there. This is most likely our last baby so twins would be so so so awesome.
angelbabiesmama likes this.
Wife, Mommy to Roan, Willem, Trillian & Baby #4 Due Aug 2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search