Question about Progesterone

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By c'est_la_vie
  • 1 Post By Momma2Chase

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So last night I had a small amount of spotting. It was very light brownish-pinkish. It only happened one time when I wiped after using the bathroom and hasn't happened since. This morning I called the dr and let them know cause honestly, I'm hoping they'll get me in for a quick ultrasound to check on the babe! lol The nurse tells me that I need to come in today for hcg and progesterone check and then again on Monday. They'll want to start me on progesterone today and I'll need to be on bed rest for 48 hours after spotting stops (which I think it has).

Anyway, this sounds excessive to me. What if my progesterone levels are fine? Will it hurt to take it anyway? I'm not a fan of meds and usually stay away from them unless absolutely necessary.

*Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!
December 28th, 2012, 07:17 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
Extra progesterone will NOT hurt you.. I think a lot of Doctors use it as a precaution incase your levels are low, as low progesterone is a big factor for many miscarriages. I am on PIO injections & Crinone which to me.. seems like they're over doing it, but I don't suffer any ill side effects other then the Crinone has a gross discharge & PIO injections make your backside sore after time.

December 28th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
If they check your levels today, pre-progesterone supplements, and get the results back they will see if they are truly low or not. If they're not low, I can't imagine them keeping you on the supplements anyway.

Bleeding in pregnancy is often the result of low progesterone though. I don't see any harm in the level being normal and then having the progesterone supplements. I've read about women with levels >100 having a good pregnancy and I've also read about women with a level of 17 having a perfect pregnancy.

Also, they probably will not put you on a really high dose if they don't know your level yet. Mine was only 6.4 the first week of December and I was put on 600mg a day... the Ob isn't even checking my Progesterone levels anymore now because they're positive the dose will do it's job.
angelbabiesmama likes this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

December 28th, 2012, 07:57 AM
I had 3 miscarriages in a row. Last pregnancy I started a progesterone topical cream the second I found out I was pregnant and used it 2x a day until the 2nd trimester. I carried the baby to term and she's 2 now. So now I use progesterone every pregnancy during the 1st trimester as a precaution. I agree the pills are terrible, but the ointment is supposed to be all natural. I highly recommend it if there's any risk at all to the baby.
December 28th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I took the progesterone til 12 weeks. I was very nervous about it as well and even got a second opinion. From all the information that I gathered it can only help. Good luck!
December 28th, 2012, 08:07 PM
miniRazz's Avatar <3 my rainbow baby
No it won't hurt you, Dr's in the States tend to push progesterone more than they do here in Canada however if there are repeat MCs (like me) they put you on it as soon as you get pregnant to build up the wall better for the first trimester.
I am only on 200mg (2 pills at bed time) and apparently using the pills vaginally works better than orally.

Good luck

December 29th, 2012, 07:28 PM
mommymichael's Avatar I am strong.
I'm using progesterone cream. I started it on my own in order to conceive since I ovulated so late in my cycle. Had I not started it, we wouldn't be preggo this cycle! Still using the cream so there isn't a crazy dip in progesterone that may trigger a miscarriage. Will wean off perhaps after the first trimester. Right now I'm only 6.5 weeks.
Wife, Mommy to Roan, Willem, Trillian & Baby #4 Due Aug 2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search