Those who have used dopplers early

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2013, 05:09 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Those of you who have used dopplers (this pregnancy and previous ones) in early pregnancy and have heard the heartbeat early (<10 weeks), just wondering: Are you very thin?

I want to buy one but I'm not a tiny girl... my Ob's office said at my appointment last week that they'll start using the doppler at my next visit (I will be 11w6d) and they should be able to hear the heartbeat then... but that some women who are VERY thin can hear it prior to 10 weeks sometimes.

DH and I were looking at some dopplers but I don't know if I should bother until after 10 weeks if my belly chub is going to get in the way

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

January 7th, 2013, 05:28 AM
mariri's Avatar Veteran
my gynea used a doppler on my visit and i was 9w2d, dont think there was and exception to your body build
January 7th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Veteran
I went in for my 1st appointment at 7w1d last week and got to hear the heartbeat. I was shocked we heard it so early. And I am NOT a skinny girl (220 lbs and 5'8")
January 7th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Super Mommy
Im not skinny and I heard my baby's heartbeat at home 9w. So I don't see why you would have to wait to later.

January 7th, 2013, 06:28 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got mine around 10 weeks and I'm 5'4 and 130 lbs. For me, this is chunky--I have a small frame and 80% of my "extra weight" is in my stomach (it's where I gain weight)
January 7th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awesome, thanks ladies!! My Ob made quite a big deal about my weight last appt (I'm def overweight but I just lost 25 lbs too, and got NO credit for the fact that I WAS losing weight until I got pregnant!)

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

January 7th, 2013, 11:35 AM
mommymichael's Avatar I am strong.
I'm 8 weeks and heard it today with my sonoline B. Trying to get it on video, didn't have my phone on me of course. Definitely trying again later.
Wife, Mommy to Roan, Willem, Trillian & Baby #4 Due Aug 2013
January 7th, 2013, 02:14 PM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
I am, yes. My friend who is heavier just went to the doc at 13 weeks and I am very confident that her pregnancy is fine (still really bad MS, I think she may even have twins) but they couldn't find the heartbeat with their Doppler. I do think size can matter for this, depending on the person.

I would still buy it but I would keep that in mind so you don't panic in case you can't.

Last edited by MyFantasticFour; January 7th, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
January 7th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Wildflower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Size can hold a meaning *if* their doppler is not super great quality. Unfortunatly not all Doctors have top of the line dopplers, I couldnt hear DS's heartbeat until past 12 weeks ( tried the 3 weeks before too!), and I was thin then!

January 7th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Super Mommy
I have a cheapie Fetal Doppler and tried it last night with no luck. But I think its too early too. Mine was only $20 on Amazon. It worked great with DD but I can't remember how far I was when I bought it. I know for sure I was further than I am now bc I was 9 weeks when I found out with her.

January 7th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
The doppler I have, was able to pick up at 10 weeks last time. I was heavier then. By a good 40 pounds. I havent been able to hear anything yet. I think alot of thimgs play a part, the doppler, your body, babys position, where the placenta is etc. i say go for it! Even if you cant hear it right off, it will be eciting to find, sota like the long lost love hate relationship many of us had with peesticks

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search