Very Unsure about my OB...What to Do?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By alittlelost
  • 1 Post By Anchored
  • 3 Post By akwags
  • 2 Post By mamalamb

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Veteran
So I've been seeing my OB GYN (single person practice) for over 5 years for routine Paps. While I don't have much issue with his personality, I've NEVER waited less than 30 minutes for a routine Pap appointment and he is always very quick with me. While not ideal, I dealt with it because I only saw him once a year.

Now that I'm pregnant, I went in for my 1st prenatal appointment last week at 7w1d. I waited a full hour past my appointment time to get into the room. My OB was fairly quick with me and didn't really spend a lot of time addressing my questions. I'm the one who had to bring up expected weight gain/foods to avoid/etc. I never found out what would be monitored during pregnancy and what (if any) genetic tests I'd receive. I also learned that the ultrasound I took that day would be the only ultrasound given, unless I ask for one to determine gender at 20 weeks.

So I'm pretty unhappy with my OB at this point. I want to switch, but after reading reviews and asking opinions on other OB's in the area, I'm not convinced that any other practice is much better. Reviews vary wildly, and I'm loathe to leave a place that knows me to go somewhere that could end up being worse. Should I just suck it up and stick with this OB, hoping that I get an appointment one day where he's not so rushed and can answer my questions? Or should I go through the hassle of changing doctors and take a chance that I may dislike a new doctor even more?

If I wait too long to make up my mind, is it much harder to switch OB's once you get midway through your pregnancy?
January 7th, 2013, 06:57 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would switch. It is insane to me they don't do the 20 weeks u/s. I understand some people opt out of them, but for those who DO get them they 20 weeks u/s is THE most important one to get. You could also look for midwives in your area. You might have better luck there.
January 7th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Lost

Keep looking around for someone in your area
KeLLiC09 likes this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

January 7th, 2013, 07:01 AM
I didn't get my midwife until 32 weeks with my last pregnancy. With my first pregnancy, I changed doctors around 24 weeks to the midwife I used for him and my 2nd pregnancy. You have time
January 7th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Regular
I agree, switch providers. One of the most important decisions you will make this pregnancy, is finding a care provider that is on the same page as you. I say this because with my son, I chose to stick with an OB, when I really should have switched to a midwife. My gut told me that she wasn't a right fit, but I didn't want to "hassle" with switching providers. I firmly believe, that I ended up with an unwanted c-section because I didn't find a care provider that was supportive of the type of birth I desired, and chose to stick with a provider that just saw me as another number. If you're already seeing red flags, I think it's time to switch. Good luck!
January 7th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Veteran
agreed on switching, you should be able to interview these doctors to before you make the switch. im in the same position as you im not sure if i want to stay with the OB i picked. i drive 45 minutes to get to her and i chose her because that is the only area that does vbac's. every time i ask her about vbacs she just barely skims over it and then said she only has a fifty percent success rate so im thinking i want to find someone who seems more confident in doing vbac's.
January 7th, 2013, 08:35 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would switch! That is a red flag to me and weird that the 20 weeks scan is by request only. That scan is not just for finding out the sex it is to check all major systems pn the baby so in case there are issues they can be monitored and dealt with. I'd start asking around about different practices
Tinky and alittlelost like this.

January 7th, 2013, 08:40 AM
KnitterLaurel's Avatar Super Mommy
If you have any questions or doubts about your care it is best to switch. Also it is never too late to do so. My younger sister switched her midwife over halfway through her pregnancy after she found out information she wasn't happy about.

January 7th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalamb View Post
I would switch! That is a red flag to me and weird that the 20 weeks scan is by request only. That scan is not just for finding out the sex it is to check all major systems pn the baby so in case there are issues they can be monitored and dealt with. I'd start asking around about different practices
This! 20 week ultrasound gets a lot of buzz because of gender determination but that's just a small part of it!

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
January 7th, 2013, 09:18 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Agreed, SWITCH. I had a bad gut feeling about my OB with #3 and I should have switched because he handled my pregnancy so poorly and I was so high risk, I couldn't switch. Switch now. You can interview OBs if it makes you more comfortable too.

January 7th, 2013, 04:44 PM
also, even if other places seem like the reviews are just as bad, that doesn't mean YOU won't like one more than the other.
January 7th, 2013, 05:47 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im switching for the 20 week scan, too.. but Ive never had to wait THAT long.. you should get someone new.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
January 7th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
I agree, switch!

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13