o/t Opinions

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Ok, so this morning I woke up to see my FB blowing up about a huge story from my home town. Apparently, a mom just got arrested for embezzling over $24,000 of PTO money from one of the elementary schools. She was spending the money on groceries, clothing, and trips for her family. She was the treasurer of this PTO branch. She was actively involved with the little league teams, a parent helper in the schools as well as a Substitute Teacher.

So, here is my question. If something like this happened in your community or your child's school, how would you feel? What do you think should happen to someone like this? I'm pretty sure at this point, a lot of her friendships will be ruined, but what about her kids? Is it fair that they will most likely get penalized in a situation like this?
January 8th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Something like this did happen in my area a few years back- the woman was the president AND the treasurer. She took about $2000 and was convicted and was up for sentencing back in 2010- not sure what happened to her after the fact.

A few months later, ANOTHER PTA president did the same but took more. I found the news article online about her:

Quote:
A former PTA president received a 15-year suspended sentence Wednesday for stealing money from the Lynnhaven Elementary School PTA, according to the commonwealth 's attorney's office.

As part of her sentence, Amanda Byrd, 39, has to pay about $6,300 in restitution, have no involvement in school parent-teacher groups, and be on supervised probation for one year.

Byrd also has to be on good behavior for 10 years.

She was convicted of four counts of forgery, seven counts of obtaining money by false pretense from the PTA, and four counts of uttering a forged check.

I think this woman will definitely be convicted and sentenced and for taking SO MUCH money I'm not sure the judge will give her a suspended sentence like this woman got

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

January 8th, 2013, 09:19 AM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Something similar happened years and year ago in my hometown, the women who did it worked for my mom at NASA, and was embezzeling ALOT of money out of the town sports that her sons were in. I cannot even remember the total amount at the moment. I know she was a struggling single mom with 3 teen/preteen boys. She was a good person that did a bad thing in desperate times. I know she ended up going to jail. I am not sure what happened with her children or if she has since been released (I was younger when this happened, maybe 12) but if I recall, there was actually a fair amount of support for her (as a person, not her actions).

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search