So over today (rant)

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 10th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad your hunny could get the day off.

As for the "get it off" slang, we say it here in Ohio too. I find its just easier to say without even thinking about it because it's less words than saying, we were able to get the requested day off of work. Instead, just say "yes, he got it off." In response to a question, "Is dh able to go to your appointment Friday?"

Is it necessarily proper grammar? I'm sure it's not lol but usually "Slang" isn't proper to begin with. Now for myself personally, I tend to speak a lot differently than I would if I was typing out something important. If I'm just on here or Facebook I am more lazy. I figure y'all can read what I'm putting down. Word? Ya dig?
Beachbabies likes this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
January 10th, 2013, 10:37 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
Glad your hunny could get the day off.

As for the "get it off" slang, we say it here in Ohio too. I find its just easier to say without even thinking about it because it's less words than saying, we were able to get the requested day off of work. Instead, just say "yes, he got it off." In response to a question, "Is dh able to go to your appointment Friday?"

Is it necessarily proper grammar? I'm sure it's not lol but usually "Slang" isn't proper to begin with. Now for myself personally, I tend to speak a lot differently than I would if I was typing out something important. If I'm just on here or Facebook I am more lazy. I figure y'all can read what I'm putting down. Word? Ya dig?
grammar wise, "it" in that scenario would refer to getting the appointment off, which isn't what he's doing--he's getting the DAY off of work to go to the appointment. I don't think anyone needs to say "we were able to get the requested day off of work" but it's really no more trouble to say "he got the day off" or "he got the day off work". When I hear "got it off?" I think, "got what off?" but I think I'm older than most people here this time, so like I said, if you're talking to other people from your generation, it's probably not confusing at all. When you talk to people from generation, we might think you're talking about your husband being able to ejaculate In context, I ultimately figured out what she meant, but it's still incorrect grammar, simply because the rule is a pronoun agrees back to the closest agreeing noun. So, if someone said, "did you husband get the day off work" and you say, "yeah, he got it off" THEN it would be correct grammar because "it" would refer back to "the day". But in that scenario, you'd just say yes/yeah anyway, and wouldn't need to add "he got it off". And that concludes obnoxious pretentious grammar lessons for today. And most of the time, yes, even when you guys say things that are grammatically incorrect, I can follow this. This time it took me a minute to figure out what she meant, though, and there are times that I *cannot* follow what some people here are trying to say. And so, I don't respond to their posts, though I feel bad about that sometimes, especially when they seem distressed.
Dandelion likes this.
January 10th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
grammar wise, "it" in that scenario would refer to getting the appointment off, which isn't what he's doing--he's getting the DAY off of work to go to the appointment. I don't think anyone needs to say "we were able to get the requested day off of work" but it's really no more trouble to say "he got the day off" or "he got the day off work". When I hear "got it off?" I think, "got what off?" but I think I'm older than most people here this time, so like I said, if you're talking to other people from your generation, it's probably not confusing at all. When you talk to people from generation, we might think you're talking about your husband being able to ejaculate In context, I ultimately figured out what she meant, but it's still incorrect grammar, simply because the rule is a pronoun agrees back to the closest agreeing noun. So, if someone said, "did you husband get the day off work" and you say, "yeah, he got it off" THEN it would be correct grammar because "it" would refer back to "the day". But in that scenario, you'd just say yes/yeah anyway, and wouldn't need to add "he got it off". And that concludes obnoxious pretentious grammar lessons for today. And most of the time, yes, even when you guys say things that are grammatically incorrect, I can follow this. This time it took me a minute to figure out what she meant, though, and there are times that I *cannot* follow what some people here are trying to say. And so, I don't respond to their posts, though I feel bad about that sometimes, especially when they seem distressed.
I know what you mean. lol
And hey your not THAT much older are you? I'm 25, birthday in June.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
January 10th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I'm 27, but it could be that most people I have been surrounded with in my life have always been even older than that. (until I was 9, my best friend was my grandfather LOL I spent MANY hours with him DAILY) All I know is no one I knew before today says it that way, and that it's improper grammar in most cases to do so I even know people with DEPLORABLE grammar (though I think it's intentional, to be cool) who don't say it that way. It's been a fascinating discussion, though, and I've been talking about it with friends and family who are all like "Huh? Really? No way." I don't think they even believe me that so many of you say it that way!
Dandelion likes this.

Last edited by alittlelost; January 10th, 2013 at 03:08 PM.
January 10th, 2013, 03:18 PM
I swear I'm not crazy. I'm asking people on twitter how they say it now just to be sure LOL

Here are the responses so far:

1) I normally say "I got the day off from work", or "I have the day off."
2) I say "I have the day off,"
3) [I got it off] is open to entendre
4) I think it's I have/had it off. (same as your guys)
5) I have the day off?
6) "I had off today." (in between--I would understand this better than, "I got off today." haha)
7) "I've got the day off" is quite British...
8) I've heard it referring to days in the future when somethings planned but not about the current day and having it off from work. (I don't even understand this response...)
9) "I got that day off"
10) " is it a Britishisms? We say it a lot" (so one person said the british say "the day" and somoene else said the british are the ones guilty of overusing "it" haha)
11) I'd say either: "I got the day off from work." or "I have the day off." Maybe even: "I have off from work." Definitely not "I got it off." Total innuendo.
12) Never heard "got it off" unless it was meant crudely.

So, pretty split, actually But I'm still in the camp that thinks people are referring to ejaculation when they say get it off Maybe I just have a dirty mind
Dandelion likes this.
January 10th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Get yer mind outta tha guttta!! hahaha said in Barbara Evans Accent. (From Teen Mom 2 lol)
alittlelost likes this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search