Homeschooling

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 9th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
(Sorry I realize part of that was really confusing. My husband's ex-wife had custody from Oct 09-June 2010, my husband came home June 2010 and then he had custody from July 2010 to the present. So he came back into the picture right before Aaron was to start kindergarten. He was very much involved before and during, but he was temporarily stationed in another state from Oct-June)

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

January 9th, 2013, 05:57 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Chase View Post
Thanks! That was actually really helpful!
And a huge UGH to "No child left behind," my sister is always talking about it and how awful it is for a good majority of the children it's effecting.
Our sons sound pretty similar, actually. Aaron started kindergarten as the youngest child (he was born 8/19 so he started 2 weeks after turning 5) in the class, and he went in with a huge disadvantage in the first place: My husband's exwife had custody of their kids for the year prior to Aaron going to kindergarten. She was SUPPOSED to enroll the kid in pre-k, but never did. Not only that, but she didn't bother to even teach him herself. He started kindergarten no knowing the ABCs, numbers, some colors, or even how to spell his name. My husband was a single dad and was a little "lost" and didn't realize he could have opted to keep Aaron out of Kindergarten the first year and put him in a pre-k program instead. So he put him in and all of the kids were lightyears ahead of him- even the kindergarten teacher said so. And the kicker: not once did she slow down to make sure he was grasping it. She said she had to go the pace of the majority in the class. I spent that entire year driving myself crazy because I couldn't do anything about it and it was so stressful. Homework was an awful ordeal each night... I would literally have to sit with him for hours because he just did not get the concept. He couldn't understand "beside" or "underneath," and math was just completely out the window. He would come home with graded paperwork and EVERYTHING was always marked wrong! And of course, that meant I needed to harass the teacher yet again. Yes, everything he did was wrong but he was still passing the class based on [insert something here].
*sigh* So we ended kindergarten year no better than we started it, except he could "KIND OF" read. My husband and I specifically met with the principal and requested to keep him back in kindergarten the following year. We spoke at length with Aaron about this decision and he was excited about it because his neighborhood friends hadn't started yet and he'd be in class with them. The principal told us "NO!" She said he had already been passed and therefore there was nothing we could do about it! We were livid!
So 1st grade basically goes the same way... and at the end of it, i didn't ask for him to be left in 1st grade but I did quiz the teacher a million times on whether or not he SHOULD be advanced. Her answer each time? "He's a very sweet boy and he's SO helpful to his classmates." I agree, he IS sweet and helpful but does that mean academically he should be moved to the next grade?
So after 2nd grade I tried to move him and his sister to a new school and we were denied. So I tried another school: denied.

Sorry, got long again. This is such a HUGE issue in our life. I think I am going to talk to my husband about it again when he comes home!
My goodness, I could just HUG you because a lot of what you are going through on the school end is so similar to what I've been through. Look, if you decide to try homeschooling (maybe over the summer, so you can see how it goes) I will gladly be at your beck and call to help you get started. You might be surprised how much easier your son learns at home. I know it might not seem that way now (from when you try to work on homework with him) but it can be that way. When we started HSing my son, we kepy him back in 1st grade. PS would have put him in 2nd grade, even though he still couldn't read! AT ALL! Now he is reading chapter books. The NCLB thing really screws too many kids.
January 9th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
I have been thinking deeply about homeschooling for some time. I just don't know thatIi could do it.
Somthing I really do not understand is the difference between medical necessity and educational. I knowIi am going to explain this all wrong like I always do (hence my worry about adequately teaching my kiddos) My son is also Autistic. He has an IEP in place and is in the exceptional Childrens Program through Headstart, in a public primary school. Now, when he was tested through headstart he was not found in need of speech, OT, or PT. So I figured all was well. WRONG!! A few months later we went to the doc for his yearly exam and she immediately set him up for evauluation. He is severely universally delayed. He attends speech 2x a week with a vocab of less than 400 words at 5 years old, OT weekly and PT weekly. He wears DAFOs (hard plastic braces on his feet and lower legs) etc etc. I just don't understand how these things do not affect him in an educational setting? maybe one of you can eplin it in mama terms and not school?
Sweetie, it IS affecting him in school. I guarantee it. And the schools will say it's not, just like they did with my son, even when it IS. Which makes it even HARDER to get him help. And even if you fight them and make them make the right changes to IEP or classroom, they will still view him completely the wrong way and thus fail to teach him. If you aren't sure if you can do it, try it over the summer and see if you make any progress. Allow yourself to go as slow as he needs to learn. "completely" 1st grade in 1 year is nice and all, but only if you LEARN it all. If you learn NOTHING, well, you'd be better off taking 2 years to finish 1st grade. Once that foundation is built, he may catch up. We're already seeing this with my son. Same thing I said to Momma2Chase applies to you. IF you want to try it, I'll help you every step of the way. Now, the great thing about homeschooling is we can get him tested for the services he needs PRIVATELY and do it all through insurance. If your insurance is no good, you might even be able to get the school to provide the services, but that might require some fighting for them to honor doctor's reviews instead of their own. But I'm sure it's possible. But then, you might be able to get speech EVERY DAY if needed. His curriculum will be build based on HIS needs and where HE is at and where he needs to be. And where he needs to be isn't where every other kid his age is. Where he needs to be is one step ahead of where he is now. And then another step. And then another step. Just like that. So maybe that means for a year he does half as much reading and math as other kids his age and has speech and OT and PT every day. Maybe it means he doesn't start Science or Social Studies until 2nd grade. That's what is great about homeschooling--you can focus on what your child NEEDS and go from there. I was so worried that I couldn't HS an autistic child. I had him in a special autistic cluster at school, thinking these teachers are trained to SPECIFICALLY work with autistic children. But they couldn't help him! Nor had being in a mainstream class worked for him, for so many reasons. But once I started schooling him, things really changed in SO many ways. I know it's not for everyone, but the reality is that it can be life changing for some kids, and it's good that anyone who thinks that might be the case with their kids would look into it and do what is best for their child. Don't let fear hold you back from something that might help your son. You don't have to lock yourself into anything. You can try homeschooling for a year, and if it doesn't work, put him back in PS. Or you can keep him in PS and try homeschooling him over the summer and deciding at the end of the summer what you think is best. And you might find out that it's a lot easier than you expected and a lot more effective than you ever would have imagined. But if that's not the case, at least you tried it and now you know. You don't have to wonder, "what it".
January 9th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
Im all for trying!
His biggest accomplishsment this year, and I say this with so much bursting pride in my baby, is he can now answer 'I wayway' if you ask him his name. Took him over 2 years before he said mama but no one says mama like my Ray<3

so how do I begin?

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13
January 9th, 2013, 06:47 PM
carolinashore's Avatar Veteran
I started homeschooling my oldest last year for kindergarten. It wasn't something I had planned to do, but the closer the school year got, the more I realized I didn't want to send him to our local public school. We're homeschooling 1st grade this year, and will continue for the foreseeable future.

My 4 year old will be homeschooled also. He's actually what made me start thinking about homeschooling. He has life threatening food allergies to peanuts, some tree nuts, and eggs, and has a neurological disorder called Apraxia that affects his speech. Combining those things, I couldn't imagine sending him to school anytime soon. Last fall he was enrolled in our county's program for "speech" services, and they were completely lost with how to approach his speech disorder. That made up my mind. We'll start preschool in the fall, and kindergarten next fall.
alittlelost likes this.

January 9th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinashore View Post
I started homeschooling my oldest last year for kindergarten. It wasn't something I had planned to do, but the closer the school year got, the more I realized I didn't want to send him to our local public school. We're homeschooling 1st grade this year, and will continue for the foreseeable future.

My 4 year old will be homeschooled also. He's actually what made me start thinking about homeschooling. He has life threatening food allergies to peanuts, some tree nuts, and eggs, and has a neurological disorder called Apraxia that affects his speech. Combining those things, I couldn't imagine sending him to school anytime soon. Last fall he was enrolled in our county's program for "speech" services, and they were completely lost with how to approach his speech disorder. That made up my mind. We'll start preschool in the fall, and kindergarten next fall.
You rock <3 <3 <3 Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Im all for trying!
His biggest accomplishsment this year, and I say this with so much bursting pride in my baby, is he can now answer 'I wayway' if you ask him his name. Took him over 2 years before he said mama but no one says mama like my Ray<3

so how do I begin?
I'm going to PM you my email. Email me and I'll reply with some information on some first steps that I think will help you out then we'll take it from there. Just a couple steps at a time
January 9th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Rachael--my son has autism, too. Homeschool was the best thing I could have done for him!
Tinky and alittlelost like this.

*Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!
January 9th, 2013, 08:32 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We've been homeschooling for 7 years now. There are rough days, but I can't imagine having it any other way. They do go a few hours a week to an alternative public school that supports homeschooling.
alittlelost likes this.

January 10th, 2013, 05:38 AM
It's so nice to see other homeschooling mamas here
January 10th, 2013, 05:55 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's a possibility for us in the future. It's always intrigued me and the main purpose is that the public school system here is terrible. Right now my kids are in private school which seems to be going great so far, but it only goes up to 6th grade. We'll see what the future holds for us though.

January 10th, 2013, 06:06 AM
We considered private school here, too, but where we are there are a lot of hard drugs in the private schools (to be fair, it was like that where we were from, too, and even in the "nicer" public schools). (speaking of middle school and high school, though, not elementary). Of course, your kids (no matter what you do) could face decisions about things like that anyway, so you have to prepare them to make the right decisions if/when that happens. Education-wise, though, the private schools here seem pretty good! (But them, you have to pay like 30k a year per child for the ones worthwhile here, and then we'd also have to deal with the schools pushing their religious beliefs). I would love a non-religious, reasonably-priced private school (aside from my other qualms) but then, if we had those hear, we never would have started HSing and then I wouldn't know what I was missing.
BeachMum likes this.

Last edited by alittlelost; January 10th, 2013 at 06:47 AM.
January 10th, 2013, 06:29 AM
I've always wanted to but I have a lot of fears that have been mentioned, can I do it? Even though I was a teacher, I don't want to fail my kids either, which I hear is a very common fear. I have a lot of homeschool friends and I love the flexibility they have. I hate that my kids are away from me from 8-3:30 Monday-Friday. I HATE it. I really think I could homeschool my 2nd. We don't butt heads, but my daughter has a personality of being the best. She works hard in her class because she wants to be the best at it.

I actually didn't enroll them last year (#1 was going into 2nd and #2 was going into 1st) and was going to homeschool them. But then the curriculum got to me, I couldn't figure out which one to choose, then I got overwhelmed and then I chickened out and we put them in public school. (I had #4 a few weeks after the school year started).

They did fine in the public school, but it's because they got two amazing teachers. They were the top in their class but their teachers were giving them more work because they were finishing things so quickly. My daughter was doing multiplication while the others in her class were doing addition and subtraction still. Both of their teachers encouraged me to put them back in the private school here because they could push them more than they could.

So we put them back and they are still doing well. The reason I seriously considered it is because #2 is very smart, but gets bored if he already "knows" it and will get into trouble for talking or not staying on task. My brother was the same way and ended up hating school because he was always in trouble and bored. I didn't want my son to become that way. I talked a lot to his teacher about it and he's done great and not really gotten in trouble either (she gives him jobs to do).

So I take it year by year.

I will say though that our tuition isn't that high per student. We pay $800 a month for 2 of them in school right now. BUT we live in a tiny town.

January 10th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Tried it with DD1 for first grade after a horrible year in kindergarten and it was a massive fail. She has aspergers and needs the help from the school. She was back in school by January.

January 10th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Super Mommy
I have that fear of can I do it, and also am I doing harm in trying when I was not the best student. My mom never read a book in school, her aunt did all of her and her cousins projects and stuff and she did a wonderful job with my sis. When she surpassed my mom in math (which happened in 6th grade lol she is very bright in math) they changed curriculum to a program that was piped in thru satellite, and another by computer an other year. She could email if she had questions. It was amazing for my sister, one year for science they did small gas engines, they learned to take them apart and rebuild them and they loved it. When she was in 11th grade she decided she wanted to go to the vo-tech to be a vet tech assistant, in our area so many homeschool students have to be allowed to attended just like the public schools. When they went thru her school stuff they found she was only missing one required class and she completed that in the weeks she had left... She was so lucky! When she did graduate the tech school she had a certificate to work AND b/c she was enrolled in the public school she also got her deploma after never stepping foot in the high school.

January 10th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
I might possibly feel different if I worked in a school and lived in a great school district, but then, I've lived in great school districts before and that wasn't enough (for me--might have been for my kids, though--I don't know). But at the same time, then I never would have tried HSing so I never would have been able to compare. In other words, under difference circumstances I never would have started HSing and I never would have realized how much better I find it.
Being behind the scenes here for several years actually helped me feel better about our public school system (here, I've heard horror stories about other places). I'm all for each family making the best decision for their children though. Every child is different and thrives in different learning environments.

Something else factoring into my decision is that I am eager to start teaching again once all the kids are in school. I love being a SAHM, but I also loved teaching- it's a great career to have with a family.
BeachMum likes this.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
January 10th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Beachbabies, that's why I love our private school. I taught there for 4 years before staying home full time and I loved it there. Now at the public school here, all the teachers have their kids in the private schools. If that says anything on the schools here.

January 10th, 2013, 06:58 AM
I don't think it's for everyone. It takes a really dedicated parent to make it work, and even for parents that are dedicated, public school is working fine so why fix what's not broken? i'm just glad in our country we have a choice. Not everyone has that choice.

As for the fear of "can you do it"--I say yes. anyone who wants to make it work can, because NO ONE cares more about their child than a parent. It doesn't mean it will be right for you, but if anyone is going to fight to help their child learn, it will be the parent more than a school teacher. You also sound like one of those moms who like having their kids around (and NO judgement to parents who need a break. I think there are different types of moms out there, and all moms who love their kids are good moms!). If you want to try it, but are uncertain, try the summer thing. Test a few programs over the summer. See how it goes. It only takes a couple hours a day, and you don't have to do it every day. It would be just to get a feel for it and decide if that is a step you want to commit to. And what's the worst that can happen? You decide it doesn't work for you--so what? Nothing wrong with that. Either way, they'll get a continuation of education that summer and that's never a bad thing. Choosing curriculum IS hard. We're still refining that. But there are a lot of easy options you can try and just build around that. Most of my kids do their school through a computer program. I supplement based on what I see them learning in the program. I test them at the end of each year to see where they fall with what they've learned, and if we "missed" something that year, we just add it to the curriculum for the next year. Workbooks are great, too, and there are so many to chose from. You just pick grade appropriate ones (or based on their personal level) and work through it. You keep a folder with all their work. there are tons of checklists out there that will let you know what concepts your child needs to be learning in school for where they are at academically. It SEEMS a lot harder than it is. Your kids also sound very bright and like they learn easily. What is great is that you have had great teachers for them that encourage them to excel. And you can do that, too. My friend homeschools and her kids are advanced, but instead of pushing them TOO far ahead (where it might eventually become overwhelming) she keeps them a little ahead but gets them involved in other things--art courses, piano lessons, special math and science programs, nature walk groups, etc. They also all go to gymnastics. I'd say my kids get more of everything while being homeschooling, but in way less hours. My oldest also likes to pick special studies. for example, he's really interested in owning his own business, and we teach him about things like that, too. Because they also do organized sports and go to special events, they know how to operate under someone else's schedule, so they still learn that, but they ALSO learn how to utilize their own unique way of learning and living. anything they can do in public school, you can get while homeschooling. You'll just also get some other things going on (assuming they are things you care about getting!). Your private school tuition sounds really solid, too! Costs more than that just to go to daycare here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharilyn View Post
I have that fear of can I do it, and also am I doing harm in trying when I was not the best student. My mom never read a book in school, her aunt did all of her and her cousins projects and stuff and she did a wonderful job with my sis. When she surpassed my mom in math (which happened in 6th grade lol she is very bright in math) they changed curriculum to a program that was piped in thru satellite, and another by computer an other year. She could email if she had questions. It was amazing for my sister, one year for science they did small gas engines, they learned to take them apart and rebuild them and they loved it. When she was in 11th grade she decided she wanted to go to the vo-tech to be a vet tech assistant, in our area so many homeschool students have to be allowed to attended just like the public schools. When they went thru her school stuff they found she was only missing one required class and she completed that in the weeks she had left... She was so lucky! When she did graduate the tech school she had a certificate to work AND b/c she was enrolled in the public school she also got her deploma after never stepping foot in the high school.
That is AMAZING! It goes to show that even those who aren't "super smart" can still raise smart kids, even with homeschooling. I think maybe that was harder to do many years ago, but now, it's easy. There is so much. And it's been nice for me because I get to "relearn" things as an adult (you see things differently as an adult). Keeps me sharp
jkbaxter612 likes this.
January 10th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachMum View Post
Beachbabies, that's why I love our private school. I taught there for 4 years before staying home full time and I loved it there. Now at the public school here, all the teachers have their kids in the private schools. If that says anything on the schools here.
How telling Not everyone can afford private school and there are a LOT of bad public schools out there. Kids often aren't given a fair shot. If their parents don't live in a rich neighborhood, they might be sent to a sub-par school. Again, I don't blame the teachers themselves (though there are a few who are bad, there are plenty who are fantastic) but I blame the system.
January 10th, 2013, 07:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
I know there is a program out there, but not sure if it is nationwide and there are also restrictions. For some areas/schools it is free and some have to pay. I guess it's lke a mixture of home school and public?

K12 | Online Public School, Online High School, Online Private School, Homeschooling, and Online Courses options what do you seasoned mamas think about this program?

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13
January 10th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
K12 | Online Public School, Online High School, Online Private School, Homeschooling, and Online Courses options what do you seasoned mamas think about this program?
I personally feel that it's not true homeschooling. Sure, you do the work at home, but ultimately you have to do the work that they say you have to do in the time frame that they give. I much prefer to choose the lessons we do based on my kids learning styles, and at the pace that works best for us.

Adding--I had a friend whose daughter has aspergers and they did K12 in Georgia. Her daughter struggled because the pace was too quick for her. She needed more time. They were able to get an IEP in place eventually and that helped but she did say she's not doing K12 again. I think each K12 program is different in each state so I'm not sure how it works where you are.
Tinky likes this.

*Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

Last edited by jkbaxter612; January 10th, 2013 at 07:19 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search