Thoughts on getting babies vaccinated?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree59Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2013, 08:17 AM
round2t's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Lost you're right I think the biggest thing that needs stressed is the UNBIASED lefts and rights, because anyone with a strong enough opinion can convince you of something if you don't have knowledge yourself.

January 11th, 2013, 08:18 AM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est_la_vie View Post
That was my first issue, with my oldest. Before I made any choices, I told the Pedi that I would prefer to wait.. and then do one at a time. She told me there was 40 vaccines (which I think was false, there are actually 58? I think) and that some are 3 in 1's, or 4 in 1's & that if she let every parent "do as they please" the whole would would "collapse with illness". Not that I mean anything bad by this, but she came from a very poor & basically 3rd world conditions in South America & fed me literally 45 mins of horror stories.

I felt SO bullied.. No reason to bully ANY PARENT. Give them the ACCURATE info on BOTH sides, let them make the choice!
That sounds so awful I hate when doctors try to force their decisions upon us. When I start looking for a pediatrician or family doctor (I hope I shouldnt have done this already...), I think I'm going to ask their opinions and if they push me too much one direction or another then I'll find somebody else. I wonder if there are truly any doctors out here who offer unbiased advice on this subject lol
EDD: Aug. 9th, 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 11th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We do vax but I see both sides and support both decisions

January 11th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We vaccinate but we opt out of hep b at birth and wait until they are older to catch up on that one.
alittlelost and Irishgirl99 like this.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
January 11th, 2013, 08:25 AM
321abc
I don't think people who choose not to vaccinate are wrong or "uneducated" I think they have made a decision that they feel is best for their children.
There are pros and cons on both sides but for me vaccinating is what is best for my family. I don't think there is a wrong decision when it comes to vaccines. I just have my opinion about them.
I'm glad this has been kept mostly civil.

Before I had my son I posted a topic about elective induction and boy did that ever turn in to a mess it got shut off quick!
It was terrible and people were so mean to each other and I just wanted to know some experiences!
jkbaxter612 likes this.
January 11th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
This may be a repeat as I'm short on time and didn't read through the other responses yet. What I have read/been told is that babies do not have the ability to form the same type of immune response older toddlers/children/adults do. Vaccinating infants under a year doesn't really do anything. That's why they need so many repeat shots. If you wait until after, say 2, they need less shots because the immune system works better.

FWIW, We fully vaccinated our first on schedule, partial delay with the second and very delayed with the third.
alittlelost likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 11th, 2013, 08:30 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We vaccinate, on time DD1's did get spread out/delayed a bit because she was delivered early and had a few issues the first two years.

January 11th, 2013, 08:57 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbabies View Post
We vaccinate but we opt out of hep b at birth and wait until they are older to catch up on that one.
I think that's great. This is one of the reasons I think people should educate first before they vaccinate, though. So many people just say "I did research. I think it's best." and their research is basically "My doctor/the CDC told me to do it". That's not, IMO, research. AND, IMO, it's fine if people choose to vaccinate for those reasons alone. It's their child and their decision But I think think people should educate first (even though I respect if they don't) which is why encourage it.

Hep B is a great example. Most people who research, IMO, decide to at least delay that one, unless they have circumstances where it would be beneficial for their baby to be vaccinated for Hep B. Of course, I do realize some people may educate themselves and still get the HepB shot at birth, but I'm just saying I think LESS people would (w/ the HepB specifically) if they understood more about each vaccine, it's purpose, and it's risks.

Last edited by alittlelost; January 11th, 2013 at 09:06 AM.
January 11th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Mommy of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbabies View Post
The hospital my two were born at doesn't even offer hep B at birth. I'll be delivering at a different hospital this time though so I must check what their policy is
alittlelost likes this.

January 11th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirl99 View Post
The hospital my two were born at doesn't even offer hep B at birth. I'll be delivering at a different hospital this time though so I must check what their policy is
It seems even the pro-vax community can't agree on that one. I'm glad to hear your other hospital was taking precautions. I'm sure many parents appreciated that there. I hope you have another great hospital but most of all I'm glad that we are able to opt out if we feel the need.
Irishgirl99 likes this.
January 11th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Mommy of 3
Yeah I'll definitely be opting out if they do offer it

January 11th, 2013, 09:24 AM
My first two got hep b at birth. simply, at the time, I thought, "the professionals say these vaccines help and this is when to get them so that is what I will do". I'm glad everything worked out, but in retrospect I wish had educated myself first. I still might have vaccinated, but I think for sure I would have skipped a few/delayed a few (including the hep b at birth). of course, once my son had a reaction and I looked into my family history regarding vaccines, I realized delayed/selective wasn't what was best for us, but if you took that history away I still might have made *slightly* different choices if I'd known more. I think that's why I'm so "pro-choice" but "please educate yourself first" about this issue. I won't judge anyone who chooses not to educate first, though, because I know what it's like to blindly follow along and think nothing of it. I know I loved my kids and was doing what was best for them, even though I didn't think at the time I needed to educate myself more.
January 11th, 2013, 10:13 AM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't come to a decision yet. This is my first. I think I'm going to but space them out more. But then again, I'm not doing the testing while its in my belly either because I don't want to risk the pregnancy. Why would I want to start poking at the baby the moment he or she comes out? I'm fully vaccinated and even had to have more when I was in middle school for leaving the country for a while.. And I'm never sick. I'm still torn but probably will say none on birthday and spread them out to not bombard a little baby immune system.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
January 11th, 2013, 10:40 AM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
I vaccinate but I don't like to do the flu shot for little ones. I do delay several of them a little bit though.

January 11th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I vaccinate on time. I work in health care and I've asked a lot of the docs I work with (because I trust them over someone who I feel sometimes try to push things) and they all feel that vaccinating is a better alternative to coming down with a disease or sickness that could be deadly or life-changing. This is with the exception of the flu shot. I get the flu shot because of my grandparents. I don't want to possibly expose them to something when their health is already ailing.

I don't take issue with people who don't vaccinate though (or co-sleep, or cry it out, or breastfeed, or what have you). I honestly think there is far too much judging that goes on with these things. Most of us are just doing what works best for us and our families. I think it is important to respect and support each other rather than tear each other down and make them feel bad for their choices.

The truth is, we just don't know for sure. I feel like so many of these studies (both ways) are flawed. I don't think there is a ton of unbiased research out there, even if it is supposed to be.
Anchored, 321abc, FL Mama and 2 others like this.

January 11th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Well said, Hesperleigh! Your last comment is a reason I tell mamas who want to research the best option for them personally (which is great no matter what they chose) to be sure they are looking at data/numbers, not swayed/biased information from people who have financial gain depending on their decision. Way too much slant on BOTH sides of these debates with about 95%+ of resources and studies. I'm really glad the women on this forum don't judge or attack each other for having different opinions on this issue (or anything else we've discussed so far!)
Hesperleigh, Anchored and mrskfet like this.
January 11th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh oh oh! Jumping back in, I forgot something:

I totally forgot that Chase got a bad allergic reaction to one of his 6 month vaccines. He had the normal 6 month ones plus TWO flu shots (that was the year when swine flu had it's own vaccine). The doctors weren't sure which of them caused it, but their thought was that it was one or both of the flu vaccines (because he had the other ones at 4 months with no reaction). The pediatrician was REALLY leaning towards it being the h1n1 vaccine because it was so new... I DID decide that I would not get him any "new" vaccines ever again, after that. The following year we skipped the flu vaccine because I was scared (actually I think I skipped it 2 years in a row now that I think about it), and got it for him this year (the combined vaccine), through the nasal mist not injection and he didn't have any issues.

This is what the rash looked like if anyone is interested in seeing it:

You can see his left eye is swollen shut

And this is a better view of the rash itself.

So yeah, just wanted to put that out there for new moms trying to figure out which direction to go.

I think a lot of us, no matter which side we're on, have reservations here and there. As pro-vaccine as I am, I was terrified after this happened. I also am thinking of skipping the chickenpox vaccine with this baby because Chase got the vaccine and then got the chicken pox TWICE after! Oy! I'd rather him just get the chicken pox and get it out of the way lol
alittlelost likes this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

January 11th, 2013, 11:57 AM
awe poor baby I think it's great that you are taking your family's personal vaccine history into account when making decisions on this issue.
Anchored likes this.
January 11th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay now I'm really thinking about it again and I may vaccinate on an alternative schedule this time around. After seeing some of you mention it, I really don't like the thought of putting all of that into a tiny baby at one time. With your first, I think you're more inclined to do what people tell you to do (doctors, family)... I am definitely going to still vaccinate, but I think I will do it slower. Hmmm... lots to think about!
jkbaxter612 and mrskfet like this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

January 11th, 2013, 12:08 PM
You might want to read the Dr Sears book on Vaccines. That was what I used when I wanted to build an alternate vax schedule. It does NOT put you off vaccines but it also doesn't make you feel pressured into getting them. I really got no bias one way or the other from reading it. My kids pedi now said even if you use a delayed vax schedule it's easy to get them all their vaccines by time they start school. Oh, a few friends of mine also look at vax schedules from other countries to get an idea. Someone here mentioned earlier that Japan has seen some benefits from changing their schedule to one that is more delayed. Might help to take a look at how they do it there to help inspire your personal plan?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search