Thoughts on getting babies vaccinated?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree59Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Diamond2009's Avatar Boss Mama
We definately vacinate .....always have always will. not going to get into any further details because i dont want to start a debate or put anyone down who doesnt. Personal choice.
Irishgirl99 likes this.

Forever in our hearts
Lauren born sleeping July 5th 2012 at 18 weeks
Boo Boo's heart stopped beating at 13 weeks D&C Feb 2013

Hoping & praying for our rainbow baby after 2 back to back 2nd trimester losses

January 11th, 2013, 11:54 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks, I'll definitely check it out!

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

January 11th, 2013, 11:58 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond2009 View Post
We definately vacinate .....always have always will. not going to get into any further details because i dont want to start a debate or put anyone down who doesnt. Personal choice.
I personally would never feel put down. As I see it, we all do what is best for our children, so there's nothing to feel put down about (and you don't strike me as the kind of person who needs to attack other people's views in order to express your own). That said, I think it's awesome that you are sensitive to others and don't even want to leave room for them to feel that way. I'm also glad that you are educated about vaccines and made the decision that was right for your kids. That is great gift to give your children, IMO
January 11th, 2013, 06:28 PM
FL Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We also fully vaccinate on time, and always will, including the flu shot (I missed out on that thread so thought I'd put that out there). The only exception is that I won't get the flu shot while pregnant. I've never had an issue with any vaccine, but I'm just paranoid about getting a vaccine while the baby is just developing. I DO NOT want to have another miscarriage. I'm actually pretty torn about the whole thing (especially this year since the flu is so bad), but I just can't bring myself to do it. My hubby and boys are vax'd against it so I'm hoping I'll be okay. I may discuss it with my doc when I see him.

Noah Joseph - 8/22/03
Jonah Thomas - 9/29/05
Patricia Carryl - Due 8/23/13

Missing my Heavenly Babies - 10/28/04 - 14wks & Baby Born Still - 10/18/11 - 17wks

January 11th, 2013, 06:41 PM
If you've never had a reaction to a vaccine, then I would think you would be okay to get the flu vaccine while pregnant (but I'm not a doctor, so don't take my word for it). As I see it, newborns are just developing, too, so if vaccines have been safe for your newborns, they would probably be safe for the "fetus" as well (I don't like that term but it helped make a distinction here). But I can understand being extra cautious while pregnant. Obviously a newborn is much stronger than a baby in utero. If you don't want to get it, maybe your doctor can make suggestions for how to keep your immune system strong during flu season? There's so much you can do usually, though I haven't looked into what you can do while pregnant. Your doctor will probably know more, though!
FL Mama likes this.
January 11th, 2013, 06:50 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
on the subject of reactions, my middle DD had a bad reaction to one of her shots (she had gotten 4 at once so I have no idea which one or if it was a combo) at around 1.5. Her entire thigh swelled up and turned bright red, she didn't want to walk for days! After that is when we started doing delayed and spaced out vax.
alittlelost likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 11th, 2013, 07:40 PM
Jen71's Avatar Super Mommy
Re: the flu shot during pregnancy , I read there is a 700% increase in miscarriage with flu shots. Not sure if that was brought up in another post or not?

I work with children on the spectrum and with developmental delays, and before my first was born I heard so many stories of parents who questioned if problems were due to vaccines, some that swear the issues started right after a vax. With that, I did a ton of research on vaccines before my son was born. I decided to do a selective/delayed vax schedule, because I still felt vaccines were very important.

I started the vaccines with son one on an agreed upon schedule with our ped. At his 2nd dose of DTaP, he had a bad reaction, high fever, odd cry, hugely swollen injection site, he started drooling (still does at age 7), and I remember seeing the "light in his eyes" go out, and it was replaced by a flat look. He stopped babbling. I did a lot of work to try to help him heal after that with nutrition and therapies. He was tested for autism at age 3 at the recommendation of both his ped and his preschool teacher, and it was determined he was "just" speech delayed and low tone. He's 7 now and doing well other than low coordination, drooling, and some mild issues with reading and math. He hasn't had a shot since his bad reaction, with the cautious blessing of our wonderful pediatrician. I don't know that the vax caused all of his issues, but I can't rule it out 100% based on the sequence of events.

2nd son I waited even longer to start his vax schedule. He had very few shots, (just polio, Hib) his 1st DTaP at 15 months. He had started saying a new word a week for several months before the shot, I remember thinking that I was relieved because it seemed he wasn't going to have the same speech troubles his bother did, and he stopped saying words completely after the DTaP. He is now 4.5 and still has delayed speech, but has no where near the same troubles his brother (who had more shots) has. Is it related to the shot? I don't know.

With all of that, I don't give either of them any more shots. I think there may be something about their systems that don't metabolize the ingredients in the DTaP in particular, and I'm terrified to find out about the other shots.

I'm thrilled when people make the choice to vax and their kids have no troubles. What a blessing for them. I just can not in good conscience give it to my kids, or whole heartedly recommend them to others. But I hold no judgement at all if someone does choose to vax.
alittlelost likes this.

January 11th, 2013, 08:07 PM
Jen71, you expressed yourself so eloquently. I practically could have written your post, our experiences were so similar. You are an amazing mother. Keep it up. Your kids are lucky to have you. *hugs*

(also, I didn't know that about the flu shot. I'm not big on vaccines for my family in general, for reasons similar to what you went through, but now I'm actually surprised so many drs push the flu shot on pregnant women with stats like that. Then again, considering my experiences, maybe I shouldn't be surprised.)
January 11th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
On the flu shot issue - In September, about 2 months before conceiving, the military made me get the flu shot while TTC even though I expressed concern (because I had heard mixed things), but in the end, they said it was totally fine and I didn't really have a choice anyway (go military ) so I went ahead with it. A few weeks later, someone else told me that they had been able to deny theirs (at a different base) and were even told not to TTC for 3 months after because there could be birth defects etc. O_O I was so pissed, but it was done and it had been 2 months, I figure I'm safe, since they do give them to pregnant women too... but still, I wouldn't want to knowingly get any vaccine during pregnancy unless it was super important, just because I'm not educated enough on the possible side effects. I just hate being lied to and ignored by military doctors. I love my country and all, but the medical system sucks in the military. :/

As for vaxing my kids... the more I read, the more I want to either wait to vax them or have a slow/delayed schedule. My whole family always got vaccines and never had any issues, but reading so many stories makes me a little nervous. I will probably still vaccinate the baby (after doing more research, of course) unless I see a specific negative reaction in my child after receiving one, but I am curious about the no-vaxing. I'm in general the type that doesn't medicate myself unless I really really need it, including ibuprofen etc. lol I just like to power through things, but with my baby, I don't want to take a chance unless my research shows that it may be genuinely better for him or her. I want them to be protected, but I don't want to open them up to other dangers, should that be an issue. There seems to be evidence for both sides, so it's a tough question. I understand both sides, and have seen both of them with family and friends.. I just have to educate myself and pick one, and see what works for my family, but it's a tough one...
alittlelost likes this.

Last edited by Allie_SMg; January 11th, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
January 11th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Allie, with your approach, I don't think you can make a wrong decision. You're educating yourself. In the end, you'll come to a decision you can live with based on what you learn. I think the reason there is evidence to support both sides is because there's really no "clear" answer on this. I mean, yes, some of us NOW see a "clear answer" but that is because it's become clear to us what "risks" we want to live with. Unfortunately, there is no Risk-Free option here. I'd personally be wary of anyone who claims there is, because, as you said, there's evidence that PROVES those risks DO exist within the realms of all of your options. It will come down to weighing the risks and risk probabilities against your own child and, ultimately, their personal healthy may end up being the deciding factor. Sometimes the answer doesn't become 100% clear until you've been on your chosen path for a while. But you'll figure it out and, most likely, no matter what you decide and what risks they might face, your child WILL be okay. I know it's scary though, and I know it's hard to decide when so many doctors seem willing to straight lie to you about things. It's hurtful and confusing. But IMO this is why it's great you educate yourself. I can never put my health or my children's health 100% in any doctors hands because they are still human. They can still make mistakes. They can still be "followers" because it's "cool" or "popular". They are perfect people with all the answers. They went to med school and they learned what med school wanted them to learn, simple as that, but the medical community really doesn't have all the answers either, so sometimes we have to use our intuition and sometimes we have to try to learn things for ourselves so we can trust the information--know where it comes from and what the numbers were. Look at the data of the studies (including understanding what data might be missing and how that compares to others studies where that data isn't missing) instead of looking at the "bottom line" of what someone with an agenda was able to construe from the data.

I think if I was a doctor, I'd probably recommend vaccines just because if something goes wrong, ultimately people will be mad at the vaccine companies and CDC, but if a doctor says "don't vaccinate" then they get the blame if something goes wrong, even though there are risks either way. Some doctors do vaccinate their children, of course. Some do so on delayed schedules, too. And other doctors don't vaccinate. Heck,even some people who work for vaccine companies/have worked for vaccine companies don't vaccinate. So even when you look there, you see mixed decisions. Because for *many* (not all), there isn't some perfect solution. For us, it was an easy decision because we know with our medical history that our family has a better than average immune system and that our family has a high rate of vaccine reactions. And others have an easy decision in deciding TO vaccinate, too. But it's IMO healthy to want to educate yourself and see what is the best decision for your family, too. If you do that, you'll find your decision as well. it may or may not be an easy decision. But it will be an educated decision, and no matter what you decide, that means you are already offering your child more than most people would.
Allie_SMg likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search