Back from appointment!

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 9 Post By Momma2Chase
  • 1 Post By Beachbabies

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
Well for starters, that was WAY longer than I expected! I found out that because of my PCOS and insulin resistance, they're essentially treating me as diabetic this pregnancy. Most of the appointment was with their diabetes counselor, and she went over a lot of information. I will be checking my blood sugar 4 times a day every day! AND I have a strict diet to follow, along with a food diary I need to turn in to them (along with my blood sugar readings). I'm a little shocked because I didn't expect this at all.

They didn't address my seizures too much- basically the gist of it was that I should be on the lowest possible dose of medication (that will control the seizures), and we'll play it by ear.

I got a quick (and I mean QUICK) ultrasound! The nurse practitioner came in with what I thought was a doppler... and then she flipped up a little screen and told me it was a mini ultrasound machine! It was so cute! lol She did a quick scan, found the baby immediately, and pointed out the baby and heartbeat to me. She couldn't do official measurements on this machine, but she said the baby looks "right on target" for 10 weeks and the heartbeat looks good.
I didn't get any print outs though since it wasn't a real ultrasound.

I go back on the 30th for my 12 week ultrasound

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

January 16th, 2013, 10:14 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
it's so interesting to me how different doctors treat the same conditions! I have pcos and IR as well and have never been treated as diabetic, other than suggestions to check my blood sugar once in a while (like every few months). Interesting...

I've never heard of a mini us machine, that sounds kinda cool!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 16th, 2013, 10:20 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats on your appointment! bet the mini ultrasound gave you peace of mind bet you are excited for the real ultrasound coming up!! glad your appt went well but sorry to hear about all that diabetes stuff you have to deal with
January 16th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Veteran
Well the diabetes stuff sounds like a major bummer but YAY for "mini" u/s and beautiful baby!!
Elli (age 4)
miscarriage Sept 09
Audrey (age 2)
miscarriage Aug 12
Baby #4 - BOY!!! - due Aug 31, 2013
January 16th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks ladies! Still shocked but I'll get over it lol I have a good excuse to go food shopping now though hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
it's so interesting to me how different doctors treat the same conditions! I have pcos and IR as well and have never been treated as diabetic, other than suggestions to check my blood sugar once in a while (like every few months). Interesting...

I've never heard of a mini us machine, that sounds kinda cool!

Exactly my thoughts! I had PCOS/IR when I was pregnant with Chase, I was seen for ONE appointment at the same MFM office but it was for something relating to my ex-husband's family history. My IR was never a concern. I failed the first glucose test, but then passed the 2nd so didn't have to worry about anything then either.

I'm hoping if I do the diet and blood sugars religiously for a few weeks they will let me quit the blood sugar checks. I don't mind the diet, because it's healthy for me and baby, but I feel like this is kind of an excessive step for someone who MAY develop GD. :\

*Thank you to

January 16th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like everything went well! yay!
January 16th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Mommy of 3
Wow that sounds a bit extreme alright!! Hopefully you won't have to do it for the whole pregnancy.

Cool about the mini ultrasound machine though. I never saw one like that!

January 16th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Just saw this post- I asked how it went in your old post

So glad baby is doing well!!!! Sorry to hear about the strict diet and blood sugar readings. That is interesting that you didn't have to do it last pregnancy- maybe some new research has surfaced since then. We can be diabetes buddies this pregnancy- not always fun but at least we can commiserate.
Momma2Chase likes this.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
January 17th, 2013, 04:41 AM
Kellye, do you have diabetes or are you insulin resistant being treated as diabetic too?

*Thank you to

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search