5 yr age gap

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelllilee
  • 1 Post By Jenilope

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2013, 03:47 PM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Those with kids with about a 5 yr age gap, what's it like? My three are 11 months 10 days apart and then 19 mons 19 days apart. I had 3 under 3. Now my youngest will be 5 when baby is here and I'm worried about him being jealous, especially since he's been the baby for so long. The kid is still sleeping with me! Any ideas how to get him ready for baby?

January 16th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I'm wondering something similar. My three I have now are all close to 2 years apart and this time there will be almost 4 years, so it makes me a little nervous. I did find it was an easier transition with my others when they were able to witness the birth. I think it makes them feel more a part of the whole process rather than suddenly some other person shows up they have to now deal with. I imagine that is rather alarming for some kids. But, that's not always an option or something parents WANT. ..
JessKeller24 likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 16th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Veteran
My only child is 5, will turn six just before this baby is born. I was pretty worried about how adjusting to having a sibling would go for him, and am still a bit worried, however his reaction to the news has alleviated my fear quite a bit. He is soo excited! He talks to my tummy all the time, tells the baby secrets, comes up with plans--even really practical ones like, "it would be easier if it's a boy because then it can use all my clothes and toys." I think it is just his personality--he is very social. My greatest fear is actually if I lose the baby how that would be for him. (I'm over 10 weeks and my ultrasound last week looked good--so hoping everything is good!!). That doesn't really answer your question . . . sorry!
January 16th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a 7 1/2 yr age gap. It's been wonderful! My son has not been jealous at all. That might have to do with personality rather than age, though. He's always been a huge help with her and is understanding when I've had to deal with her and it takes away from him. I will say this, though--even with the age gap they still fight all the time! lol

It really was great to know that he was ok when she was newborn and I was nursing, etc. (he went to the bathroom himself, made his own snacks, played independently, etc)

January 16th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Dirtroads's Avatar Facta Non Verba
I've wondered about this too. My dd will turn 6 right after baby is born. She is excited too, she believes that she will get a brother and talks about him all the time so I am taking that as a good sign . . . but hope she isn't dissapointed if we have a girl.

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 16th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I'm worried about this as well. Our youngest will be 4 and our oldest will be almost 6. I'm hoping they are helpful, but seeing as how they fight amongst themselves ALL THE TIME I'm a bit nervous.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 16th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
it was amazing. dd1 was independent and really ready to be a big sister. There were no jealousy issues at all.

January 16th, 2013, 09:09 PM
annabelpolo's Avatar SAHMommy expecting #2
I dont have personal experience since DD is an only child right now but my sister has an 18 month old and a 6 yr old and when my baby niece was born, older niece was very excited and protective of her. But as soon as baby niece started walking at age 1, older niece has been total opposite! She will forbid baby going into her room or playing with her toys, older niece doesnt want to play with baby niece. My sister tries talking to my older niece but so far its not working. Every child is different, of course, but a lot of it has to do with personalities, IMO

January 17th, 2013, 09:42 AM
IvyMommy's Avatar Veteran
I worry too my youngest turns 8 next month and so once the baby is born they will be 8 1/2 yrs apart....eek my dd and ds are only 2 1/2 yrs apart
January 17th, 2013, 10:52 AM
just_jenn's Avatar Veteran
My oldest is almost 4 years older then my youngest but he was very helpful when my youngest was born. He was not jealous at all. I did make it a point for both my husband and I to set aside time just to spend with him after my YDS was born so that may have helped him adjust. When this one comes my oldest will be almost 10 and my youngest will be 6 so I do not anticipate any jealously. My kids have been asking for a sister or brother for a while now so I am hoping that they will be helpful.

January 17th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
My girls are all pretty close in age and we haven't had any serious jealousy issues, but my oldest will be 5 years 1 month old when this baby is born.

My nephews are over 4 years apart, and they've adjusted beautifully. I really think that encouraging the older child to exercise (and relish!) his/her independence as well as making him/her a valuable helper for baby both help with the transition and assist the older child in realizing that while it might look like baby is getting more attention, it's because they have different needs and mommy is so so proud of her big boy/girl who can do all these wonderful things him/herself that baby can't.
onemoremakesfour likes this.

January 17th, 2013, 11:44 AM
onemoremakesfour's Avatar ThreeBoys
All 3 of my DS's are 4 1/2 years apart. Not planned that way, had a couple miscarriages in between. I love the age difference and they are all so helpful with one another.

My youngest will turn 6 a couple of months after the baby is born and my oldest will turn 15. When I had the youngest my oldest (who was turning 9) wanted me to have him on his birthday. There was no way I was doing that, even though the Dr wanted me to have him a week before his due date which was his birthday. I said no and they are 9 years and 6 days apart

I will say - these boys will get to picking on each other sometimes as if they're close in age. It gets pretty wild at the house sometimes!!

I still haven't told them about the new one coming. I'm thinking maybe this weekend. I want them to know before anyone else and I'll be 11 1/2 weeks by then. Still scared of the reaction from my oldest.
January 17th, 2013, 11:47 AM
tparum's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to tparum Send a message via Yahoo to tparum
my son was 5 when I had dd and it went great a lil jalousie at times but couldn't be the best for siblings. what I did was I told him that his sister was his baby and mommy needed his help with her and he listend and all

Allways Remembering our Angels
Angelina Marie 08-02-99,William Dewayne 02-08-01,Thomas Ray 07-30-02 and BabyBean 02-22-08 and BabyBean 03/02/2012

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search