Need vs waste of money

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PhD_Bound_Mommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2013, 03:25 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What were some baby items you couldn't live without? Ad why?

What were some baby items that were a waste of money? And why?

I couldn't live without a bouncer. I put baby in it whenever I needed to get something down like shower, cleaning, all that.

Waste of money would have been the diaper genie! Yes it holds the smelly diaper scent in, but it holds it in so well when you empty it, it smells worse than a sewer!

Last edited by JessKeller24; January 17th, 2013 at 03:28 AM.
January 17th, 2013, 04:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What were some baby items you couldn't live without? And why? I couldn't live without my swing. Neither of my kids liked the bouncer but they loved that swing. Oh and the paci holder. I can't tell you how many of those darn things I lost and my kids would flip.

What were some baby items that were a waste of money? And why? Diaper Geenie, I got rid of it within a week, I would just walk the dirty diapers out to the big can.
JessKeller24 likes this.
January 17th, 2013, 06:42 AM
onemoremakesfour's Avatar ThreeBoys
I couldn't live without the swing (for the first two) and vibrating bouncer (for the last one).

I could live without the changing table. It's good for storing diapers, but I never actually changed my babies on it. However, I've had it over 14 years and all three kids so I guess it served its purpose. It's a very nice wood diaper holder that still looks new.

I could also live without the jumping johnny I bought for my first DS. I put him in it and thought he was going to kill himself. Needless to say that was gone quickly! Maybe they make them better now...
January 17th, 2013, 06:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What were some baby items you couldn't live without? And why?
Boppy pillow and nursing stool
Sleep wrap and Ergo

Diaper warmer (didn't work) and bottle warmer (never used bottles)

*Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!
January 17th, 2013, 06:49 AM
KnitterLaurel's Avatar Super Mommy
What were some baby items you couldn't live without? Ad why?
Boppy, moby wrap, bouncy chair.

For us it was, swing, jumperoo, stroller (until after baby is 1), diaper genie.

January 17th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
Waste of money (for me):
Changing table (turned into a bookshelf)
Pacifiers (Chase just would not take them and I bought a bunch before he was born)
Bottle warmer

Couldn't live without:
SWING!
Bouncer was good once he was older
Boppy

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

January 17th, 2013, 07:02 AM
321abc
I couldn't live without a swing! It's like an electronic baby sitter. (Lol)
I think a changing table is probably a waiste of money, if someone gives you one great but I use the floor or the baby bed more
January 17th, 2013, 07:28 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Couldn't live without:
- Swings, the one we bought for #4 is my favorite, you can plug it in the wall, take the base out and use as a bouncer (great when I needed a shower), looooved it. Can't wait to use it again.
- pack n play
- Moby wrap.and now ergo
- angel care monitor
- gas drops
- swaddle blankets
-big burp cloths
-nipple cream

Waste:
- pacifiers, I tried so hard to get my last 2 to take one instead of using me, but nope.
- wipes warmer
- another diaper genie hater

Last edited by BeachMum; January 17th, 2013 at 07:42 AM.
January 17th, 2013, 07:37 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Couldn't live without: TONS of burp cloths, bouncer chair, stretchy blankets for swaddling, pack n play with bassinette attachment, baby monitor, bath sponge (the one that looks like a bear or something and you can lay newborn on), nose sucker, nipple cream

Waste of money: Boppy, wipes warmer, swing, Swaddle Me type blankets/wraps, changing table, bottle warmer, infant bathtub....I'm sure there are more lol

January 17th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Couldn't live without: ergo baby carrier, swing, snuggle nest for the first few months, boppy

Waste of money: agreed on the diaper genie...now we just use those bags and throw them away, walker (his pedi said not to use them and we got one at the shower).

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
January 17th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
Needed:
LOTS of burp cloths, MyBrestFriend nursing pillow, baby wraps/carriers

Waste:
Swaddle wraps--the kind with velcro--all my babies were too tall, I much prefered to use stretchy blankets or flannel blankets and swaddle myself.

Newborn clothes--I swear my girls lived in pjs, onesies, gowns or kimono shirts burried snug and warm inside a swaddle for months. I don't think I regularly dressed them (except church) until after they started walking.

Pants with feet attached--these NEVER fit my girls--I'm not talking about footie pjs where it's all one piece, I'm talking about just PANTS with feet. I know my kids were on the tall side, so I couldn't pull the pants with feet up high enough for them, but, even if they fit, I have trouble imagining how these would stay up unless they were fastened to the shirt somehow (we did have some PJs when they were older that had pants with feet but had snaps at the waist to attach to the shirt, those were fine)

"Fussy" clothes--things that button in the back, things that have teeny tiny buttons, things that can't be machine washed and dried, things with beautiful ruffles and trims that only look cute until they get washed the first time and then look like a hot mess--all of these were nothing but a source of stress. Silk and cashmere baby clothes? Insane.

Mom to four beautiful girls

Matilda (6), Evelyn (4), Adelaide (2), Cecily (11 months)

January 17th, 2013, 09:08 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I have to have my sling. I find for summer babies a whole lot of outfits are useless when its hot a simple onesie will work. I really like my bassinet when they are brand new.

Pretty much all other baby furniture I find useless. I have very limited space and plenty of hands (kids) to hold, bounce, whatever. LOL
#12 is on the way
January 17th, 2013, 09:09 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
"Fussy" clothes--things that button in the back, things that have teeny tiny buttons, things that can't be machine washed and dried, things with beautiful ruffles and trims that only look cute until they get washed the first time and then look like a hot mess--all of these were nothing but a source of stress. Silk and cashmere baby clothes? Insane.
THIS!!!!! Also, for baby girls, tights. Oh wow I think I attempted that exactly ONE time lol.

January 17th, 2013, 09:30 AM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Couldnt live without:
Changing Table (LOVED it!)
Swing
Bouncer (and all of the things like that; exersaucer, jumper, ect)

Could live without:
Playmat (my son hated it)

We got lucky and my son really seemed to love everythign so nothing was a waste.

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

January 17th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Jen71's Avatar Super Mommy
Definitely need a sling, bouncy seat, and boppy. I did like our wipe warmer because we have an old drafty house and those wipes got cold and startled my boys until we got the warmer.

I never used our changing table or crib.

January 17th, 2013, 09:34 AM
just_jenn's Avatar Veteran
Couldnt live without: swing and bouncer.....my youngest would only sleep in the swing while it was in motion for the first 3 months. Once I figured that out life got so much easier...burp clothes, I always use those white ones that are cloth diapers so much more absorbant then the tiny thin ones sold as burb clothes

Waste of money: changing table, diaper holder (i just used a bin to throw diapers in) lots of newborn clothes and newborn diapers, diaper genie, wipe warmer

January 17th, 2013, 10:49 AM
annabelpolo's Avatar SAHMommy expecting #2
Couldnt live without: Boppy, Dr. Brown Formula Mixer Pitcher, papasan swing, bottle sterilizer

Waste of Money: stroller (until DD was old enough to actually sit in it), bassinet, newborn clothes and diapers

January 17th, 2013, 12:25 PM
AprylLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
couldnt live without:
- boppy,
- moby,
-swing
-my pump!
-rock n play
-

waste of money:
- bouncer, jumper and walker-neither of my kids liked these things.
- diaper genie- i still smelled diapers and it was nasty to clean. much easier to just throw it in a store bag tie it up throw it in the big trash and it goes out at end of night.
-playmat-neither of my kids would play on it

Visit my blog:http://adventuresofamom.blog.com/
January 17th, 2013, 03:18 PM
Super Mommy
What were some baby items you couldn't live without? And why? Boppy(I actually sleep with one, its the only pillow that does not hurt my neck), RocknPlay Sleeper, wearable blankets

What were some baby items that were a waste of money? And why? Wipe warmer was pointless because when it was not supposed to be left on or it dried out my wipes and when I needed one it didn't heat fast enough, Bumpers they came with my crib set but I never used them since they're not breathable

January 17th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Kaisia's Avatar Veteran
This is my first, so I don't have any answers. But I've sure been wondering (and am anxious to start putting together my registry/wish list), so keep 'em coming!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search