Making baby food?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By AprylLynn
  • 1 Post By AprylLynn
  • 1 Post By miniRazz
  • 1 Post By PhD_Bound_Mommy
  • 1 Post By Jenilope
  • 1 Post By PhD_Bound_Mommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 18th, 2013, 08:07 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plant to make my own baby food this time around. Who makes their own and what do you use? I was looking at the baby bullet but on amazon it doesn't have great reviews. Also how do you store it? Would breats milk bags work, so I don't have to buy two different types of freezer storage. Any recipes you want to share? I need to know everything!

January 18th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Fins's Avatar Super Mommy
I just always used my immersion blender and used ice cube trays. Mostly I pureed any foods that we ate but would leave out the salt and spices. As DD got older I used the baby chopper.

I just pinned the bag storage on pinterest the other day. I think they sell them at BBRus. That might be a lot more convenient for when you're on the go.

^ oh and I'd mix fruits with veggies since once they get the tastes for fruits that is pretty much all they want.

January 18th, 2013, 08:24 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used little tupperware containers and just a regular food processor. We generally don't start solids until about 9 months or later, though. (With our first, we started at 6 months, so there was a lot more baby food pureeing going on with him).

I don't have any specific recipes, but I will say this. Try to find recipes that use similar ingredients each week. It makes things easier. So say you want to do apples, bananas, carrots, and sweet potatoes. You can do apples, sweet potatoes, carrots, bananas, apple-banana, apple-carrot, apple-sweet potato, sweet potato-bananas. So you get like "8" varieties with 4 options. Of course at first you want to try one food at a time (not mixes) to check for food allergies
January 18th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Veteran
This is my first time around, but I also plan on making baby food. My cousin does have the baby bullet and she absolutely loves it!!
January 18th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
I didn't do it w/ DS, but was thinking about doing it a bit this time. Probably not exclusively though

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

January 18th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
We make our baby food too. I just cooked veggies and fruits and pureed them in a small food chopper. Then I poured the food into ice cube trays. And then, once it's frozen, I popped the cubes out and put them in ziploc bags and labeled what was in each. It's SO easy. I honestly can't wait to do it again.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 18th, 2013, 08:57 AM
AprylLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I made my own baby food with both my kids. I used this website to get the recipes and freezer instructions/tips ect. I would make big batches, put them into ice trays then when frozen pop them out throw them into a big zip lock freezer bag or container and label. I made enough to last 3-4 months. When your ready to use Id take out a cube or two put in a pain to warm it up or the bottle warmer worked to but took a bit longer. Then your ready to go. If your on the go i put it in mini containers and by the time I used them at the grandparents house or w/e they would be defrosted or almost and just needed a little warming. I didnt use any special processor. Those baby bullets and baby ones are a waste you can really just use anything. You could use a bm bag I dont see why not if you wanted to stick with the same bag.
To make them I would just steam the veggies or fruit, puree it. Some things you need to add a little water to, to make it bit thinner like carrots. Its very easy. Also if you wanted to like Fins mentioned you could just take what your eating, mush it up and serve. I did that too. Its sooo easy.

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husher View Post
We make our baby food too. I just cooked veggies and fruits and pureed them in a small food chopper. Then I poured the food into ice cube trays. And then, once it's frozen, I popped the cubes out and put them in ziploc bags and labeled what was in each. It's SO easy. I honestly can't wait to do it again.
I cant wait to do it again too. I had a lot of fun with it.
miniRazz likes this.

Visit my blog:http://adventuresofamom.blog.com/
January 18th, 2013, 09:05 AM
Fins's Avatar Super Mommy
here are the bags at Baby R Us I was talking about.

Fresh Squeezed | Infantino | Baby Toys, Carriers, Travel Gear, & Shopping Cart Covers from Infantino®

January 18th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
We did the ice cube tray method as well. Though I haven't made my own baby food since my oldest was a baby - no time!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 18th, 2013, 09:59 AM
AprylLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fins View Post
oh my gosh those things are awsome! I didnt know they made them! I buy those ones from happy baby and the kids eat them in the car or in the store. I was thinking I wish they made a reuseable one. Or one that I could put my own foods in.
Fins likes this.

Visit my blog:http://adventuresofamom.blog.com/
January 18th, 2013, 10:13 AM
miniRazz's Avatar <3 my rainbow baby
I made baby food for my nephew when I looked after him and just used a food processor.
Since I am anti plastic when it comes to putting hot/warm food into it, I came up with the idea to get a mini muffin silicone pan.
Amazon.com: 24 Cup Silicone Mini Muffin Pan: Kitchen & Dining
(I know I could always wait until the food has cooled down but I am anticipating not having a lot of time on my hands)

I will put the baby food in it, put in freezer and then they will be easy to pop out once frozen, then I can store in a ziploc
AprylLynn likes this.

January 18th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
Yup, like others I just use my food processor and an ice tray. I also pumped and mixed bm if I needed the food to be softer.

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13
January 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have some recipes for sweet potatoes, green beans, and carrots i can share. A lot of time whatever we were eating i would prep that for baby. So if we had Turkey meatloaf. Mashed sweet potatoes and green beans. DD would have the potato and beans. If i maid soup I'd puree it for her.
alittlelost likes this.
January 19th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I made food for my first and second, I used an immersion blender and froze them in 1oz portions in a silicone ice cube tray, they popped right out in perfectly portion cubes and I froze each type of cubes in it's own freezer bag and thinned it out as I warmed it if I thought it was too thick.

It was fun, but baby foods are messy! (Home made or store bought) so, with my 3rd I exclusively nursed her until she was ready for finger foods. At 8 months old she was eating a nectarine just out of hand. It was super easy to just give her foods that we were eating without mashing or anything. Some research suggests this type of feeding (called Baby Lead Weaning, which is a terrible name!) actually helps babies learn to better gauge and respond to their hunger as they grow up than the babies who are spoon fed until mom decides they're done. I don't know if that's true, she's only 1, but it was an interesting idea. I won't do purees with this baby, either, straight to soft finger foods, and I didn't do cereals with any of my kids.
alittlelost likes this.

Mom to four beautiful girls

Matilda (6), Evelyn (4), Adelaide (2), Cecily (11 months)

January 19th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Jen-

I did the baby food way with DS. And boy could that kid eat! Still can! But even after eating he will say he is still hungry. DD kinda weaned herself. At 9 months that child could eat a piece of pizza on her own! No teeth and was just chowing down on regular food. We fed her what we ate, and it helped a lot with her.
Jenilope likes this.
January 19th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Veteran
I did it with my first two and it is soooo easy. Check out the wholesomebabyfood site listed above. I didn't use any recipes. Just cook veggies and purée them in my full size food processor. I'd make a big batch, freeze it in ice cube trays, pop them out and store in quart freezer bags. You just pull out how ever many cubes you need and can mix up flavored then. We'd often eat that veggie for dinner whenever I made a batch of baby food. I also have a book called super baby food, but it makes it way to complicated. I just use if for a reference of how to best cook each veggie/fruit.
January 19th, 2013, 07:56 PM
FL Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I LOVE making my own baby food. I wouldn't recommend the Baby Bullet as it's a bit small. A regular blender or food processor works just as well and has a bigger capacity. I also used the ice cube tray method for freezing. It's so simple and easy.

IMO, this is the BEST book for info and techniques on making your own baby food - Super Baby Food. It lets you know good starter foods, how often to introduce new foods, foods to avoid and why, etc. Soooo full of great information.

Noah Joseph - 8/22/03
Jonah Thomas - 9/29/05
Patricia Carryl - Due 8/23/13

Missing my Heavenly Babies - 10/28/04 - 14wks & Baby Born Still - 10/18/11 - 17wks

Last edited by FL Mama; January 19th, 2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search