BV

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mrskfet
  • 1 Post By alittlelost
  • 1 Post By jam121184

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2013, 09:42 AM
Veteran
Anyone else have BV? Any ideas on how to naturally get rid of it?

I believe I have it, or something like, again with this pregnancy. I have an appt today at 4 to get tested.

The reason I ask, is because I had this last summer with my first pregnancy..took the antibiotics for a week, then two weeks later my water broke and we lost our baby at 14.5 weeks. I don't know if it was related to the infection or not..but not taking my chances.

I know one is probiotic yogurt, and i read online that lukewarm vinegar baths apparently help? How do you prevent BV?
January 23rd, 2013, 09:56 AM
soccermamatomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had it with my pregnancy with my twins. It was undiagnosed for a good month plus. By then I had gone into PTL at 22 weeks. Luckily with antibiotics I was able to get rid of it. The PTL continued though, but with bedrest they were born at 37 weeks.
Twin DDs: 14 yo
DS: 9yo
Step DD: 15yo
Step DD: 11yo
Rayna-August 18, 2013!
January 23rd, 2013, 10:22 AM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
This is so scary my doctor wants to put me on flagyl when I get into my 2nd tri but didnt tell me the reason why, just that I had a bacteria cultured in my pee. I've read that its used to treat BV and that fact that both of you had something happen worries me alot
EDD: Aug. 9th, 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 23rd, 2013, 11:00 AM
onemoremakesfour's Avatar ThreeBoys
I received a call on Monday that I had this too and picked up the antibiotic yesterday, but didn't take it yet since there were warnings for pregnant women. I was going to call them today asking questions. I have no idea the name of the antibiotic, but it said if you're allergic to penicillin not to use it.
January 23rd, 2013, 11:21 AM
Veteran
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you Try not to stress..but maybe take it just as a extra precaution to keep your little one safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskfet View Post
This is so scary my doctor wants to put me on flagyl when I get into my 2nd tri but didnt tell me the reason why, just that I had a bacteria cultured in my pee. I've read that its used to treat BV and that fact that both of you had something happen worries me alot
January 23rd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I know that BV is linked to pre-term labor, and I'm so sorry for your loss.

I had BV durring my 2nd pregnancy. It sometimes just happens in pregnancy and it is a tenacious infection that is difficult to treat and fully resolve.

It is often diagnosed with both a culture of the bacteria and a measure of vaginal pH because it requires a higher pH to survive (that's one of the earliest clues as to whether it is BV or Yeast because they can not survive together)

Yogurt/probiotics won't actually do anything. Yes, they can assist digestive health but they will not make it to your vagina and they will not change the pH of your vagina. I have no idea whether or not vinegar baths would help, I guess they could temporarily adjust the pH of the parts of your vagina that it touches, but you certainly wouldn't want to douche with it and it wouldn't get up high enough otherwise to "cure" the infection, if it were even possible for vinegar to cure the infection. The antibiotic (typically flagyl) is the most effective way to treat the infection and lower the risk to the baby. But, be prepared to have to take it over and over and over again during your pregnancy because, like I said, in pregnancy once it pops up, it is tenacious. I got tested every month for it in my 2nd pregnancy as a precautionary measure.

The symptoms, for anyone who doesn't know, typically include some degree or itching or burning (although that is not always noticed) There can be a change in the smell of your vagina, and there is typically greenish discharge. Also, there is some evidence that your partner can be infected or be a carrier and re-infect you durring sexual intercourse. If you are having trouble with recurring BV in your pregnancy you might want to ask you Dr. whether or not it would be useful to have you partner treated as well.

Good luck, I hope yours clears up and stays away and that you continue with a happy, healthy, full term pregnancy.

Mom to four beautiful girls

Matilda (6), Evelyn (4), Adelaide (2), Cecily (1)

January 23rd, 2013, 12:15 PM
MissCiara's Avatar It's A Girl!
I have had bv twice since being pregnant and i took flagyl at 4 weeks, had an ultrasound at 7 weeks, and everything looked great. There is a probiotic called fem dophilus which is specifically for vaginal health. It is the only thing that has kept me from having reoccurrences of bv. I take it in conjunction with the antibiotic and continue after treatment. Also my partners sperm elevates my pH, so we are currently using the pull out method.
January 23rd, 2013, 12:28 PM
Veteran

Last edited by angelbabiesmama; January 24th, 2013 at 07:41 AM.
January 23rd, 2013, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam121184 View Post
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to worry you Try not to stress..but maybe take it just as a extra precaution to keep your little one safe.
Its okay, its not your fault I've been somewhat anxious since the doctor told me they wanted to put me on flagyl without telling me the exact reason, this is just more proof that I need to call them and ask whats up. I dont have any symptoms of BV though so I honestly dont even know what they want to treat me for

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 23rd, 2013, 01:20 PM
onemoremakesfour's Avatar ThreeBoys
I went home and looked at what they gave me, it's a generic penicillin, but now I forgot the name. It was almost the same name as penicillin.

All I heard when she called me was there was bacteria when they tested my urine and I needed to take it. I have no symptoms of anything wrong. the warnings say if you're planning on becoming pregnant or are pregnant consult with your Dr about the risks or benefits of taking this medication. That tells me nothing.
January 23rd, 2013, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemoremakesfour View Post
I went home and looked at what they gave me, it's a generic penicillin, but now I forgot the name. It was almost the same name as penicillin.

All I heard when she called me was there was bacteria when they tested my urine and I needed to take it. I have no symptoms of anything wrong. the warnings say if you're planning on becoming pregnant or are pregnant consult with your Dr about the risks or benefits of taking this medication. That tells me nothing.
Thats what my nurse said to me too and I also have no symptoms!! The only difference is the medication. UGH how frustrating I guess we both need to talk to our doctors. I'm not comfortable taking any kind of antibiotics without knowing the EXACT reason and whether or not theres a safer alternative. Telling us that we cultured bacteria just isnt enough info IMO
onemoremakesfour likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 23rd, 2013, 02:46 PM
MissCiara's Avatar It's A Girl!
I never knew bv could be detected through urine. My doctor have always had to do a swab in order to diagnose it.
January 23rd, 2013, 03:35 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
treating it early is key. yes, probiotics help, but still go with what your doctor recommends. i had it with my first pregnancy.
MissCiara likes this.
January 24th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Veteran
Hey ladies! Thank you for your input. I had my appt yesterday at 2 with a doctor from Minneapolis who was filling in for a doctor who is out for a few weeks. She was great!!
Anyhow, she took a swab with a Qtip and looked at it right away under the microscope and confirmed it was a yeast infection not BV. What a sigh of relief! So she gave me a prescription for Monistat for 7 days. Hopefully it clears up quick
alittlelost likes this.
January 24th, 2013, 09:48 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hope you are all better soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search