poll: ultra sound options, need opinions *update

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Gender ultra sound because of insurance your only options are:
Go where its free but you had a bad experience 9 60.00%
Go to the tech who would make it special and goes above and beyond but is $175 out of pocket 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By cypressmama
  • 1 Post By JessKeller24
  • 1 Post By onemoremakesfour
  • 2 Post By Kayla_7602
  • 1 Post By Beachbabies
  • 1 Post By alittlelost

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2013, 10:01 PM
cypressmama's Avatar Super Mommy
Ok so I am trying to figure out what to do. For a gender/anatomy scan if you only have these two options, would you (A) go to a place where it was free (covered by insurance) but where you had a bad experience. Or (B) go to a precious tech who you love and goes the extra mile to make the experience special but is $175 out of pocket.
(those are my only two options cause of my mw/insurance situation..)

Please share with me what you would do
Side note, I could come up with the money but it would be tight..

************************************************** ***********************************

ok so I took ya'lls advice and called the ultrasound place with the bad experience.

I spoke with the office manager and told her about my experience and she told me that the tech no longer works there! She also apologized about the no pictures thing (the printer was broken so I didn't get pics)
and said that next time speak up and they will make sure I get pics.

so March 1st I will get my gender scan. If it doesn't go well I will go else where. I will have to pay 140 out of pocket but at least I will get reimbursed by my insurance so all is well.

Thank you so much for your impute ladies you were right Great advice.
PhD_Bound_Mommy likes this.

Last edited by cypressmama; January 24th, 2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Updated the info
January 23rd, 2013, 10:47 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
is both an option?? Im doing a pay out of pocket place for gender scan at 16 weeks then doing the one insurance pays for at 20 weeks because they do a ton of measurements and important stuff then, too.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
January 24th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Super Mommy
I was going to say both too, you may get the 'free' one and have a different tech and a completely different experience. If you go in with that frame of mind that if it doesn't go well at least you have the other appointment coming up. Maybe you could sched it for the next day or that one in the morning and the other in the afternoon, and if the first one goes well just cancel the other.

January 24th, 2013, 02:49 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd do the free, I have other things the $175 could go towards. But if I could afford it, if the free one went badly, I'd pay out of pocket too.
Ray88 likes this.

January 24th, 2013, 04:47 AM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
I would do both too-- if you have another bad experience you know you can go to the good place still.

But if both weren't an option, I would pay for one. This is a once in a lifetime experience- you can't get these memories back if someone messes them up for you. I would definitely spend the money to make sure the event was exactly how i'd like to remember it

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

January 24th, 2013, 05:22 AM
teeny0518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I vote both too! You may not have a bad experience this time so try out the free place first! If it's horrible, you can do the other one to get additional measurements, etc.

If you are REALLY concerned about making the big ultrasound a super special time, then pay for the $175 one, but really, it's mostly about just learning the gender right?

***Thanks to Vicki for my awesome signature!!!***

1st OB Appt: 01/02 (6w0d) - Pregnancy confirmed!
2nd OB Appt/Ultrasound: 01/14 (7w5d) - Baby's heart rate 131
3rd OB Appt: 02/11 (11w5d) - Baby's heart rate 166
4th OB Appt: 03/11 (15w5d) - Baby's heart rate 150
Elective Gender Scan: 03/16 (16w2d) - It's a GIRL!!!
5th OB Appt/Anatomy Scan: 04/08 (19w5d) - Baby's heart rate 155
6th OB Appt: 05/06 (23w5d)- Baby's heart rate 148
7th OB Appt/Glucose Test: 06/03 (27w5d) -Baby's heart rate 144, Passed Glucose Test!
8th OB Appt: 06/14 (29w2d) - Baby's heart rate 140
9th OB Appt: 06/24 (30w5d) - Baby's heart rate 135
3D/4D Ultrasound: 06/29 - She looks like her Daddy!
10th OB Appt: 07/10 (33w0d) - Baby's heart rate 131
11th OB Appt: 07/22 (34w5d) - Baby's heart rate 140
12th OB Appt: 08/05 (36w5d) - Baby's heart rate 136; 2.5 cm dilated/80% effaced!
13th OB Appt: 08/12 (37w5d) - Baby's heart rate 145; 3 cm dilated/80% effaced
14th OB Appt: 08/19
Induction Date: 08/21!!!!
January 24th, 2013, 08:16 AM
onemoremakesfour's Avatar ThreeBoys
How soon would you have to book the one that’ll cost?

I would definitely go to the free one!! You never know, you may have a completely different experience this time. If you’re happy with how they do the scan this time then you wouldn’t need to pay $175. If you’re unhappy again and have the funds to do the other one then I would schedule it the minute you left the free u/s.

Or schedule both – free one first – and cancel the one that’ll cost you if you are satisfied with how they did this time.
Tinky likes this.
January 24th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Kayla_7602's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would wait and see how the free one goes....knowing that if it goes badly I will pay for the good one! If that is an option. I will get a free one, but that's for all the important info making sure everything is developing right. They will not tell me anything about it (the tech) and the screen is always turned so it's hard to see. The only thing I will learn is after I go back to my midwife she will tell me if something is concerning. So because of that I will pay the $200 I have to pay out of pocket to find out the gender and get some pictures and a dvd for keepsakes.
Tinky and alittlelost like this.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for the awsome siggy!

January 24th, 2013, 08:46 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would do the free one but I am really cheap about stuff like this LOL! Maybe you will get a way better tech this time!! I would just rather spend the $175 on baby stuff

January 24th, 2013, 08:54 AM
soccermamatomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you can afford it, pay to have a good experience!
Twin DDs: 14 yo
DS: 9yo
Step DD: 15yo
Step DD: 11yo
Rayna-August 18, 2013!
January 24th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think you should try the free one, see how it goes, and then decide about the one that costs.
alittlelost likes this.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
January 24th, 2013, 09:50 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
here you can get a gender scan for 50-100$.

If money was tight for me, i would take what is free. I'd want that money to spend on baby items
Tinky likes this.
January 24th, 2013, 12:07 PM
annabelpolo's Avatar SAHMommy expecting #2
I also think you should do the free one first. If that experience is a bad one, then schedule for the out of pocket exam.

January 24th, 2013, 02:49 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
plus sometimes it's just a tech who makes it bad. might have a different tech this time. You can even call the office ahead of time and talk to an office manager and tell them you plan to come in, but you've been debating going somewhere else because you had a bad experience last time, and ask if they can get you a different tech this time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search