Must have & useless items...

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree16Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
my must haves:

swing that plugs in

receiving blankets

sleepers

socks

bouncy chair

changing table (as a c-section mom this is a must for me)

wrap

useless:

wipes warmer

baby hair brush kit

diaper genie

snugli/bjorn (these are horrible for mom & babe)

I'm allergic to the hospital panties. It sucks!!

when I had my first it was fine and I loved them. Then I go to have my second and the nurses are all "oh we changed the panties because so many mom's were allergic to the old ones" well thanks I'm allergic to the new ones.

I loved dealing with an itchy scratchy rash down there right after delivery.
I had to use diaper rash cream

January 24th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Regular
This is my 3rd baby, and somethings changed depending on the baby.

must have:

Lots of burping rags!

Video monitor-we used to just have the sound one then got the video one and it was so much better to be able to see the baby, not just hear them.

A really good breast pump. I invested in a medela double breast pump with my second baby and it was worth every penny, especially b/c I was working at the time. I am a SAHM now, but I am excited that I will be able to pump and store milk so if I want to go out or get a break and leave DH with the baby, I can. Best purchase ever.

My first son loved the swing, second son hated it!
First son loved pacifers, second son hated them! lol
First son loved the exersaucer, and second baby, yup, hated it! lol
So we are going to wait on all that stuff and decide later.

And we did have a diaper genie for my first son, then it broke and we didn't replace it, and did the diaper in a tied up shopping bag, and the garbage bag ect. Personally we thought it was annoying to head out to the garbage all the time and looked sloppy. To always have bags by the door or right out side the door. Especially when they are newborns they poop all the time and in the middle of the night. So we bought another diaper genie (II) for my second son. We have a half bathroom downstairs near the door where we keep it, and it looks much neater. We don't have an issue with smell unless we wait to change it for like a week. I use a deoderizer in there, and after each change (which we do about every other day) I spray the inside with arm n hammer deoderizing spray. I have no complaints and no issue with smell.

Useless:
The changing table, but if its your first, and you want one, get one. Its part of the nursery funiture

A wipes warmer - we bought one and realized it wasn't worth the purchase for us.
January 24th, 2013, 04:52 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wanted to add that bread bags are awesome for dirty diapers! Locks in the stink until it goes out! Also, with both my little girls, we had one of these things- one had a little light that went around on the ceiling, but that broke, the other one just lit up. Here's what they are like: My daughters used them until they were about two. When they woke up, they press it and go back to sleep, like magic!!
VTech Nighty Nite Nature Light Smart Response System - Walmart.com

January 24th, 2013, 06:44 PM
cypressmama's Avatar Super Mommy
My list is

must haves:

GOOD electric double breast pump (I have the medela pump in style and that thing saved me. It made my life so much easier cause I have carpel tunnel so there is no way I would have successfully pumped by hand.

Swaddle blankets with velcro: my kid could get out of ANY swaddle till we got the velcro blanket that thing worked wonders till she outgrew it length wise

Bouncer: It calmed her faster then anything else she slept in it a couple nights

bassinet: We loved having her in our room but not our bed for the first 4 months

Video monitor: it helped me sleep when she was in her room cause I could just roll over look at the monitor see she was ok and go back to sleep.

Depends disposable panties:
Call me crazy but I wore these things for 4 weeks post partum( Especially at night.)cause the bleeding is excessive and if I relied on just pads I would have ruined several panties. These though not sexy are nice cause you just chunk em. SO nice

Cheap Sleepers and onesies: For the first several months pretty much they just lay there and go through SO many outfits with blowouts and spit up. I would just keep her in onesies pretty much cause they are easier to change then multiple layers

Emergency kit for each car: It should contain at least 10 diapers a full pack of wipes, four outfit changes a pair of socks, bandaids, hand sanitizer, a blanket and possibly a shirt for you all in a bag of some sort. ( you will be surprised how often you leave without an important item. This will save you more often then you know)

NOT important:

Expensive swing: Keep the box and receipt of big ticket items cause we used her 300$ swing 4 times. She screamed within minutes every time. But I know a lot of people who couldn't have lived without it. Each child is different (if you do get a swing get one that plugs into the wall)

Expensive bottles: Unless your baby has serious colic or allergies or feeding issues the bottles like tommy tippy dr browns etc have a TON of parts that are a pain in the arse to clean and keep up with. And they are EXPENSIVE. Like 15 bucks a piece and unless you intend to wash and sterilize the bottle after every feeding you will want somewhere like 6-10 bottles.
We used the walmart brand bottles that are $1 a piece they are cute and work really well. She went back and forth between those bottles and my nipple just fine as early as a couple days old.

Changing table: An unnecessary space waster i.m.h.o.

a lot of fancy clothes: One or two outfits for pictures are awesome but most of the time you will want their little butts easy to access for quicker diaper changes so onesies work well

An expensive diaper bag: You can spend hundreds on diaper bags but carrying two bags became a pain in the butt. Unless you are leaving them somewhere like a nursery just get yourself a big cute purse and use it for both. Preferable with two large separated pockets. So you have the side for you and the side for the baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search