Must have & useless items...

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree16Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought this would be a good topic for our first time mommies and also for mommies who maybe haven't had a baby in a few years and aren't up to date on all the baby gadgets!

BTDT Mommas, post yours! And for our FTMs, feel free to ask questions about products you've been looking into if you'd like to know if any of us have used them!

My must haves:
Grace Sweetpeace swing: Oh my gosh, I loved this thing and so did DS! the seat is on a base and can be repositioned to fit the needs of your baby (the recline, the position, everything). It also rocks back and forth like a swing or side to side like mommy's arms. Chase always liked the side to side motion best. It was also a life saver when he had awful reflux and was choking at night-- doctor recommended letting him sleep in his carseat for a bit to help, but the incline on the swing was so much better and more comfortable for him. I could lay the seat back a good bit but he was still reclined enough to not choke.

Convertible car seat: Granted, we will get a regular infant carrier until about 6 months because it's just more convenient with a new baby. But the convertible was such a great thing to have because we do extended rear facing.

Swaddle blankets: Real, legit blankets! You can buy muslin ones in packs of 3 from babies r us. They are lightweight and breathable and a swaddled baby is a happy baby! You will never go wrong knowing how to swaddle the real way. Of course, some babies will only deal with it for the first few weeks or months, but my son loved it until he was too big to be swaddled. And I totally believe it's what helped him sleep through the night.

Video monitor: I actually have never had one but I KNOW it's a must have this time. I was the kind of momma that snuck in to check on him TOO MUCH. (Heck, I still do it sometimes! lol) A video monitor will be so much help. DH is researching them hardcore and so far he's decided to splurge on one that we can view from our iPhones.

BREAST PUMP: Again, I never had one. But I fully believe I would have been able to breastfeed had I had a pump to help me out at first when my supply wasn't coming in. Will not make that mistake again! (And remember: if you can't afford a pump you can rent one!)

Sleep gowns: DS was born in June so the air conditioning was on all the time his first few months. I loved the gowns because they kept him warm (since they can't have blankets), and in the middle of the night it made diaper changes SO easy!

Exersaucer: We didn't use it non-stop, but it was so helpful when I needed a bit of time to clean up the house or cook dinner! He loved it too, those little toys kept him occupied. And yes, I must admit, there were times when I would turn on Sesame Street or Blues Clues because the colors captivated him! lol

My useless list:
Changing table: We just did not ever find ourselves going to his bedroom to change him. It was so much easier to lay a towel on the touch and change him right there.

Pacifiers: He had zero interest in them. I wish I had only bought one to try and not bought a whole bunch because I thought they were cute and I also pre-planned for losing them.

Bottle warmer: We just never used this, period.

Shoes: Not only do they not need them, they actually recommend that babies who do not walk do not wear shoes at all because it can hinder their progress with learning to walk. My son was in physical therapy for over a year, and that was what the therapists told me when I brought him in once in shoes! Soft "leather" shoes like Robees are perfect though- keeps their feet warm in the cold and when they're trying to master walking, they're able to feel the ground under their feet.

Fancy baby tub: We used it at first but then once he could sit, we put him right in the big kitchen sink. This time around we will only get one of those soft foam things for the newborn to lay on while we wash.

Diaper genie: also known as "storer of awful smells," lol - It was just easier to bring the diapers to the outside trash can (or in colder weather, throw them into a plastic trash bag that was sealed up and taken out at the end of the night).

Velcroed swaddle "sacks"
: I'm talking about the kind where you basically put the baby in a pocket and then the blanket velcros over the front. Horrible, horrible things. Chase always busted out of them within minutes!

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

Last edited by Anchored; January 24th, 2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Added more
January 24th, 2013, 09:55 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Must haves:

A million burp cloths
Sleep gowns
Stretchy blankets for swaddling
Baby monitor (I'm fine with the non video variety but ymmv)
Bath sponge (the cheap kind that you can lay the baby on top of)
Nipple cream
Breast pads
Mesh underwear stolen from hospital
Dermoplast spray stolen from hospital
Nose sucker
Manual breast pump

Total waste:

Fancy swaddle blankets/wrap things
Diaper Genie
Boppy
Fancy clothes with lots of parts/steps/pieces AND tights for baby girls
Fancy infant bathtub
Bottle warmers (SO much easier to just set in warm water for a minute. DD2 didn't need hers heated at all)
Changing table

Hit or miss:

Swing
Bouncer
Anchored and cypressmama like this.

January 24th, 2013, 09:59 AM
I LOVED the Dermoplast! I used all the ones the hospital gave me and found more at Rite Aid! this time I will stock up BEFORE birth! hehe
mamalamb likes this.

*Thank you to

January 24th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Super Mommy
Must haves:

Water-proof mattress pads for crib (I would layer a pad, a fitted sheet, another pad, another sheet) so that when they pee through you can just peel a layer off.
A bajillion white onesies. It's what little babies truly live in.
Swing
Video monitor (I LOVE mine)

Wastes:
Teether toys. Any plastic toy worked fine, and some of the teething toys are ridiculously expensive!
A bouncer. DS hated his (but all babies are different)
Diaper Genie! Yuck
Billions of "nice" outfits for baby-they live in onesies or sleepers
Anchored likes this.
January 24th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Chase View Post
I LOVED the Dermoplast! I used all the ones the hospital gave me and found more at Rite Aid! this time I will stock up BEFORE birth! hehe
Yes I plan to have like 10 cans on hand Lol. And those mesh underwear, I seriously took like 15 pairs home last time and wore them exclusively for the first two weeks haha
Anchored likes this.

January 24th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Chase View Post
I thought this would be a good topic for our first time mommies and also for mommies who maybe haven't had a baby in a few years and aren't up to date on all the baby gadgets!

BTDT Mommas, post yours! And for our FTMs, feel free to ask questions about products you've been looking into if you'd like to know if any of us have used them!

My must haves:
Grace Sweetpeace swing: Oh my gosh, I loved this thing and so did DS! the seat is on a base and can be repositioned to fit the needs of your baby (the recline, the position, everything). It also rocks back and forth like a swing or side to side like mommy's arms. Chase always liked the side to side motion best. It was also a life saver when he had awful reflux and was choking at night-- doctor recommended letting him sleep in his carseat for a bit to help, but the incline on the swing was so much better and more comfortable for him. I could lay the seat back a good bit but he was still reclined enough to not choke.

Convertible car seat: Granted, we will get a regular infant carrier until about 6 months because it's just more convenient with a new baby. But the convertible was such a great thing to have because we do extended rear facing.

Swaddle blankets: Real, legit blankets! You can buy muslin ones in packs of 3 from babies r us. They are lightweight and breathable and a swaddled baby is a happy baby! You will never go wrong knowing how to swaddle the real way. Of course, some babies will only deal with it for the first few weeks or months, but my son loved it until he was too big to be swaddled. And I totally believe it's what helped him sleep through the night.

Video monitor: I actually have never had one but I KNOW it's a must have this time. I was the kind of momma that snuck in to check on him TOO MUCH. (Heck, I still do it sometimes! lol) A video monitor will be so much help. DH is researching them hardcore and so far he's decided to splurge on one that we can view from our iPhones.

BREAST PUMP: Again, I never had one. But I fully believe I would have been able to breastfeed had I had a pump to help me out at first when my supply wasn't coming in. Will not make that mistake again! (And remember: if you can't afford a pump you can rent one!)

Sleep gowns: DS was born in June so the air conditioning was on all the time his first few months. I loved the gowns because they kept him warm (since they can't have blankets), and in the middle of the night it made diaper changes SO easy!

My useless list:
Changing table: We just did not ever find ourselves going to his bedroom to change him. It was so much easier to lay a towel on the touch and change him right there.

Pacifiers: He had zero interest in them. I wish I had only bought one to try and not bought a whole bunch because I thought they were cute and I also pre-planned for losing them.

Bottle warmer: We just never used this, period.

Shoes: Not only do they not need them, they actually recommend that babies who do not walk do not wear shoes at all because it can hinder their progress with learning to walk. My son was in physical therapy for over a year, and that was what the therapists told me when I brought him in once in shoes! Soft "leather" shoes like Robees are perfect though- keeps their feet warm in the cold and when they're trying to master walking, they're able to feel the ground under their feet.

Fancy baby tub: We used it at first but then once he could sit, we put him right in the big kitchen sink. This time around we will only get one of those soft foam things for the newborn to lay on while we wash.

Diaper genie: also known as "storer of awful smells," lol - It was just easier to bring the diapers to the outside trash can (or in colder weather, throw them into a plastic trash bag that was sealed up and taken out at the end of the night).

Velcroed swaddle "sacks"
: I'm talking about the kind where you basically put the baby in a pocket and then the blanket velcros over the front. Horrible, horrible things. Chase always busted out of them within minutes!
I agree with everything except I LOVE the Velcro swaddling blankets They worked great for us & baby couldn't untangle from them easily like they could with blankets.
Anchored likes this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
January 24th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Hmmm maybe we used different brands! The ones we used definitely weren't too great at keeping him in there lol

I have a silly forgetful mom question... what's a bouncer? lol! Is that the little seat they recline in and it vibrates? Or is it an exersaucer? Or like a johnny jumper?

If it's the seat or the jumper, I totally agree!
The exersaucer was a blessing sometimes though-- I'm going to add it to my list! Lol

*Thank you to

January 24th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Fins's Avatar Super Mommy
great list! I'm taking notes.

from what I remember the changing table was a waste and just became a crap trap. The diaper genie was completely useless. My DD never liked the bouncy seat but loved the swing. She also didn't like the exersaucer until she got old enough to stand next to it and play with the toys.

must have (including what has already been mentioned by the others) is some sort of a white noise, noise maker! We had a CD but I've seen different gadgets for cribs that have white noise as well.
Anchored likes this.

January 24th, 2013, 11:01 AM
I totally agree with the white noise maker! For DS I kept a fan in his room, pointed away from him (lol sometimes it was pointed into his closet!), it was pretty awesome because he learned to sleep through noises.

*Thank you to

January 24th, 2013, 11:21 AM
FL Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I pretty much agree with everything that's been stated, except for the changing table. I LOVED mine and used it for every change (except when out, of course).

I also agree that a white noise maker is a must. DH and I have one in our room, so we have always used one for our kids, too. It especially helps if you have other kids running around making noise while the baby is sleeping. We use Honeywell air filters, but will also use a box fan in a pinch.

Noah Joseph - 8/22/03
Jonah Thomas - 9/29/05
Patricia Carryl - Due 8/23/13

Missing my Heavenly Babies - 10/28/04 - 14wks & Baby Born Still - 10/18/11 - 17wks

January 24th, 2013, 12:45 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
some women are listing things as useless that I think are priceless!!

Boppy- LOVE them and have to have it for comfortable breast feeding
Bouncer w/ vibration- lifesaver SO many times, my girls would only fall asleep sometimes in it and no other way.These are the ones that you can "bounce" with your foot, you strap them in there and bounce away!
cloth diapers for burp rags
Lots of onesies!
swaddling blanket and good fitting hat

Changing table- agree it's a waste, I use a table that we have for the back of our couch and put a pad on it. Works fine- and it's in the center of the room and easy to get to.
breastbump/pacifiers both my little girls would NOT take a bottle or pacifier. It was me or nothing the first year.

January 24th, 2013, 12:45 PM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
I have so much to learn!

Whats the difference between a convertible car seat and an infant car seat? Is a white noise machine just something that makes noises? I'm getting some scary visuals because I think theres a ghost movie called white noise Dermoplast and mesh underwear? lol I know what underwear are but why are the mesh ones so good?
teeny0518 likes this.
EDD: Aug. 9th, 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 24th, 2013, 12:55 PM
annabelpolo's Avatar SAHMommy expecting #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskfet View Post
I have so much to learn!

Whats the difference between a convertible car seat and an infant car seat? Is a white noise machine just something that makes noises? I'm getting some scary visuals because I think theres a ghost movie called white noise Dermoplast and mesh underwear? lol I know what underwear are but why are the mesh ones so good?
Infant car seat is the one that comes with the base. The base always stays in the car and you just detach the car seat with baby in it and carry it wherever you need to go.
Convertible car seat always stays in the car and you just take baby out whenever your going somewhere.
Besides that, infant car seats usually have a weight limit of 35-40 pounds. Convertible car seats can go up to 100 pounds.

I always buy the infant car seat just because its better to have an undisturbed sleeping baby in the car seat than carrying a crying fussy baby. Once baby outgrows the infant car seat, then you switch over to the convertible. Some mommies go straight to a convertible car seat because they wear baby instead of carrying around the infant car seat. I hope that helps!
teeny0518 and mrskfet like this.

January 24th, 2013, 01:01 PM
annabelpolo's Avatar SAHMommy expecting #2
Must Have:
Boppy
Swing
Bottle Sterilizer
Lots of onesies
Lots and lots of burp cloths
My Pal Violet - DD has had hers since she was 6 months and it has an option to play bedtime music and I loaded classical on it. To this day, she has to have violet to go to bed.

Waste of $$
Shoes
Wipe Warmer - especially the one you put the pad in. that thing always burned because I forgot to fill it with water.
Changing Table
Clothing with a lot of parts to it

January 24th, 2013, 01:04 PM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabelpolo View Post
Infant car seat is the one that comes with the base. The base always stays in the car and you just detach the car seat with baby in it and carry it wherever you need to go.
Convertible car seat always stays in the car and you just take baby out whenever your going somewhere.
Besides that, infant car seats usually have a weight limit of 35-40 pounds. Convertible car seats can go up to 100 pounds.

I always buy the infant car seat just because its better to have an undisturbed sleeping baby in the car seat than carrying a crying fussy baby. Once baby outgrows the infant car seat, then you switch over to the convertible. Some mommies go straight to a convertible car seat because they wear baby instead of carrying around the infant car seat. I hope that helps!
This helps alot, thank you!
annabelpolo likes this.
EDD: Aug. 9th, 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 24th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskfet View Post
I have so much to learn!

Dermoplast is this AMAZINNNNNG pain relief spray they will give you to spray on your girly bits after delivery! I tore pretty decently with DS, but I'm pretty sure they give it to you regardless of tears or episiotomies. That stuff is AMAZING. Numbs you up a bit, takes the sting out. I was actually afraid to use it because the thought of spraying anything on THAT area just seemed like a bad idea to me lol

The mesh underwear are... pretty funny actually. They are GIGANTIC and they hold a HUGE pad. And trust me, you want both! Things are pretty messy down there for a bit lol I didn't wear real underwear for awhile afterwards-I was terrified of ruining them all.
These are what they basically look like:

(image from google! haha)

And a white noise machine usually has different sound options- like beach/waves, birds, rainforest, etc. It's all meant to be soothing
mamalamb likes this.

*Thank you to

January 24th, 2013, 01:22 PM
teeny0518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to say this thread is amazing, especially for first time moms like me!!!!!! Thank you!

And also...why is the diaper genie a waste!??! What do you do with poopy diapers?!?
Anchored likes this.

Last edited by teeny0518; January 24th, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
January 24th, 2013, 01:37 PM
Jhendrickson's Avatar Veteran
Ha! Those underwear are hilarious, but I totally see what the need would be. All of this is great info--I'm a first-time mom and find myself just wanting everything for baby, as who knows what will and won't work!
Anchored likes this.
January 24th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeny0518 View Post
Just wanted to say this thread is amazing, especially for first time moms like me!!!!!! Thank you!

And also...why is the diaper genie a waste!??! What do you do with poopy diapers?!?
Basically it's an overpriced garbage can! lol It kind of "locks in" the odor, but as soon as you open it- its THERE. And it's bad. And it never goes away! lol
As long as the weather is decent, I take diapers right out to the big trashcan in our backyard. If the weather isn't so nice, we throw diapers in a big kitchen trash bag and tie it up. We just add the diapers to it throughout the day and at the end take it out (so there's only one trip outside in the yuck lol)

(and I should note: when we had to do the trashbag inside thing, it never smelled any worse than the dang diaper genie! We just keep the bag right next to the back door)
mamalamb and onemoremakesfour like this.

*Thank you to

January 24th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Oh they also give you (at least at my hospital) baby diapers (lol) with ice packs in them (for your lady bits) and they are AMAZING. You can put them right inside the mesh underwear and they work better than any other ice pack I tried, plus they are absorbant I usually talk the nurse into sending some home with me!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search