How do you switch OB's?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By PhD_Bound_Mommy
  • 1 Post By PhD_Bound_Mommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
My mom and I have been talking and we think it may be best for me to switch OB's. I've never felt that my current one cares about me as a patient and my mom is starting to feel the same way. In fact, she's the one being more persistent than I am lol I dont mind switching, but I just dont know how to go about it. Do I just schedule an appointment to see if I like them? What do I say to my current OB? I've never switched doctors before so I dont really know how this whole process works :/
EDD: Aug. 9th, 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 24th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Normally when you switch doctors, you need to call and make sure they are accepting new patients as well as your insurance. Once you do that, you can schedule to talk to the doctor and see what their practice is like, and based off of that sort of "interview" decide if you want to continue with that office. If you do, you will call your old office and let them know you are switching physicians and you need your records sent to the new office.
Beachbabies, Anchored and mrskfet like this.
January 24th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to previous poster. I just wanted to add that every insurance company handles switching differently so I would call your insurance company first to see what you need to do and find out if they cover you for the specific ob you want. If you don't know they can probably give you a list (or link to a list) of OB's in your area.

I'm sorry you feel that way about your current OB I think you are making a good choice. I switched during my last pregnancy and it was a great decision.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
January 24th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Will either place want a reason for my choosing to leave my current OB? I have a general idea of how the new office is ran because before I went with my current doctor I was inquiring about it. It sounds amazing and I actually get to CHOOSE one of 5 doctors (after having appointments with them all) to deliver my baby. My current OB office wouldnt let me switch to another doctor within that facility :/

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 24th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Typically they don't ask. It's like asking for a second opinion on something. They can't deny you from doing it, and you are the one in control of your care.
mrskfet likes this.
January 24th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Thank you! This makes me feel so much better

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 24th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
NP Glad to help
January 24th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My company did ask, but it was more for their information, not to approve or deny it. They wanted to know why I wanted to switch and I said I felt like the OB was not very personal and didn't care much about my complicated pregnancy. I think they recorded it somewhere and that was that.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
January 24th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Veteran
Find one covered by your insurance (talk to other moms if you can to get a recommendation) then schedule an appt to just talk to the OB (once you've verified they are accepting new patients). Go in and interview him/her. If you like him/her, schedule your next on visit and call your old OB to cancel your next appt and get your records transferred. I know our insurance has some rule about switching OB's after a certain point in your pregnancy so better sooner than later (though I switched 3rd trimester with my 2nd).
Elli (age 4)
miscarriage Sept 09
Audrey (age 2)
miscarriage Aug 12
Baby #4 - BOY!!! - due Aug 31, 2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search