Overweight & Pregnant

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 28th, 2013, 01:31 PM
KeLLiC09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At my appt. last week, my doctor told me that I can't gain any weight this pregnancy and its been bugging me since! How do you control your eating when it feels like you're hungry all the time? Okay, not all the time. And I can't get out to go walking because its freezing outside and I've been sick. Winter time I ain't weight because you can't do much. I start back to work tomorrow, 2 days a week, but it's a decent walk from the parking lot to work. I won't be able to eat all the time and I've picked up healthier food. I guess I just get bored and I eat.
and Mason Jacob born 08.12.13

January 28th, 2013, 01:49 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Considering I am overweight and had GD with my youngest, I am already trying to watch what I eat. Trying to get in more salads and fruits and cutting down on sweets and carbs. I've had in the past the mentality of "I'm pregnant, I can eat what I want" but that has definitely back fired on me. I think I might have gained 3 lbs so far, it's hard to tell because I get "backed up" real easy! I was hoping to not gain any weight or only like 10 lbs. I can't afford to gain much more than that at 5'3 and starting at 164.

I'm trying to work out everyday or every other day, it's horrible weather too, but I bought a treadmill last year for that-

I have a history of pcos too, but I mostly maintain it with diet. Low carb, high protein is what helps! It stops the cravings also.
KeLLiC09 likes this.

Last edited by mirdeemrlvs; January 28th, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
January 28th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Myfitnesspal is my to go app. It keeps track of everything you eat and can tell you how you're doing calorie wise.
jam121184 and KeLLiC09 like this.

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

January 28th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I started out overweight and have been advised not to gain anything. And being on bed rest makes it even harder. I do limit a lot of my calories, drink a lot of water, and try not to eat sweets. I'm down 6 pounds but that is probably mostly from the severe m/s.
January 28th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirdeemrlvs View Post
Considering I am overweight and had GD with my youngest, I am already trying to watch what I eat. Trying to get in more salads and fruits and cutting down on sweets and carbs. I've had in the past the mentality of "I'm pregnant, I can eat what I want" but that has definitely back fired on me. I think I might have gained 3 lbs so far, it's hard to tell because I get "backed up" real easy! I was hoping to not gain any weight or only like 10 lbs. I can't afford to gain much more than that at 5'3 and starting at 164.

I'm trying to work out everyday or every other day, it's horrible weather too, but I bought a treadmill last year for that-

I have a history of pcos too, but I mostly maintain it with diet. Low carb, high protein is what helps! It stops the cravings also.
I have PCOS as well so that doesn't help either with the weight. And it's all in my belly. I try and snack on fruits and veggies but I'm craving sweets this pregnancy.

January 28th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Regular
I was told to try and limit my weight gain to under 20 lbs (I'm starting out at 6'0 and 310 lbs). I don't understand how you're not supposed to gain any weight by the end, considering that the baby itself will weigh a fair amount by the end. You'd actually have to lose weight to maintain your current weight, and I don't think that's a great idea for pregnancy.

I know what to do--exercise, avoid sweets and junk. Have I been doing it? No. But I've definitely moderated my intake and I've been trying to make healthier choices. I've gained about 5 lbs in the first trimester, so I'll have to start being more careful, but I'm not going to stress about it. I find that that just makes me want to binge, and then I gain far more than if I just moderated what I eat.
KeLLiC09 likes this.

[/url]
January 28th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Super Mommy
I'm overweight too I've gained 20 lbs over that last few years so I'm started this pregnancy at what I was when I gave birth. I've been really sick too- today being the first day I feel decent- BUT I have a gym membership that I will be using again hopefully by the latest next week! I really try to only eat goodish stuff and smaller portions. If I'm hungry again shortly after I eat a small amount again. It's going to be hard but I'm hoping not to gain much

January 28th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
My OB hasn't said a word about weight, what to gain or not gain, etc...

My midwife is worried because I haven't gained anything yet

WIC wants me to gain less than 20 lbs total.

It's so weird to me how there are no real standards for this sort of thing!! I have PCOS as well and have always been heavy, though, this pregnancy I started out at my lowest weight since high school, so that's cool. But even with my others I have never been told much about weight gain. My midwives have all been happy with what I've put on.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 28th, 2013, 04:07 PM
AprylLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im overweight and was told not to gain any more than 10 lbs. For now that is easy since my m/s is awful but once Im feeling better and actually able to eat Im hoping to not gain more then the 10 lbs.

Visit my blog:http://adventuresofamom.blog.com/
January 28th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Veteran
I am really trying to be more careful. Last pregnancy I gained 60 pounds! This time I am starting out 20 lbs heavier though. Errr. So far I have gained a pound or two, so I am feeling good about that. My midwife seems to be happy so far. She said by 20 weeks I should gain about 10 lbs. I hate starting out pregnancy heavy! Errr.
January 28th, 2013, 06:48 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthysb View Post
I am really trying to be more careful. Last pregnancy I gained 60 pounds! This time I am starting out 20 lbs heavier though. Errr. So far I have gained a pound or two, so I am feeling good about that. My midwife seems to be happy so far. She said by 20 weeks I should gain about 10 lbs. I hate starting out pregnancy heavy! Errr.
I know what you mean! I am so thankful for the 15 lbs I lost this summer. I was aiming for 30lbs by December (happens to be the month I got pregnant) but, I'm happy I atleast lost 15. I have gained 60lbs with a couple of my kids, but this time I am starting out the heaviest I have ever been!

January 28th, 2013, 07:23 PM
carolinashore's Avatar Veteran
I'm overweight also (also have PCOS), but my doctor hasn't said anything about what I should or shouldn't gain. I gained 53lbs with my first, 30something with my 2nd. I'm starting this pregnancy at the weight I was with my 2nd, which was 20lbs heavier than my first. I've been trying to eat as healthy as possible, drinking lots of water. I'd really like to not gain more than 20lbs.

The one thing my OB did tell me was to avoid any food that offers more than 10% of anything for anything other than fiber, protein or the nutrients (vitamins, folate, etc). So that has helped me to figure out some of what's ok, and what I shouldn't eat.

For exercise, I'm planning to start once I get over whatever this funk is that I've been battling for 2 weeks. I have a FitBit for a pedometer, and use the MyFitnessPal app.

January 29th, 2013, 04:38 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
NO weight at all!? Ack! I wouldn't be able to handle that!!

I am overweight too (PCOS), I am 5'7" and weigh 200 right now... Ob told me to gain no more than 25 lbs. I am hoping my weight gain is similar to when I was preg with Chase because I started at 180 and ended at 202 (22 lbs)... so far i'm down a pound lol

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

January 29th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i'm overweight as well. i lost 45lbs before getting pregnant. i was supposed to lose another 30lbs but after ttc for 2 yrs finally getting pregnant was a blessing and i'm glad i lost the weight i did, it definately helped my joint pain lessen. i'm 215, i gained 10lbs and i'm almost 11 weeks, i'm hoping i only gain another 10 for the next 29 weeks b/c anything more would be bad for my joints, i get joint pain and i have arthrtius in my joints.

January 29th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
My first pregnancy, I was 5'8" and 217 to start. I ended up 199 at delivery due to morning sickness lasting past 22 weeks and just never really getting an appetite.

Pregnancy 2 I was 185 when I started and 194 at delivery. Again, bad MS and never really got much of an appetite.

Pregnancy 3 I was 195 at the beginning and 162 at delivery. I had a LOT of complications with that pregnancy that resulted in the extreme weight loss and it was actually a big concern for my OB.

My OB has NEVER told me to gain nothing, in fact, he's been more stressed about not losing more than 15% of your body weight during the pregnancy, but I've had some unusual pregnancies, weight-wise.

I know that the newest medical research says that those of us who are classified as obese via BMI calculations can safely gain nothing during their pregnancy (which actually works out to losing about 20 lbs over the 40 weeks, which you would do if you just at your normal weight-sustaining amount of calories every day because the pregnancy burns the extra calories for you.)

I think that, in general, too big a deal is made of weight during pregnancy. My SIL's OB turns the scale around so she doesn't see the numbers and I think that's a nicer way to do it. Yes, extreme sudden weight gain can warn Dr.s of conditions like pre-eclampsia, but, there aren't substantial links between mother's weight and GD, and, while working out and being strong and fit should help you have an easier delivery, that's your business, as is how much you want (or don't want) to lose after baby is born.

I would just try to make healthy choices (or at least not too many indulgent ones) get your body moving a little bit and try not to worry about it. And tell your OB to back off if she's getting too aggressive about it.

January 29th, 2013, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Chase View Post
NO weight at all!? Ack! I wouldn't be able to handle that!!

I am overweight too (PCOS), I am 5'7" and weigh 200 right now... Ob told me to gain no more than 25 lbs. I am hoping my weight gain is similar to when I was preg with Chase because I started at 180 and ended at 202 (22 lbs)... so far i'm down a pound lol
I'm 5'5" and weigh *gulp* 239lbs I was losing weight before getting pregnant but now I'm scared to lose weight. I'm trying to eat better.

January 29th, 2013, 09:05 AM
mommy2skyty's Avatar Super Mommy
I feel like soo much pressure is put on those of us who are a little chubby! I have always been a little chubby and everytime I was pregnant I was told not to gain more than 20 pounds. Both times I gained 20 pounds and lost it, but then started gaining it back again! I lost 10 pounds before getting pregnant when I had my IUD removed and the stupid scale at the doctors office was like 5 pounds off. I told the nurse what I weighed at home and she looked at me funny. I wish I was one of those ladies who didn"t have to worry about weight and just enjoy my pregnancy. I have a friend who is really thin and just got a baby bump and didn't gain weight anywhere else but still gained like 30 pounds but lost it right away- soo jealous, ha ha!
KeLLiC09 likes this.

Skyla Helen- Feb 2nd, 2008
Tyler Lyman- Sep 6th, 2009

Quinn Kayden- Aug 17th, 2013

My kids are growing up soo fast!
January 29th, 2013, 09:12 AM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started out overweight (with my BMI I am actually technically considered obese but I do not look as heavy as I am, nowhere near it really, I carry weight well for a short person). But I lost about 20 lbs from morning sickness (severe nausea and vomiting) back in December and am still down abot 13 lbs right now, which has my doctor more concerned than my initial weight ever did. I have never even been talked to about the appropriate amount of weight to gain this pregnancy (though I know it is low, which is not really an issue for me since I am craving mostly fruits, smoothies, salads, ect; though I do eat some junk here and there still). I think it is absurd to say you cant gain *any* weight, you would have to continue to loose weight which is not really healthy for you or your baby (unless it is from changing your eating habits and you are stilll getting all the necessary calories). I would just try to maintain healthier snacks, snacks are what *always* gets me. So I got granola bars. They have some delicious granola bars that have chocolate chips but are still low in calories and I really enjoy breakfeast bars with fruit inside. I hope you are able to find a good medium for yourself :-)

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

January 29th, 2013, 09:15 AM
The problem is, is the PCOS doesn't help with the weight gain. And my doctor is aware of that. I mean, basically it's just she doesn't want me gaining a lot of weight. I only gained 21 lbs when I was pregnant with Nate. When I first found out I was pregnant, I was losing weight. I was down like 7 lbs. I've only gained 2 lbs and that was from the start of the pregnancy to last Thursday.

January 29th, 2013, 10:22 AM
miniRazz's Avatar <3 my rainbow baby
I'm quite overweight as well, my ob even had to "make me taller" so I could deliver at the hospital that I want to cause with my 5'3" height I was over the BMI to deliver at that hospital. She doesn't understand why the anesthesiologist has an issue with BMI for pregnant women since they do surgeries for any BMI that is not pregnancy related.

Thankfully she has not mentioned about how much a should or shouldn't be gaining. I'm eating as healthy as possible (except when SO brings home treats to make the pregnant lady happy lol) and I eat small snack size meals cause that is the only thing that makes me feel better with the MS. I'm finding fruit and dried fruit satisfy my "sweets" craving
KeLLiC09 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search