Moms with other kiddos...

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2013, 04:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Are you still regularly picking your other kiddos up or are you trying to limit it now? Have any of your kids accidentally jumped on you or anything that has made you nervous?

I still pick up my kids, Cole especially because he's a baby and needs/loves to be held. I hold Chase too, but not as much.

Chase likes rough housing and has gotten a little rough with me...he plopped on my belly the other day and it worried me a bit. We've had to tell him that he can only wrestle with daddy and other family members until the baby comes.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
January 29th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My DS just does not get that he can't jump on mommy. He's constantly rough with me. DD I still pick up. She's my baby, I can't not pick her up.
January 29th, 2013, 04:31 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm trying to avoid it but it's hard, especially with the 2YO. Mine are both pretty petite (about 27 and about 39 pounds) but still...

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how much you can lift?

January 29th, 2013, 04:37 PM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't pick my oldest up if I tried, he's 72 lbs, haha. My daughter I can't either, she's 55 lbs. my youngest I usually get stuck caring him to bed because daddy falls asleep on the couch and so does Javier, he's 40 lbs, and that's the only time a pick him up, and its not everyday.

January 29th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Super Mommy
My peanut is only 20lbs so I haven't thought about it yet. Although I did switch her Gymnastics class to evening because I already sweat in her class directing her around without holding/wearing the LO I babysitt. She also spits up a lot so I have been avoiding the carrier.

January 29th, 2013, 05:02 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I still pick up my kids and hold them. The heaviest are about 40lbs (3 and 4 year olds weigh the same, lol)

I figure as long as it doesn't hurt, and I'm used to it, it's ok. Now, I have cut down on things like carrying them up the stairs--I worry about my balance and, frankly, I'm tired, DH can do that.

I don't worry about the baby when we rough house, especially when they're so small, they are so protected, but *I* am more easily hurt so I've encouraged them to ease up on me and take it to each other or Daddy if they want to wrestle. Later, when baby gets much bigger, I'll probably worry more about bangs and bumps and get a little more strict with them.

We haven't told them yet that we're expecting so, aside from "Mommy is tired/sick/sore" I haven't set baby-related rules.

January 29th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Chase is constantly asking me to pick him up... I try my hardest not to and only have on a few occasions but I have to pick him up to get him into the van because it's too high of a climb for him. We're going to work on him getting up there himself soon though

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

January 29th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The doctor said I'm not supposed to but I can't help it, he can't walk or anything. He doesn't weigh much. Sometimes he kicks me when he's nursing, so I try to be careful.

January 29th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Diamond2009's Avatar Boss Mama
I pick up my 30 lbs 3 year old occasionally but thats it. Sometimes she will jump on me and i'll protect my stomach and ask her to be careful
Forever in our hearts
Lauren born sleeping July 5th 2012 at 18 weeks
Boo Boo's heart stopped beating at 13 weeks D&C Feb 2013
Miscarriage at 8 weeks 1 day November 27 2014

January 29th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Veteran
I don't pick up my five year old anymore, which is good because he is 60 something pounds. We still cuddle on the couch or laying with him in his bed. If he did fall asleep in the car at night and I needed to bring him inside I would make my boyfriend do it now. However, I work in childcare and haven't told anyone I'm expecting, and even if I did I would still have to pick kids up all the time. Some of them way alot too! We actually transport a lot of the kids so I am constantly getting them in and out of a big huge van. When I asked my midwife she said, generally they suggest that you avoid picking up things heavier then about 35 lbs, but if I am used to doing it then it should be fine. She said really the concern isn't for the baby, but for person who is pregnant, since you are more likely to strain your back. I feel fine so I should be fine! Sometimes the kids are rough too--just today a girl came up a kinda hit me in the tummy. She was just trying to tell me she wanted to play with me, but obviously the wrong way. That makes me a little nervous but I know a ton of people have been in my position and been pregnant so I think it is all fine!
January 29th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I still pick our up pretty often, but we have told them I can't wrestle anymore and they've been pretty good about it. They pretty much attack daddy when he gets home because they've been stuck with just wrestling each other all day.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

January 29th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
The older two are pretty much not interested in being picked up anyway. But Kya is a total mommy's girl and wants held all the time. I'm trying to limit it, but it's hard.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 29th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
I still pick up the baby all the time. hes 2 and weighs about 33 pounds. The 3 1/2 year old I pick up now and again. he weighs 41 pounds. I have to pick up the 5 year old more often than I'd like. hes just over 60 pounds but he is also special needs and he just can't do some things even though he is my biggest little. (IE get on the bed, in the van etc.) He has a lot of trouble negotiating the stairs and has almost pulled me down losing his balance, jerking me off balance as well. I don't see a way not to pick him up.

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13
January 29th, 2013, 10:53 PM
annabelpolo's Avatar SAHMommy expecting #2
DD is 3 and weighs 37 pounds so I have been telling her since I found out I was pregnant that I cant carry her anymore. Sometimes she forgets and she'll ask me to carry her so I just remind her I cant because of the baby in my belly. We dont rough house at all but when we are all laying in bed together she loves to jump so I have to tell her to quit jumping or to jump on the other side of the bed.

January 30th, 2013, 05:49 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I still pick up my little ones. Of course I still go to work and pick up/move boxes that are sometimes between 70-150 lbs.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
January 30th, 2013, 07:23 AM
AprylLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine are 33 and 34 pounds so not to heavy. they both always want to be held and cuddled i can't say no. Alyssa is very rough with me. She is always digging her"elmo" into my boobs and belly. It hurts. She doesn't realize she is doing it though

Visit my blog:http://adventuresofamom.blog.com/
January 30th, 2013, 08:49 AM
onemoremakesfour's Avatar ThreeBoys
I still pick up my 5 year old who is 40lbs. We even get crazy dancing and doing tumbles some nights! He loves that

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search