Anyone starting/taking progesterone?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I'll be 15 weeks on Friday. At 16 weeks, I'll be starting progesterone to hopefully (fingers crossed!!!) prevent another preterm birth. With my first child, I went into labor at 31 weeks and delivered at 32. I was curious if any of you are in the same boat? Or have taken progesterone to prevent preterm labor before, and if so, was it effective? Are you doing the vaginal insert, or the shot? I only have a week to make up my mind, and I'm still really unsure. Both my high-risk OB and my regular OB say there are equally effective. But I have read a lot of contradicting information regarding ease of use/administering, pain, expense, recommendations, etc. I'm scared to make the wrong choice. Oh, and I'll also be starting cervical length checks every 2 weeks, starting at 16 weeks too. I guess I'm just looking for some thoughts on the whole preventing preterm labor battle... any input/reassurance would be appreciated! Thanks! :-)
February 5th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Super Mommy
I am taking progesterone suppostitories 200 3 times a day. Mine is to support my pg til placenta takes over. I will be weaning off very soon. Sorry I can't be more help. I am sure someone here will have some advice. As far as the suppository as a choice it's not too bad. A little messy but managable if I can sit or lay down for an hour after.
February 5th, 2013, 02:50 PM
soccermamatomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am on suppositories now 200mg twice a day. I HATE the suppositories because they leak.

I also took PIO shots (progesterone in oil) when I did my IVF cycles. Those sucked too. The injections were given on my butt and DH had to do them because I couldn't see what I was doing. They hurt, but it was less messy than the suppositories.

Which do I prefer? They both have their pros/cons. If you don't miss the messy, I say go for the suppositories. BTW, they are way cheaper than the PIO which wasn't covered by my insurance, but the suppositories were.
Twin DDs: 14 yo
DS: 9yo
Step DD: 15yo
Step DD: 11yo
Rayna-August 18, 2013!
February 5th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am also on Progesterone- I was on 200mg 3x per day from 5 weeks until 12 weeks. We started the weaning process last week and I'm currently down to 1 pill per day...

I don't think I am going to be put back on to prevent pre-term but I wish you luck!

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

February 5th, 2013, 04:31 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
it was a plan of action for my last baby but I didn't need them and didn't have preterm labor at all for the first time of my four pregnancies.

February 6th, 2013, 05:23 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
I would choose PIO over the vaginal suppositories but thats because I found them to be absolutely foul, the discharge & what not. But the suppositories are easier to do. I would just choose whatever is cheaper. I can't imagine that many weeks of PIO injections though. I was on them for 13 weeks and my sides are still healing from all those injections LOL

February 6th, 2013, 08:28 AM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
Hi there, popping in from the June DDC.

I am on the weekly shots myself, i started them at 16 weeks and I just took my
5th shot. They are not really that painful (and I am HUGE baby, lol). I do have a few side effects from them such as headaches (but I am also a migraine sufferer, so it could just be that), get very hot right after getting the shot and it will make you sleepy constantly. I asked my doc why in the 2nd trimester did I not have this burst of energy everybody talked about (my last pregnancy was 9 years ago so I don't remember that much) and he said pregoesterone makes you very sleepy.

But I am crossing my fingers it works because last baby was at 33 weeks and I really want to bake this cookie till it's fully done

Good luck on whatever choice you make.

~Kristin~
February 6th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am from April DDC. I have been on progesterone shots since 16 weeks. I have no trouble with the shots. I will see that occasionally they itch. But not too bad. It's a small price to pay though, so I am feeling ok about it. The only problem is that I've had trouble getting the insurance to cover it. I had to pay for them up front and then submit a claim. The claim isn;t being accepted at this point because I don't have the NDC # for the medicine. Big headache!
February 6th, 2013, 05:39 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Popping in also from the June DDC. I have been doing the PIO injections once a week since 14 weeks. They do hurt for me... and I have a lot of itching in the spot where my DH injected it. I also have to pay for my shots out of pocket because my insurance doesn't cover it. Mine come to about 10 bucks a shot.

I have never tried the suppository type... so I can't really tell you which one I prefer.

But on a positive note, they seemed to really help. My first pregnancy I ended up delivering at 24 weeks. With my second, I did the shots and made it all the way to 38. This time around, I can feel myself getting a lot of BH and cramping but after doing the shot, I can tell things are calmer and there is a lot less contractions. So as much as they suck, they seem to work for me!

Good luck to you.

February 6th, 2013, 06:55 PM
Fins's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm on the vag inserts once at night time. I'm supposed to wean off of them in a few weeks though.

February 6th, 2013, 07:10 PM
tparum's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to tparum Send a message via Yahoo to tparum
I was on the progestrion pills with my dd

Allways Remembering our Angels
Angelina Marie 08-02-99,William Dewayne 02-08-01,Thomas Ray 07-30-02 and BabyBean 02-22-08 and BabyBean 03/02/2012

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search