For those who have had a missed misscarriage

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Diamond2009's Avatar Boss Mama
Did you do D&C, Pass Naturally or take the pills. I cant believe i need to make this decision but in reality i do Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you so much
February 6th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't had a miscarriage, but because of SPPH I have had to undergo two emergency D&C's and I would recommend that route. I would like to just have it done and get it over and make sure that everything is extracted instead of prolonging it.
February 6th, 2013, 12:37 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you mean a blighted ovum? I didn't take or do anything, I must have passed naturally. So sorry you have to go through this!!!

Last edited by mirdeemrlvs; February 6th, 2013 at 01:33 PM.
February 6th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Mommy of 3
My sister had one a few years ago at 12 weeks and she took some pills. A friend had the same thing happen and she opted for the d&c.
I think if it was me I'd take the pills but it's definitely not an easy decision.

I'm so sorry you're going through this
February 6th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
I'm so sorry you even have to think about this mess.

My first one I took the pills, my second I let pass naturally.

They were both equally hard- the pills caused intense cramping and pain for me (aside from the emotional pain I was in), but it didn't take very long.
Letting it pass naturally wasn't as physically painful but the waiting around it so hard.

From what I have heard from friends, the D&C is a little "easier" on the body and mind.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

February 6th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Honestlymonique's Avatar mommy of three
I let mine pass naturally but it was very very hard emotionally. Yet again I'm so very sorry for your loss

February 6th, 2013, 12:57 PM
miniRazz's Avatar <3 my rainbow baby
I had a missed miscarriage on my first loss. I had a D&C, it made it easier and quicker for my hormones to go back to normal and for me to be able to grieve.

I talked to my aunt who works for a nurses hotline in Saskatchewan before I made a decision on which option I would take. All she could tell me is that she heard so many awful stories about taking the pill (it does not have a high effective rate either so it could end up in D&C anyways), apparently it can cause extreme pain. My doctor also gave me feedback from previous patients that had asked her to pass along their experiences which was basically the same as what my aunt had told me.

It is not an easy decision no matter what you do.
Take care Kim ((HUGS))

February 6th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
My SIL lost her baby last year about this time (baby passed at 10 weeks, she found out at 12). She chose to wait for a natural miscarriage, which took about another week to start. She ended up going to the hospital anyway because she was bleeding very heavily. My brother "found" the baby, but she did not want to see.

This is just terrible that you have to go through this!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

February 6th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Super Mommy
Kim this is such a hard decision I know I faced this in sept 2011 I was 12 weeks pg dr could not find heart beat. We tried again a couple of days later nothing I went for an ultrasound the tech would not tell me anything and they sent the results to wrong dr so I ended up at home alone when my body started to mc. I don't know if it was due to my fibroid or what but my body was unable to complete the mc on its own. I ended up unconscious with massive blood loss when my SO found me. Lucky for me he was worried that I didn't answer the phone and he came home from work 6 hours early to check on me. I spent the rest of that day in a trama unit til they could stabilize me and give me bloodtransfusion and a d and c at 2 am. I was in the hospital 3 days. I was off work 6 weeks. It was awful.

Sorry for such a long story. We had not told anyone we were pg yet at that time so we never shared why I was sick either. It's been bottled up so long.

I think the d and c is the way to go. To be safe and heal quick. Anyway you choose is heart breaking. Again I am sorry. My thoughts are with you.

Last edited by Jessmom; February 6th, 2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Add more
February 6th, 2013, 01:53 PM
soccermamatomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had 6 missed miscarriages. With each one I opted for a D&C. You go in, they do the procedure and you can begin to heal both physically and emotionally. I am so very sorry you have to go through this.
Twin DDs: 14 yo
DS: 9yo
Step DD: 15yo
Step DD: 11yo
Rayna-August 18, 2013!
February 6th, 2013, 02:11 PM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
The doctors referred to mine as a D&E. I was 13.5 weeks and the baby passed away two weeks prior. They suggested the D&E because they were worried that I could lose too much blood trying to pass a larger fetus. Everything went very smoothly, considering the miserable situation. I asked to be put to sleep. The waiting after the fact would have just been too much for me and since my baby had already passed two weeks ago, I had no idea how long I would be waiting. You can PM me if you need to. Again, I am so sorry <3

Last edited by MyFantasticFour; February 6th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
February 6th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had 2 miscarriages and opted for the D&E both times. I know for myself, I couldnt stand the thought of passing my baby at home with all the pain, and for the most part I'm at home alot alone with my kids so I didn't want anything to happen to me without at least another adult there.
Recovery was much easier for me to manage knowing that I could start the healing process immediately.

I'm sorry for your loss

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

February 6th, 2013, 02:34 PM
MamaLemonade's Avatar ~~Whitney~~
Oh, this is always that for me
I've never had a d & c, my first one & third passed naturally and my second I took the pills. I'm sorry you have to make the choice, honestly if I could have redone the natural ones I would have just done the d&c. I was a wreak waiting for it happen on its own
Mommy to:C(5), M(4), T(1), awaiting #4
Married to my <3 since 8/09

February 6th, 2013, 05:13 PM
pearlica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found out baby had no heartbeat at 8.5 weeks. Baby had stopped developing at 5.5 weeks. When I still hadnt passed anything 5 weeks after baby stopped developing I opted for the pills. It wasnt painful for me, not even as bad as period cramps but it took 4 days to start and I bled for a long time and given a chance to do it again I would do a D&C. I think it made it worse watching all the bits of stuff have to come out (sorry tmi). My HCG also took 6 weeks to drop down to negative again and I think this would have been faster with a D&C I hated still feeling pregnant and having morning sickness after it all.
February 6th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Reading all of this just breaks my heart. I hate that any person ever has to go through this and make that decision. I'm so sorry that you are having to discuss these types of options. My heart aches for you.
February 6th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Super Mommy
Hi Kim, I'm soo sorry for your loss. How many weeks are you? With my first I was 1 day shy of 15 weeks- baby was only measuring about 14- I chose a D&E but the med they put up there to soften the cervix actually put me in labor and I ended up having baby at home. The second time we actually chose to got to the hospital to deliver in a more controlled less traumatic way. It was not 'easier', however for my husband and I, to see our baby, take pictures, hold them was so much better. I think we had an easier time healing because we had closure. I have beautiful pictures on my sons feet and hands. God is/was so good to allow us to have that time... Please if you need to talk, or want to see I will share...

February 6th, 2013, 06:03 PM
tparum's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to tparum Send a message via Yahoo to tparum
my heart breaks that u even have to decide on this I have had a D&C and that was before dd

Allways Remembering our Angels
Angelina Marie 08-02-99,William Dewayne 02-08-01,Thomas Ray 07-30-02 and BabyBean 02-22-08 and BabyBean 03/02/2012
February 6th, 2013, 07:15 PM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
I've had one m/c and it was only at 6 weeks. I let everything pass naturally. I think a D&C is much faster and gets the healing process going. I second who ever else said going natural was so hard because of all the blood and waiting for everything to pass. Its like salt in the wounds. Regardless I would say trust your heart and your gut. Im so so so so so very sorry you have to make this incredibly tough decision.
February 6th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Super Mommy
Sooo sorry you have to go through this. But to answer your question.... I personally feel that a d and c will allow your body to heal faster. I had one done after a missed miscarriage in August of 2012 and my body was back on track after six weeks.

February 7th, 2013, 09:15 AM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my first loss I was around 7 weeks and I had started bleeding before I knew I miscarried. So everything passed naturally at home, but it was like labor. Also, I don't think my body fully cleaned out either although my levels were followed back down to 0.
With the second loss I had a D&C at 9 1/2 weeks. Going under was a little scary, but it was over so quick and afterwards I had basically had a mild period. I was also given some mild pain meds. This time around my body was not getting the clue that the pregnancy was not viable.
I think if you can swing the $ for D&C and if I was you I would opt for that. It is invasive, but you have been through so much. Unless you need that time to cope emotionally and would rather let things happen naturally.
I feel so terrible you have to make this decision.

Oct '11 June '12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search