Preventing Stretch Marks

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By alittlelost

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2013, 10:22 AM
round2t's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know it's more watching your weight gain than anything else, but is there really any cream/lotion/oil that can help prevent stretch marks?

I'm getting big a little more quickly than planned so I'm slightly nervous about it. At one point in my life I gained a hefty amount of weight pretty quickly and my thighs and butt are COVERED in them (though luckily they've faded quite a bit)... I just feel like I'm prone to getting them.

Currently I'm using DreamBelly Butter on my belly after showers and any time I feel "itchy" but I'm going to be out of that soon and was looking for something perhaps a little less expensive.

Any suggestions? Or is it really just up to mother nature regardless of how much crap you slather on yourself?

February 17th, 2013, 10:29 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You will find women who swear by such and such cream etc. In my personal opinion, it comes down to luck and staying fit. They say if you work out and keep up with muscle tone you will have a greater chance avoiding stretch marks. I used lotions with both kids and I have stretch marks. It doesn't bother me. Mine aren't extreme and have now faded. "They" say, if your mom has them, then you have a greater chance of having them too.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
February 17th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Veteran
I'm no expert, but I tend to think it might have more to do with your skin type and overall body shape than anything else. I regularly used body butter with both my first pregnancies (nothing special, just what a friend gave me) and didn't get any stretch marks, but I've always attributed it to the fact that I'm really tall and have an athletic build with a long torso, so I have a lot of real estate for baby to fill instead of going straight out. My mom never got them either. Also I delivered both babies just shy of 39 weeks - who knows, they may pop up at 40 weeks if I get there with this baby. I've heard of them almost appearing overnight at the en of pregnancy. None of that's based on any science, just my thoughts.
February 17th, 2013, 12:09 PM
KASHWORTH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's definitely just depends on your skin. Everyone is different. I used vit e lotions body butter all that like every day with my last pregnancy and it didn't help. I got a lot at the end. They seem to run in my family. I even got some on my thighs just from growing as a teen and I was always tiny never overweight. It just depends. But the lotions are supposed to help somewhat and work for some people. I use the palmers organic cocoa butter massage lotion for stretch marks.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
February 17th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Super Mommy
I think all the creams and lotions are nice but that you will either get them or not. I have only a few on my breasts stomach is fine. I did nothing special. I don't scar or bruise easily either. My mom has none but my sister got lots so I dont know. My middle dd has them on her legs already from growing.
February 17th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it is more genetics, BUT I still use lotion with cocoa butter daily. I have stretch marks on my boobs and inner thighs from going from short and flat to tall and chesty almost overnight. I thought I was doomed when I got pregnant with Haeden, but only got maybe two? I don't even see them until much later bc They were so low.

February 17th, 2013, 04:10 PM
yvee80's Avatar SmileyMom
Location: McDonough, GA by way of Charlotte, NC and my home NY!!!!
It really does just depend... My mom got none and with my first I didn't get any until around 8.5 months but they were very light and have faded well. I do keep my skin moisturized on a regular basis though

*Thanks Jaidyn's mum for my beautiful siggy

>
February 17th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Jhendrickson's Avatar Veteran
I'm using mama mio and love it!!
February 17th, 2013, 07:46 PM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It really just depends to be honest. I dont believe there is anythign you can do to prevent them, if they are going to happen, they will. However staying hydrated (drinking water and using lotion) does help with severity and whether or not they will be painful. With DS I thought I was lucky, had ZERO stretchmarks until like 36 weeks. One morning I woke up with one little itty bitty teeny tiny on the underside of my belly, then the next morning I was covered. Everywhere, my hips, belly, (tmi) my crotch even got them. I used lotion my entire pregnancy and did all the old tricks, but I have bad genes.

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

February 18th, 2013, 10:11 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
genetics goes a LONG way, and lotion helps a LITTLE, but if you want something that helps a LOT that you can control? DRINK LOTS OF WATER. Also try to gain weight at an even pace
February 18th, 2013, 10:51 AM
SmilesAreContagious's Avatar Rheanna Mommy-2-b
I think you either will get them or you wont and there is nothing you can do about it. Some ladies are prone to them (me) and others are lucky to not get them at all. I agree that things like water and lotion help some but I dont think they can be prevented.
February 18th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've heard cocoa butter and drinking lots of water. I think I'm going to get a TON because I'm really bad about remembering to put on the lotion as well as I have a few already from weight gain and loss when I was younger (very light ones on my hips and breasts).

February 18th, 2013, 11:27 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's a great idea, Allie. I know I'm prone to stretch marks because I got a TON just from gaining 20 lbs when I was younger. Yet I can gain 30 lbs in pregnancy and not get them, and my midwives said it's because I'm drinking plenty of water and eating healthy, which improves the elasticity of your skin. I think a lot of people assume there's nothing you can do, and so they don't try and that is why so many people get them or get them worse than they would have otherwise.
Allie_SMg likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search