Tip: don't use what you don't need...

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By alittlelost
  • 1 Post By Jenilope
  • 1 Post By PhD_Bound_Mommy
  • 1 Post By Allie_SMg
  • 1 Post By Anchored
  • 1 Post By teeny0518

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2013, 12:53 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was just remembering something about my kids (since we're talking about baby products).

When my oldest was born, I never used diaper cream, until someone made me feel like the worst mom on the planet for not using it at night (he was sleeping through the night from a few days old). They were like "You HAVE to use cream at night or he's going to get a rash." So, being of an impressionable personality at the time and a panicky first-time mother, that very night I put cream on him before bed. He woke up in the morning with a HORRIBLE rash. I kept using the cream trying to get rid of it, but it got worse. I tried powder, and it got worse. I tried other brands of cream, even all natural ones, and STILL it got worse. So we went to the Pedi and she said to just wash him after every diaper change and let him go diaperless as much as I can until it goes away. So I did and the rash immediately started to clear up.

While I was there I told her about how I think it was a reaction to the cream and what happened, and she said to not use cream anymore. What's strange is to this day my oldest does not have sensitive skin at all! Anyway, I was like (repeating my well-meaning friend), "Yeah, but he sleeps all night. Should I set an alarm or something to get up and change his diaper." Her response, "Why would you do that?" I explained what my friend explained to me, and she basically said, "Your baby will let you know if you need a diaper change. Don't wake up a sleeping baby over that." Basically she told me I was over thinking things.

Anyway, as I raised my other two, I found they have the same reactions to diaper cream, and the only cure *for my kids* with diaper rashes is lots of baths and naked time. Of course, I'm not saying no one should use diaper cream ever or that most baby's skin will react as my kids' did (because I don't think that's the case AT ALL), but I DID want to say that if a well-meaning friend tells you that you MUST use diaper rash cream, and your baby doesn't have a diaper rash, think twice. From this I learned to not use what isn't needed. Things like diaper powder and diaper cream are NOT needed at every diaper change. Some people do like to use powder I think (because come on, it smells SO good) and by all means if your kid doesn't react to it, don't use it. But on the actual cream, I say think about it because essentially what you are doing is starting off a dry diaper with moisture already in it, which is apparently what caused my son to get a rash. The purpose of the cream generally is to "block" the skin from urine and feces when a rash is already there, to stop the rash from getting worse, but there are other ways to treat a diaper rash and, in my experience, using cream at every diaper change might cost you more money, but it doesn't mean that your baby won't get a rash. (Of course, I'm sure there ARE some babies where using it all the time works as a preventative measure). Long story short, follow your instincts and see what works for your kid, just don't get trapped into thinking you need something you don't
Anchored likes this.
February 18th, 2013, 02:05 PM
BabyFever23's Avatar Proud mama & Wife
I would use Vaseline on my boys at night it helped. I only used actual diaper rash cream If the did develop a rash.

Make a pregnancy ticker
February 18th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I also only use the cream if there is a rash, I just didn't see the need to spend the money or expose the baby to the extra stuff when we were trucking along just fine.

And totally ditto to your ped, I never wake a sleeping baby for a diaper change! I actually put a double set of bedding on the crib (i.e. mattress, waterproof cover or pad, sheet, waterproof cover/pad, sheet) so if they did have a blow out or spit up in the middle of the night, I just had to pull off the top layer, didn't even need to turn on the lights. (If? Who am I kidding? WHEN. And when is always the middle of the night. Always. lol)
alittlelost likes this.

February 18th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Veteran
Thank you for the good advice...it seems logical to me that you should go with your instincts and be happy for suggestions, but in the end to do what feels right to you and what works for your family & your baby.

February 18th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've never put the cream on my kids. I had friends who watched DS for me when he was a baby while I worked and they would put it on him and he would have the nastiest rash. I believe in drying them off and naked baby time. I'm also kinda weird in which after I use a wipe on them, I air dry them before placing a diaper back on them so that they are not still wet when a new diaper goes on.
alittlelost likes this.
February 18th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
PhD--I fan my babies with the new diaper to get them dry after wiping, too, and they LOVE it! lol

February 18th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This seems like good advice. Since this is my first, I probably would have just listened to what people said, but this makes perfect sense. Don't use the medicine before you're even sick! lol
alittlelost likes this.

February 18th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Kayla_7602's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only ever use cream when there was already a rash. I dont see the point in using it when they dont have a rash.

Thanks Jaidynsmum for the awsome siggy!

February 18th, 2013, 08:49 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If baby has diaper rash, a little exposure to sun and air is the best.. also, butt paste!!

February 19th, 2013, 05:43 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also never used the cream unless he had a rash I didn't have too many people giving me advice though, maybe that's a good thing afterall! lol
alittlelost likes this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

February 19th, 2013, 06:31 AM
teeny0518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Everyone is an expert when you are pregnant aren't they?! I am amazed at all the unsolicited advice I have gotten since being pregnant!
Anchored likes this.

February 19th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We also don't use diaper rash creme. We'd rather do naked baby time then worry with icky smelly creams.

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

February 19th, 2013, 06:56 AM
AprylLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ive gotten so much unnessesary advice since my first and i ignore it. Everyone had am option on what is best for baby but only you know baby the best so only you know what is best For baby. I never put cream on my kids unless there was a Rash either. I don't like the idea of putting chemicals on baby at all we only used it when needed.

Visit my blog:http://adventuresofamom.blog.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search