I just want a turkey sandwich!

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love Hebrew National dogs. They taste so much better. I eat hotdogs, I just pan fry them. They taste like they just came off the grill! Yummy. I do same with lunch meat and make hot turkey and cheese sandwiches....with pickles! Geesh now I'm starving lol
Anchored and Allie_SMg like this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
February 19th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My favorite way to do a turkey sandwich is basically make a grilled cheese with turkey and tomato. OMG so good.

Knowing I can do a hot dog heated, I may break down and eat one if I get that craving again.
February 19th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhD_Bound_Mommy View Post
My favorite way to do a turkey sandwich is basically make a grilled cheese with turkey and tomato. OMG so good.

Knowing I can do a hot dog heated, I may break down and eat one if I get that craving again.
Omg that sounds so yummy!

{ chemical 10/26/12}
February 19th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's really good on an english muffin too! LOL. Just pop it in the microwave to melt the cheese and heat it up. I could live off those.
February 19th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You guys are making me want Hebrew National hot dogs! I didn't eat them THAT much before pregnancy, but since I went like 2.5 months without eating them at all and then decided to start eating them as long as they were super hot, I've been craving them more.

February 19th, 2013, 08:05 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh jeez now I'm going to have to have a hot dog tomorrow LOL

Mmmmmm I love mine drowning in mustard and ketchup and relish

February 19th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If I eat a hot dog I either want it with mustard and sour kraut or mustard, relish, tomatoes, and hot peppers. I cannot even stand putting onion or ketchup on a hot dog.
February 20th, 2013, 12:56 AM
I have to have mustard and ketchup on mine lol yummy

{ chemical 10/26/12}
February 20th, 2013, 06:02 AM
teeny0518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im so confused. My doctor said lunch meat is fine as long as I don't have it everyday and that there is no need to heat it up. She said hot dogs are fine as long as Im not eating them cold out of the package (barf), she said tuna and most fish are fine as long as I only eat it once a week or so. And she said NOTHING about egg salad or chicken salad. WTH?! I feel like I am at risk now or something because I have been eating all of those things (within the limits), but I trust my doctor too! Im not sure what to think...

***Thanks to Vicki for my awesome signature!!!***

1st OB Appt: 01/02 (6w0d) - Pregnancy confirmed!
2nd OB Appt/Ultrasound: 01/14 (7w5d) - Baby's heart rate 131
3rd OB Appt: 02/11 (11w5d) - Baby's heart rate 166
4th OB Appt: 03/11 (15w5d) - Baby's heart rate 150
Elective Gender Scan: 03/16 (16w2d) - It's a GIRL!!!
5th OB Appt/Anatomy Scan: 04/08 (19w5d) - Baby's heart rate 155
6th OB Appt: 05/06 (23w5d)- Baby's heart rate 148
7th OB Appt/Glucose Test: 06/03 (27w5d) -Baby's heart rate 144, Passed Glucose Test!
8th OB Appt: 06/14 (29w2d) - Baby's heart rate 140
9th OB Appt: 06/24 (30w5d) - Baby's heart rate 135
3D/4D Ultrasound: 06/29 - She looks like her Daddy!
10th OB Appt: 07/10 (33w0d) - Baby's heart rate 131
11th OB Appt: 07/22 (34w5d) - Baby's heart rate 140
12th OB Appt: 08/05 (36w5d) - Baby's heart rate 136; 2.5 cm dilated/80% effaced!
13th OB Appt: 08/12 (37w5d) - Baby's heart rate 145; 3 cm dilated/80% effaced
14th OB Appt: 08/19 (38w5d) - Baby's heart rate 145; 3.5 cm dilated/80% effaced
Birthday 08/21/2013 - 6lbs, 12 oz, 19 inches long and PERFECT!
February 20th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Veteran
I don't really miss lunch meats--don't eat them much normally, it's just annoying if they serve them for lunch at work, since there isn't really an alternative. I eat hotdogs heated, though not often. I think the nitrates in stuff like that isn't great either, but ok every once in a while. What I miss the most though that is like this is pepperoni, sausages, and smoked salmon. Yum! Sometimes I sneak a little pepperoni if it is heated, because I think that is ok?

It is very confusing what is allowed, what is not recommended, what is supposed to be dangerous, etc . . . Even though I try to be really careful I still mess up. The soft cheese thing is what really gets me!
February 20th, 2013, 06:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeny0518 View Post
Im so confused. My doctor said lunch meat is fine as long as I don't have it everyday and that there is no need to heat it up. She said hot dogs are fine as long as Im not eating them cold out of the package (barf), she said tuna and most fish are fine as long as I only eat it once a week or so. And she said NOTHING about egg salad or chicken salad. WTH?! I feel like I am at risk now or something because I have been eating all of those things (within the limits), but I trust my doctor too! Im not sure what to think...
This helps me a lot to remember what to avoid.

Pregnancy nutrition: Foods to avoid during pregnancy - MayoClinic.com

A Food Guide for Pregnant Women: What to Eat and What Not to Eat

Foods to Avoid During Pregnancy

I believe if Deli Meat and Hot Dogs are nitrate free you can eat them just as long as they are heated up to 180 to kill any bacteria.
February 20th, 2013, 07:29 AM
teeny0518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhD_Bound_Mommy View Post
This helps me a lot to remember what to avoid.

Pregnancy nutrition: Foods to avoid during pregnancy - MayoClinic.com

A Food Guide for Pregnant Women: What to Eat and What Not to Eat

Foods to Avoid During Pregnancy

I believe if Deli Meat and Hot Dogs are nitrate free you can eat them just as long as they are heated up to 180 to kill any bacteria.
Thanks PhD...I wonder why my doctor wouldnt tell me these things?

***Thanks to Vicki for my awesome signature!!!***

1st OB Appt: 01/02 (6w0d) - Pregnancy confirmed!
2nd OB Appt/Ultrasound: 01/14 (7w5d) - Baby's heart rate 131
3rd OB Appt: 02/11 (11w5d) - Baby's heart rate 166
4th OB Appt: 03/11 (15w5d) - Baby's heart rate 150
Elective Gender Scan: 03/16 (16w2d) - It's a GIRL!!!
5th OB Appt/Anatomy Scan: 04/08 (19w5d) - Baby's heart rate 155
6th OB Appt: 05/06 (23w5d)- Baby's heart rate 148
7th OB Appt/Glucose Test: 06/03 (27w5d) -Baby's heart rate 144, Passed Glucose Test!
8th OB Appt: 06/14 (29w2d) - Baby's heart rate 140
9th OB Appt: 06/24 (30w5d) - Baby's heart rate 135
3D/4D Ultrasound: 06/29 - She looks like her Daddy!
10th OB Appt: 07/10 (33w0d) - Baby's heart rate 131
11th OB Appt: 07/22 (34w5d) - Baby's heart rate 140
12th OB Appt: 08/05 (36w5d) - Baby's heart rate 136; 2.5 cm dilated/80% effaced!
13th OB Appt: 08/12 (37w5d) - Baby's heart rate 145; 3 cm dilated/80% effaced
14th OB Appt: 08/19 (38w5d) - Baby's heart rate 145; 3.5 cm dilated/80% effaced
Birthday 08/21/2013 - 6lbs, 12 oz, 19 inches long and PERFECT!
February 20th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I haven't heard anything about chicken or egg salad being off limits. Or any meat as long as Its cooked/heated. Working at the health department you'd think I would have heard something. The main thing Is to avoid things that have been sitting out exposed to the air for more than a couple minutes because they have a higher risk of having bacteria. So cold salads like those are fine if you are making them yourself.
Anchored likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

February 20th, 2013, 08:08 AM
What is the deal with nitrates? I know you are supposed to avoid them but why? I would KILL for some salami.

February 20th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Because nitrates are just nasty for you in general. I just talked to the deli at the grocery store to ask if their meats were nitrate free, and was told the only brand that is safe to eat pregnant that's nitrate free is Boar's Head. So if you go out and want hot dogs or deli meat look for that brand. I was told the only place here in El Paso that sells it is on the west side at a health food store called Sprouts, but I know in NC we bought that brand at Harris Teeter.
February 20th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Do they cause actual birth defects, etc? Or is it just beacuse they aren't that great for you and you should be eating healthy while pregnant, etc?

February 20th, 2013, 08:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Numerous studies have found that nitrites contribute to a variety of negative health effects, which we've compiled here.

Cancer: When you eat nitrites, they can be converted into nitrosamines, which are potent cancer-causing chemicals, in your body. Specific cancers seem to be most affected, including:

Colorectal Cancer: People who ate the most processed meat were 50 percent more likely to develop lower colon cancer, according to a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Stomach Cancer: An investigation into 15 studies on processed meat found that the risk of stomach cancer increased from 15 percent to 38 percent if the processed meats ratio consumed by an individual rose by 30 grams.

Pancreatic Cancer: People who ate the most processed meats had a 68 percent higher risk of pancreatic cancer compared with those who ate the least, a study in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute found.

lunchmeat

If you love lunchmeat, pepperoni, bacon, sausage and other cured meats, look for nitrite-free varieties in your grocery store. If they're not there, request them!

Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): People who ate more than 14 servings of cured meats per month scored lower on tests of lung function and had an increased risk of COPD compared with people who did not eat cured meats. For each additional serving of cured meat per month, the study found a 2 percent increased risk for COPD.

DNA Mutations: Hot dogs that contain nitrites have been found to contain DNA-mutating compounds. If enough DNA mutations occur in the gut, it could increase your risk of colon cancer.

Brain Tumors in Children: Children born to women who ate a lot of cured meats during pregnancy had a two to three times greater risk of developing a brain tumor than those born to mothers who did not eat cured meats. Children whose mothers at low levels of cured meats during pregnancy had a moderate increase in brain tumor risk, the study, published in Public Health Nutrition, found.
February 20th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just order the veggie sub when I go to Jimmy Johns or Larry's. Yum-O! But I'm not big on deli meat anyway.

February 20th, 2013, 09:10 AM
soccermamatomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think ANYTHING in moderation is fine. But that is just my opinion. Edited to say, that by anything, I mean food wise. I don't think alcohol, tobacco or any kind of drug is okay. Ever.

Come to think of it, my biggest craving with my twin pregnancy was black forest ham, cheese and horseradish on a roll. I remember eating several per day for a while there in my 3rd trimester (I was on bedrest and had nothing better to do than eat). Thankfully my babies were born healthy and fine.
Twin DDs: 14 yo
DS: 9yo
Step DD: 15yo
Step DD: 11yo
Rayna-August 18, 2013!
February 20th, 2013, 09:28 AM
I eat lunch meat lol with nitrates. It's hard to find any nitrate free in our area. Eh, there are worse things out there but I understand abstaining while expecting.

I loved some black forest ham with dd and she's prefect.
mamalamb and soccermamatomany like this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search