I just want a turkey sandwich!

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2013, 02:45 PM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
Seriously. If I could have one cold turkey sandwich, without having to heat it up, I could probably go the rest of the pregnancy without one. Probably.

I tried to look up if Jimmy Johns is safe since they cut their meat fresh daily and are super clean, but there wasnt a general consensus I know if I eat a cold turkey sandwich and something happened to my baby I would blame myself. But, before getting pregnant, I would eat a cold cut a few times a week and I NEVER got sick. Being pregnant I've been heating the turkey up whenever I want a turkey sandwich, and even letting it cool back down when I want it cold, but I kid you not it changes the flavor.

Also, doesnt help that DH is completely oblivious to my dilemma because hes playing that daggone game of his instead of paying attention to me. He stayed home from work yesterday because he's sick and what'd he do? PLAYED GAMES MOST OF THE DAY. gdajklsnflvnfslvjn!!! Stupid husband. Stupid turkey. Stupid hormones. I think I'm going to get some ice cream to make myself feel better *sigh*
EDD: Aug. 9th, 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker
February 19th, 2013, 02:56 PM
IvyMommy's Avatar Veteran
I craved sandwishes early on and ate them . I am not saying its ok but I did the same with my other babies as well... plus jimmy johns can deliver to my work in 5 minutes after I order online
February 19th, 2013, 02:59 PM
yvee80's Avatar SmileyMom
Location: McDonough, GA by way of Charlotte, NC and my home NY!!!!
I am too!!! I just found out yesterday that I should be heating up the deli meat!

*Thanks Jaidyn's mum for my beautiful siggy

>
February 19th, 2013, 03:06 PM
soccermamatomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I eat turkey and even tuna here and there. Have in all my pregnancies and they have all been fine! Go have your sandwich!
yvee80 and MindyRambo like this.
Twin DDs: 14 yo
DS: 9yo
Step DD: 15yo
Step DD: 11yo
Rayna-August 18, 2013!
February 19th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree! One sandwich every once in a while wont' hurt!

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

February 19th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't do it. I crave sandwiches and just heat them up continuously. I have every pregnancy. Especially when my BFF in NC told me that when she was PG with DD2 she ate chicken salad, cold sandwiches, and eggs with runny yolks almost daily and when she went in for her 26 week appointment they couldn't find a HB, did an u/s to discover that she her HB had stopped but was measuring on target, so rushed her for an emergency c/s and her DD was in the NICU for months. Not sure if they were related, but I won't chance that.
BeachMum likes this.
February 19th, 2013, 03:32 PM
FL Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my! I would LOVE a deli sandwich right now. I ate them with my other pregnancies, but I'm not risking anything this time. I would even love a PB&J, but I can't have that (I have one child with a peanut allergy and I read that because of that I should stay away from peanuts while preggers). The only sandwiches I have been eating are egg salad (prepared and stored properly right here at home), and don't get me wrong, I love egg salad, but if I'm going to be living on that for the next six months I am going to get sick of it. LOL!! I want turkey and chicken and peanut butter!! ...but not all at the same time.
yvee80 likes this.

Noah Joseph - 8/22/03
Jonah Thomas - 9/29/05
Patricia Carryl - Due 8/23/13

Missing my Heavenly Babies - 10/28/04 - 14wks & Baby Born Still - 10/18/11 - 17wks

February 19th, 2013, 04:41 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
These are one of the rules that I do follow as I had a friend who lost her baby because of listeria, I'm just SO paranoid about it because I never thought that COULD happen, but it does and that's why they a warning about it. Knowing my luck, the ONE time I caved was the one time that I got sick. I do know lots of friends who never followed it and did fine, it's just one of those things for me.

February 19th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will say this. I hate hot dogs. Like beyond hate them. The only time I want them is when I'm pregnant and they are on the do not eat list. So I go the whole 9 months without one. Cravings suck, but they have those warnings for a reason. And the guilt you would feel if you caved and something happened can never be taken back.
February 19th, 2013, 04:58 PM
cypressmama's Avatar Super Mommy
I may be way wrong and am certainly no dr but I LIVE off lunch meat. It is a regular part of my diet.
I have eaten a couple turkey sandwiches and am good so far.. idk I know a lot of the precautions we take are excessive. We don't want to risk our baby's health. But if you think about it other countries like France.. they drink wine and eat cheese through their pregnancies and their babies turn out just fine..
Japan.. eat sushi and their babies are super healthy. Just my .2

February 19th, 2013, 04:58 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dh and I were out of town the other day and I totally forgot and we split a turkey sub. I remembered after a few bites and stopped eating it but I'm still paranoid. It's one of the few rules I do follow, or try to.

Side note, would I know if I had contracted listeria? Would I be sick? Or is one of those symptom-less things?

February 19th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Mommy of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalamb View Post
Dh and I were out of town the other day and I totally forgot and we split a turkey sub. I remembered after a few bites and stopped eating it but I'm still paranoid. It's one of the few rules I do follow, or try to.

Side note, would I know if I had contracted listeria? Would I be sick? Or is one of those symptom-less things?
Yeah I think you'd have a fever, nausea, diarrhea and maybe muscle aches

February 19th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressmama View Post
I may be way wrong and am certainly no dr but I LIVE off lunch meat. It is a regular part of my diet.
I have eaten a couple turkey sandwiches and am good so far.. idk I know a lot of the precautions we take are excessive. We don't want to risk our baby's health. But if you think about it other countries like France.. they drink wine and eat cheese through their pregnancies and their babies turn out just fine..
Japan.. eat sushi and their babies are super healthy. Just my .2
Here's my thing, American's tend to do things differently than other countries. In Europe they condone drinking during pregnancy, yet in America we advise against it due to alcohol poisoning. In Europe they smoke during pregnancy, once again Americans don't because of birth defects that can occur from this.

The warnings are there not because they will happen to EVERY person, but because they can happen. And you could be one of those lucky people it will never happen to, yet another person, even someone in here could sit there and go well they are doing it so I will too, and something bad happen.

We all do what we feel is best for us and our babies. That's what moms do. But if there is a warning to avoid something there is a reason for it. Even if you are unaffected this time, what about the next time? As I said, my friend ate the items that were advised not to eat with her pregnancies and almost lost her youngest daughter. She didn't read the books for the warnings and her doctor never told her what foods to avoid and it almost cost her.
Irishgirl99 and Casey99 like this.
February 19th, 2013, 05:37 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
now I want one, too!! lol. I wish I could eat Jimmy Johns.. Its the cheapest place to order lunch from work.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
February 19th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Pbear31's Avatar Super Mommy
Mmmm...Jimmy Johns...slim 5 with sauce. Sigh. I am an avoider, too...but really crave it!
February 19th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I ate cold lunch meat with dd and I was fine. I just made sure it was not expired.

I'd indulge at least once if I were you but I'm bad lol

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
February 19th, 2013, 06:43 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalamb View Post

Not always, but often you are symptom-less. An adult generally can handle listeria. We fight it off pretty easily normally. So it can affect the baby without you knowing you even have it.
PhD_Bound_Mommy likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

February 19th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know the feeling! I haven't had deli meats since before I was pregnant and I've been craving a Subway ham and swiss sandwich or a turkey, bacon and avocado. Yum. But I agree, it's better safe than sorry.

I DO indulge in the occasional chili dog that I keep craving. I get all beef kosher hot dogs (just because they taste better and are better quality) and I only eat them steaming hot, so since you can eat deli meats after it's heated, I don't really see the difference. Isn't it just because of listeria pretty much the same as deli meats?

February 19th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
yes, hotdogs carry the same listeria risk. And you can eat them cooked, same as lunch meat

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

February 19th, 2013, 07:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually don't remember the reason for Hot Dogs. I just remember them being on the do not eat list. And I do Hebrew Nationals for the kids, so they are kosher and all beef, but I don't want to possibly risk anything. I never want them not pregnant, and my kids aren't big on hot dogs anyways, so it's not something we keep in the house. I actually try to abide by every rule that they have in the book.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search