Elimination Diet

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BeachMum

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2013, 06:54 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So, at this point I think I'm having pregnancy induced food allergies.

For months I have had "bathroom issues", EXCEPT for the 1st day or two after my stomach virus (where I didn't eat anything really but chicken broth for about 24 hours). Then I had one good day (in that department) and then the next day,after eating normally, it was back to the previous issues. It isn't due to POOR diet -- my midwife looked at my food log and said I was doing great.

Also, I'm still getting itchy (face and neck) which my midwife thinks is related to food. I'm just now thinking that my bathroom issues are related to food, too. I've been taken probiotics, but it's just not helping. So, I'm trying an elimination diet, which means I won't be eating any of the main allergy foods (wheat, milk, soy, eggs, etc) for about 2 weeks, then adding foods back in slowly to see what might be my triggers.

On one hand, I hope this helps, because I've been miserable and want some relief.
On the other hand, I hope it doesn't help, because then I'll feel more like "there's nothing I can do" and can eat the way I was eating before. (I will really miss wheat and milk).
February 21st, 2013, 07:34 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good luck! I am in the middle of the elimination diet for my 16 month old. He hasn't grown since he was 6 months old and we think it's because of food allergies (kind of ironic when we started solids, he stopped growing). He's actually gained 4 lbs since we've stopped the triggers we think 5 weeks ago. Make sure you give it enough time to get out of your system before you introduce it back in.

I have a lot of food allergies in my kiddos and it sucks, but it IS doable, especially nowadays. {HUGS}

February 21st, 2013, 07:51 AM
Mommy of 3
Good luck! Hope you get it figured out soon

February 21st, 2013, 07:53 AM
So far, it sucks. I've only made it through breakfast, and it's bothering me that I can't have some of my favorite foods.
February 21st, 2013, 07:56 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Uggh I understand (I'm on the elimination diet too because I'm still nursing him). I LOVE milk and cereal and I can't eat some cereals or the milk and HATE almond milk. Have you tried going to the health food store and finding some alternatives in the meantime. Push through and see, it does get easier the longer you go, but it's HARD in the beginning. I'm hoping it's not an allergy/insensitivity to your favorite foods.
alittlelost likes this.

February 21st, 2013, 07:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good luck and hope you get results soon.

February 21st, 2013, 10:59 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
That sounds awful, I feel for you!

I had my gallbladder removed in March and was doing fine, then, suddenly with the pregnancy, I would have really painful bathroom trouble after the first meal I ate. Every day. I had to skip breakfast on days I had to drive my daughter to school, I was absolutely miserable.

I brought it up to my GP and he said it sounds like "dumping syndrome" and thought it could be related to just having too much acid and bile in my system since pregnancy increases both. He put me on Rx strength acid blockers and it has really helped. I still can't eat an omelette for breakfast, but I can eat a piece of toast and a glass of milk and be ok. So, if it's not the food allergies, maybe consider that?

Hope you feel better soon!

Mom to four beautiful girls

Matilda (6), Evelyn (4), Adelaide (2), Cecily (11 months)

February 21st, 2013, 11:03 AM
Jenilope, I had my gallbladder out when I was 14. I wonder if this is related to that (though I was fine w/previous pregnancies aside from a few bad constipation days...)

I'm glad you piped up. Never would have considered needing acid blockers! If this doesn't work, I'll look that next. Thanks again.

and yes, it's painful sorry you went through that too.
February 21st, 2013, 11:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good Luck!
February 21st, 2013, 01:41 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
Good luck narrowing down the cause and glad to point out another option. I was perfectly fine for 6 months after the surgery but with the pregnancy it just changed things and bam, on the commode every morning. It was awful but it's a ton better with the acid blockers.

Mom to four beautiful girls

Matilda (6), Evelyn (4), Adelaide (2), Cecily (11 months)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search