Blood Test Results--no gender and curious Rh antibodies

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Anchored

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2013, 11:52 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I got the blood test results back this week.

First, baby is totally healthy for all the genetic things we tested for, which is excellent news!

Second, the lab no longer reveals gender, even to your doctor because of fear of the information being used for sex-selective abortions. I'm so happy baby is healthy but I was really looking forward to the gender determination and I was sure my OB said it was part of the test. I must have misunderstood or he misspoke, so that was disappointing, but still glad to know baby is healthy, whether it be a he or a she and I'll find out in 4-6 weeks.

Finally, OB mentioned that there was an anomaly in my blood work--I tested positive for antibodies in my blood, which is something that typically only happens to Rh- mommies carrying Rh+ babies. But I'm Rh+ so that shouldn't be happening. I'm hoping it's just a lab error when I re-do the Coombs test on Wednesday because, of course, Dr. Google says the other possibilities are kind of scary. Have any of you other Rh+ mommies ever tested positive for antibodies in a Coombs test before?

February 21st, 2013, 11:56 AM
Mommy of 3
Aww sorry you didn't find out the gender.
I don't know anything about a Coombs test but I hope everything is ok!!

February 21st, 2013, 11:57 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
how strange! I hope they figure out the cause of those results soon.
February 21st, 2013, 12:04 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry you didn't get to find out the gender. I've never had that test done so I don't know about the results, but all of my babies were Coombs + at birth. We had to stay an extra day in the hospital for each of them but no issues really from it. Not sure if it's the same thing or not what they tested you for.

February 21st, 2013, 12:06 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't talk to Dr. Google! He will drive you crazy!!! lol

Glad the labs came back good, other than the antibodies! Hopefully you're right and it's just an error!

As for not telling you gender... I applaud them for taking a stance like that, but I hate that it happens often enough to even make it a worry.
Jenilope likes this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

February 21st, 2013, 12:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's the same thing happening with me. Part of why I'm going to the perinatologyst. I do a second blood draw march 21.
February 21st, 2013, 05:28 PM
Super Mommy
Hopefully just a mistake it can happen. Either way glad your dr is going to get to the bottom of it for you. Good luck.
February 21st, 2013, 05:34 PM
Jen71's Avatar Super Mommy
Hmmm... Not sure. My 2nd had a positive Coombs test because my boys are A- and I'm O-. I hope it all turns out ok. I'm sure it will.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search