* ~ * alittlelost and melissamarie247 * ~ *

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2013, 06:51 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, vaccines tend to seem like a great idea to most people until they start researching them. I mean, some people still want to give them, even on time, but usually those who REALLY look into things end up on at least some sort of delayed scheduled. What is crazy is that we know chicken pox won't kill us . . . but the CDC is scaring parents by telling them that chicken pox is really deadly. Well, that's the same thing they did with measles. Growing up, I know we were raised to think that measles was super deadly. BUT ask anyone who is older and had the measles, and they'll tell you it's "no big deal, like chicken pox". I'm not arguing some people might die after being sick with chicken pox (or measles, or flu, or anything else) but what I want to know is WHO is dying from this. not anyone I know. Not anyone healthy and well-nourished who is receiving treatment and attention for their illness...

As for doctors, just be careful who you select as a pediatrician. Most pediatricians will be respectful of a delayed schedule and there are pediatricians who will be respectful of not vaccinating at all. Our first pedi was AWESOME because she totally respected that we didn't vaccinate. And they were a majorly respected pediatric office in our area! Her take was that "If a child gets sick with something, we have to know how to treat it, whether they are vaxxed or not".

So, 4 days until your grandpa is GONE! Excited? I'm excited for you! I mean, cleaning isn't super exciting, I get that, especially when it's THAT gross with OTHER people's funk! BUT having that space cleared out and cleaned and then making it your own is SO going to be awesome! I cleaned our front room really good yesterday. SO nice. I need to do the rest of the house today.

I understand about people who only update about themselves. I understand not having time to be around, but they make time to update, it just comes across as self-centered. I don't have friends like that in real life and don't keep friends like that online. When I'm busy and can't update often, I usually check in with as many people as I can before updating on myself when I have the time. I know I rub people wrong sometimes, too, though, like you said, it happens. I usually know who it is, though, because it seems to always be the same people who have a problem with what I say (sometimes I wonder if they disagree JUST because I said it, or if they really disagree with EVERYTHING I say. Totally possible).

I get grumpy sometimes, but I've actually been in a good mood most of the time. But sometimes I think I sound grumpier than I am because I've been in a passionate mood lately LOL
May 7th, 2013, 11:21 AM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; October 27th, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
May 7th, 2013, 05:59 PM
You know, it's not too early to get started. I would look for ones that are close to you or in convenient/preferred locations. Look up reviews of them online. Email their office with your MAIN questions. For example:

"To whom it may concern,
I'm currently looking for the ideal pediatrician for my baby. My number one goal is simply to find a good match. I had just a few questions to ask you, and I hope you can help me out by answering them.

Is there a waiting list to secure a pediatrician with your office for my newborn? I'm due (xyz date).
What is your policy on vaccines? Are you open to patients who skip or delay vaccines?
What kind of wait times can I expect in your office?
Do you have a "well area" and "sick area" in your waiting room?
Do you accept (xyz) insurance?

Thank you for answering my main questions! I want to see if this is a potentially good fit before wasting anyone's time with more questions or visits. "

You can do that for a family doctor OR a pediatrician Obviously, adjust and as questions to that as necessary

Again, you really can't be "too early" in starting to look. Better to know where you want to go early then end up scrambling because the first 5 places you check out don't feel right to you. DON'T SETTLE on a pedi/doctor. The perfect one is out there. At the very least, you can look at lots of options BEFORE picking one.

Wow, your aunt sounds . . . fantastic. Way to back out at the last second. What gives with that? Yeah, do what it takes to get him gone. What a shame your aunt it putting all that responsibility on your family when you can't afford it right now, especially knowing you have been dealing with it for so long already. But hey, getting him to leave earlier might be worth it!

My baby has quiet days (most days) and active days. Maybe try kick counting and see if that puts your mind to ease. Baby might be moving plenty but it just doesn't SEEM like a lot because it's less than it was before. They move around less now that they are crowded in there though, ya know? But the movements feel bigger!

The weather here has been all over the map for us, too. Nice one day, hot the next, pouring after that.

It's a GREAT swing. you will be happy with it. It was kind of confusing to put together at one part. I'm glad I did it now, because I'm getting to the point that if my belly was any bigger putting some of this stuff together would be near impossible. don't wait til the last minute is my advice! Do it as soon as your grandpa is gone!

The girls room is coming along nice, but no new developments there. Still need to do the painting and finish the canvas. Maybe I'll work on another piece of that tonight. Just the tree that I have to do really, then I'm done
May 7th, 2013, 05:59 PM
You know, it's not too early to get started. I would look for ones that are close to you or in convenient/preferred locations. Look up reviews of them online. Email their office with your MAIN questions. For example:

"To whom it may concern,
I'm currently looking for the ideal pediatrician for my baby. My number one goal is simply to find a good match. I had just a few questions to ask you, and I hope you can help me out by answering them.

Is there a waiting list to secure a pediatrician with your office for my newborn? I'm due (xyz date).
What is your policy on vaccines? Are you open to patients who skip or delay vaccines?
What kind of wait times can I expect in your office?
Do you have a "well area" and "sick area" in your waiting room?
Do you accept (xyz) insurance?

Thank you for answering my main questions! I want to see if this is a potentially good fit before wasting anyone's time with more questions or visits. "

You can do that for a family doctor OR a pediatrician Obviously, adjust and as questions to that as necessary

Again, you really can't be "too early" in starting to look. Better to know where you want to go early then end up scrambling because the first 5 places you check out don't feel right to you. DON'T SETTLE on a pedi/doctor. The perfect one is out there. At the very least, you can look at lots of options BEFORE picking one.

Wow, your aunt sounds . . . fantastic. Way to back out at the last second. What gives with that? Yeah, do what it takes to get him gone. What a shame your aunt it putting all that responsibility on your family when you can't afford it right now, especially knowing you have been dealing with it for so long already. But hey, getting him to leave earlier might be worth it!

My baby has quiet days (most days) and active days. Maybe try kick counting and see if that puts your mind to ease. Baby might be moving plenty but it just doesn't SEEM like a lot because it's less than it was before. They move around less now that they are crowded in there though, ya know? But the movements feel bigger!

The weather here has been all over the map for us, too. Nice one day, hot the next, pouring after that.

It's a GREAT swing. you will be happy with it. It was kind of confusing to put together at one part. I'm glad I did it now, because I'm getting to the point that if my belly was any bigger putting some of this stuff together would be near impossible. don't wait til the last minute is my advice! Do it as soon as your grandpa is gone!

The girls room is coming along nice, but no new developments there. Still need to do the painting and finish the canvas. Maybe I'll work on another piece of that tonight. Just the tree that I have to do really, then I'm done
May 8th, 2013, 10:55 AM

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; October 27th, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
May 8th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Just remember you don't have to start with decent. You're just calling around! Make notes of all the ones that sound decent/great and then call back your first choice. You don't have to commit now, over the phone, ya know? After you get the information and think you might be interested, say, "Thanks for your time. I think I'm interested and will call back in a couple days to confirm" or whatever. But then, I am really adamant that dealing with "decent" when it comes to medical care, especially concerning my child, is NOT something I'm willing to do if there is possibly a "perfect" match out there. I've dealt with decent too much in the past and know how quickly decent can turn into a major problem.

So wow, he decided to take HIMSELF?! TODAY?! That is soooo awesome! WOooo hoo!!! Sayonara, sucka!

It will be more and bigger and then just bigger but less, but if you are concerned, bring it up with your midwife/doctor and hopefully they will give you peace of mind. What is your activity level like? What are you eating? Does anything seem to effect his movement?

You should be fine setting things up in a few weeks, and if not, I'm sure your mom or sister or someone could help you out? It must feel great to finally be starting the process, though! My daughter loves the changes to her room so far, but it might not be SO exciting for her since it's been gradual. Not like coming home one day to a fully redecorated room, ya know?

That is really interesting about the circumcision. We circ'd our boys, mostly because it was my husband's call (not that I regret it, but I would have been fine skipping it) but my youngest was circ'd by a Rabbi, and I thought the process was a lot gentler/better I think it was later (might have been the 8th day like you said) I think your plan for Elliot sounds perfect and most importantly, your plan sounds like it's something YOU are comfortable with.

I'm not dealing with allergies right now, thankfully, but everyone around me today at daughter's gymnastics was sick. I don't get it? Why would you bring your sick child to gymnastics. I hope I don't get sick from being around it. I need to up my vitamin C for the next few days to be on the safe side, I think, and hopefully that is good enough.

Can't wait to see the toys you picked for Elliot! Our car seat came in today, so that's cool Can't wait for the pack and play but it looks like it might take a couple more weeks to even ship. But I did get a really good deal on it. Next month I want to get the stroller and some other things. Just glad it's all almost done now!! Especially because my book sales have been terrible lately so after next month or the month after I might not have enough money coming in to afford anything.
May 8th, 2013, 05:32 PM

May 8th, 2013, 05:51 PM
It makes me angry how terrible military health care is, actually. They get worse care than medicaid patients! (I know because I was on medicaid with my first child and my friend was on military care (Tricare or something?) and it was like I could go anywhere, for anything 100% covered, but she was SUPER limited and had to drive soooo far just to see a doctor on her plan. Not cool! And she had NO choice of hospital.

I can't wait to see your new space once it's all done. It must feel SO good that this finally happening!! Good luck at your glucose test, too. Which flavor is the drink they gave you? They gave me fruit punch and it wasn't horrible.

We found our Rabbi because was recommended by midwife. His whole approach with baby was so much gentler. He gave the baby some wine on a piece of gauze before hand (the doctor he did out first son gave him nothing) The Rabbi did it at our home and it was very fast and baby barely cried and barely bled. With our youngest my husband said it was pretty traumatic the way they did it, but I wasn't there for that.

I understand sometimes you have to go somewhere when sick. That's life. I personally try to stay home. but when we are coughing all over the place, I don't bring my kid to gymnastics. And in this case, it would have been like bringing one of my boys who are sick to sit with me while daughter did gymnastics. I know for a fact these people could have dropped their not sick child off so the older child wasn't hanging around being sick there for an hour. THEN the kids dad came and the mom left, and the mom asked if her sick daughter wanted to go with her or stay. I mean, hello, your kid is sick. Why even ask. Bring her home with you!

Sounds like great deals on the towels and clothes! WOW!
May 8th, 2013, 08:35 PM

May 9th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Medicaid really is great insurance. What's crazy is medicaid is one of the few insurances that people don't have much trouble getting to cover out of hospital births. Tricare it's really hard to do that, from what what I hear. Other insurances you really have to fight them.

Good luck today at your appointment. I can't wait to hear the update! Sounds like you found the perfect mama to buy clothes from, too. Dang! Way to go! Maybe she doesn't ask for more because she has what she needs and wants to help other people out, but still wants to make a little cash? I am trying to sell a small lot of boys clothes for $10 on cragislist and it's not moving, but I think that's because so many people have way better deals. For me though, less than $10 isn't worth the effort; I can just drop it off at the good will.

Muffins sound SO good. I've been eating pretty healthy lately. Here is what I ate yesterday:

(Plain yogurt blended with 2 large strawberries and 2 strawberries slices on top)
(2 slices of swiss, some red grapes, and bread with butter and pepper)
(veggie pasta with fresh pesto)
(sugar free strawberry jello and a slice of pineapple)
(spring salad, greek olive salad, and a sweet potato with butter, sour cream, salt, and pepper)

Last edited by alittlelost; May 9th, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
May 9th, 2013, 12:33 PM

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; October 27th, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
May 9th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks! I'm TRYING to eat healthier. We're also trying the vegetarian thing for a while... my husband's idea, though I'm not opposed.

Too bad your friend having a boy doesn't live closer! It would be neat for your boys to have each other as playmates as they got older.

Your new room looks AMAZING! The light in there is so nice and the space is wonderful! Making your old room into a guest room is a great idea, too.

I hope you feel okay after your glucose test, too. Did they give you any special directions for your test? Like do you have to fast at all or avoid any certain foods like I did?

That is TERRIBLE about your friend. Oh my gosh. Do they know what happened? What caused it? When had the problems first began? She must be devastated. That is any parent's worst nightmare.
May 9th, 2013, 05:21 PM

May 9th, 2013, 06:20 PM
I've been looking forward to your update! Checked our forum a few times LOL

Yes, your boys will most certainly have other friends. I think I remember you telling me about her. I wish one of my friends with kids lived closer. I wouldn't want to do something all the time, but every now and then would be nice, maybe every other week or once a month to get together and chat while the kids play. But all my friends live so far.

Sounds like your appointment went REALLY well and like your midwife was totally on top of things today. AWESOME! I'm so glad she was supportive of your wishes and that they are keeping a good eye on Elliot
May 9th, 2013, 07:34 PM

May 9th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Ah! I went to a practice like that before (well, technically, my practice now has multiple midwives, too, but I LOVE them ALL) at the place I went before though there was one who really set out above the rest to me, though they were all good, just one always spent more time with me and gave me peace of mind.

Maybe YOU have a hidden twin I don't know why you might measure 4 weeks ahead, but I hope it's not GD. Sometimes we just hit growth spurts I think and then it levels back out again. I measured behind with all my kids but they came early, BUT I have heard of people who measure ahead going early, too. Some of us are just microwaves instead of ovens!

You did have a really productive day today. Early to bed sounds well deserved, and it'll help you sleep off the remaining effects of the glucose test.

Baby girl is doing well for me! I wish I could afford another 3d ultrasound, but now that it's later I feel like that money will be better spent on baby items. The pack and play should arrive tomorrow!
May 9th, 2013, 11:18 PM

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; October 27th, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
May 10th, 2013, 07:50 AM
Hope you slept well last night.

Yeah, I thought the thread was too much drama, too. I basically skipped to the end to find out the results lol

I hope you find out soon why you were measuring ahead. Hopefully it's just a fluke!

The pack and play will get set up when I receive it (so probably today!). Can't wait!!!

When is your sister moving?

Ultrasounds here cost $99 for the 3d/4d package, but right now it's on sale for $59 for mothers day. REALLY tempting.

My daughter wants to do gymnastics dance this summer. I will be signing her up officially on Monday for it.

I want to fix my dryer today.
May 10th, 2013, 12:26 PM

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; October 27th, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
May 10th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't worry yet either. It could just be you hit a growth spurt. Hopefully you get an ultrasound if you are measuring ahead next time so you can have total piece of mind.

So, we didn't have time/room to get the pack and play today because we had to get groceries and new towels. (I haven't fixed the dryer yet either, but want to before I wash the new towels so I can see if these towels stay in one piece lol FINGER CROSSED!

Hopefully we can get the pack and play tomorrow, because waiting until Monday would drive me mildly crazy.

That is really frustrating about your sister. She knows you need the space and should let you set up before you are too pregnant to do anything. Geesh. Or stay in the guest room so you can set the nursery up. Really inconsiderate. Wow. Especially since she has a place to go already and it's just her being too lazy. Can you parents talk to her, or they won't? Someone needs to tell her that you need to get the nursery set up before you are too pregnant.

Yeah, I can basically get the ultrasound for $59 which is super cheap, but I just don't know.. I only have 2 days to decide.

Yeah, she'll have a busy summer. Mondays will be gymnastics dance and jiu jitsu. Tuesday will be gymnastics camp and team practice. Wednesdays will be jiu jitsu. Thursday will be gymnastics camp and team practice. And Fridays will be gymnastics team practice with the next level up.

Maybe until your sister leaves you can put together some baby stuff and store it in that room? I know it's a small room but at least then all you have to do is move the items once she moves.

Your toenails look so cute! I need to do something like that...

As for my tattoos, I have one of my shoulder that is a four leaf clover (I'm Irish, among other things) with my husband's name underneath. Then on the other side have the Chinese symbols for beauty and strength. Then at the bottom of my spine I have a butterfly with some tribal around it...

I made chick pea salad to go with dinner tonight. I didn't taste it, but it looks like it turned out pretty good.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search