* ~ * alittlelost and melissamarie247 * ~ *

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2013, 07:41 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes, I have been freezing. I think the hospital must have 50-100oz extra by now, and I have 38oz in my freezer at home. I was up 42 lbs at 33 weeks, when I had Isabel, and it was (as I now realize) all water weight. You know, looking back, rapid weight gain was probably my first symptom.

I am not a huge fan of fast food anymore, though I love taco bell LOL but I get cravings more AFTER I have the baby for a while.

As for my boys, they are kinda self-centered. They will probably whine of being bored if they had to sit in NICU for an hour. I don't think they see the baby the same way my daughter does. But like you said, that could change with time/situation.

I am iun DIRE need to buy clothes, but my husband doesn't have the money right now. AND his dog just chewed through my eyeglass case and my daughter's gymnastics mat, so I just told him he has to replace that now because he keeps letting his dog destroy MY stuff and the kids stuff and if he can't control her, he needs to replace those things. (Oh, and she started to chew through one of my boys' mattresses! AND she chewed through the valve on my breast pump and we almost couldn't find a replacement part in person which would have left me without a pump for a week, and you can imagine how important it is I have a pump right now!)

Your nursery honestly is the cutest one I've seen so far! You did an AMAZING job! I'm still not done with the girls room, mostly because of my husband. I can't wait to be done with baby purchases. Maybe next month? Probably the month after... and then maybe I can buy myself clothes that fit. I really need a new source of income because my usual sources are so low lately.

I am sure you will find a great guy the next time around. We all make mistakes, learn our lessons, and move on. Elliot will be good "good man radar" for you too, I bet!

When we visit the hospital, my father in law stays with the kids. They are already in bed at that point. I don't know about my blood pressure. Haven't had it checked. But I take my meds 3x a day as prescribed and I feel much better, more better each day!
June 22nd, 2013, 09:36 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; October 27th, 2013 at 09:45 PM.
June 23rd, 2013, 04:45 PM
Today I had some crampy pains, but it was a good day. Went kayaking and too the movies and got some work done. Didn't pump as much as I should have, though. It's really hard to always be pumping

The rest of the stuff I have to get for baby is just stuff I would LIKE to have, that I should buy while I can kinda still afford it before I definitely can't afford it. a few more outfits I have picked out, a jumperoo, some toys. She won't need toys right away but I don't want her to get to the point she needs them and sales are so bad that I need to save up for months to get them. Make sense?

My husband gave me money today to get clothes and to replace my glasses case. He taped up my daughter's gym mat and won't buy a new one even though it's totally ghetto-rigged, so I may have to pay to replace that since he's not. But it was a HUGE argument to get that money from him, and it does me no good until I get it in the bank and getting him to take me to the bank will be another fiasco, I'm sure.

I think your approach to dating is a smart one.

If you aren't peeing as much as you are drinking, you should talk to your midwife. It doesn't mean anything is wrong, but it could be signs of what I went through. That's how it started for me, and then it got worse and worse. But those things can ALSO be normal. just keep an eye on it. I'm glad you have nothing left to do to get ready for Elliot

My daughter is reacting GREAT to her sister. She begs to go to the hospital every time we go, but I promised my son he can go next time we have a kid visit. All the kids want to see her, want her to come home, and want to help with her when she does. It's really sweet.

See any other movies lately? We all went to see World War Z. It was awesome, best zombie movie I've seen, and even the kids were enthralled the whole time and didn't fidget or talk at all for the whole movie!
June 23rd, 2013, 05:42 PM

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; October 27th, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
June 23rd, 2013, 06:11 PM
With my next book, I should money from it within a few months. I still have to finish writing it . . . and I usually write at night but right now my nights are NICU visits. A little unexpected set back...

I wish I drove. I wouldn't mind doing everything! But I don't have a license and have a serious phobia of driving since my accident. I'd probably just cause an accident at this point.

The first week after birth I was USELESS. It's just the last 2 days I've been feeling more and more like I can do a little here or a little there.

At the end, you will gain weight quite a bit faster, and that's hard when the baby is ALREADY taking up so much room. But especially if you breastfeed, the weight comes off fast. I seriously was like EW about my body after I gave birth this time and crying thinking my body was DESTROYED forever because it was SO bad. Now I am feeling like I might actually look better a month from now than I did before I got pregnant! So, when that time comes, no matter how bad it appears the first week, hang in there! I didn't have that problem with my first 3 kids, but I know plenty of people who have and same for them--they breastfed and lost the weight FAST.

I think the boys just want to see the baby because my daughter wants to haha. I mean, I DO think they are excited about her, but I also think that she's more of a novelty to them who will lose her appeal. My daughter I think it's a lasting thing. She went to every DR appt and ultrasound with me while pregnant. It was actually her idea initially for me to have a baby (a baby girl, specifically). She LOVES babies and has for years now.

You know, midwives are just that way. My midwives brushed everything off, too. And ya know, for a long time it wasn't a big deal. But remember when I posted pictures of my pitting edema? I think that was when I knew something was wrong, but I kept letting it get brushed off because I didn't want to sound like I was whining or a hypochondriac. I think my midwives would have listened if I had insisted something was wrong, but I didn't. I underplayed everything I told them.

You can probably bring a newborn with you to MI! Seriously. I mean, once he gets here you will know his temperament, but a lot of babies just eat and sleep through the newborn phase, so you can nurse and snuggle him while watching the movie no problem I bet. Or, if you have to, get a sitter, and don't feel bad about it. Nurse him before you go, leave a bottle of expressed milk, and nurse him when you get back. Odds are he will sleep through you being gone. It's important for mamas to get time to themselves, even when baby is little. I think too many mamas feel guilt over leaving their babies when they are small, but the baby doesn't care and it's healthy for mama. Heck, even animals leave their newborns (unsupervised, too, though I'm not recommending that lol) for some reasons. I think our society just have this hover-parent mentality and tons of judgement flying around when a parent dares do something for themselves. I don't think you will get sucked into that. You seem really balanced, like you will always do what is right for Elliot but I see you being "no nonsense" and not one of those push over types with your kid. Anyway, obviously this is all just my opinion and you are free to ignore anything I say if it doesn't sit right with you!
June 24th, 2013, 12:34 PM

June 25th, 2013, 08:31 PM

June 26th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Germany wanted the final draft of book 2 by the end of this month. I won't even have the draft done by then. They'll have to understand the situation, I would hope. My agent is cool about all this. I used to be really panicky when in a car at all, but I'm fine now with most people I know who drive (not all).

You'll figure out what works best for you and Elliot when he gets here, in terms of leaving him home or bringing him with you and when to start a bottle. unfortunately, Isabel will be on a bottle before breast, and she's struggling with that. A speech therapist is helping her learn the suck/swallow reflex.

My body did great with my first 3 kids but this time has been MUCH tougher. I'm happy it bounced back faster than I expected but the starting point was SCARY! I think you will be surprised how fast you will bounce back Don't get discouraged on day 1, ya know? I say wait 2-4 weeks before you have an idea what you will really need to "work" off. A lot will happen on it's own before then. Sometimes you don't have to work anything off! Especially when breastfeeding--you will burn 500 calories a day breastfeeding!

The EPO will help. Be sure to put it by your cervix starting at 36 weeks. Squats help to bring baby down, too, and that will also put pressure on your cervix and help you dilate. Walking briskly can start contractions, too.

37 Weeks IS full term if that is when baby comes ON THEIR OWN. Nothing wrong with that. And nothing noted above will make baby comes before he/she is ready. But some babies aren't ready until 40 or 42 weeks, so inducing can bring them at 38 weeks could mean they need to stay in the NICU even though they are only a couple weeks early.

I feel great lately and my house is getting less tense Isabel is making progress. Off the IV, eating 1 oz a feed now, and 3 lbs 14 oz as of last night. She's having a hard time learning to eat, though, which they just started. Also good news is she is having less episodes of bradycardia, but I just hope they go away completely soon. May take longer than they originally guessed for her to come home, though.

For your feet, also try: soaking in epsom salt bath, icing your feet, and taking alfalfa/eating alfalfa. If you have pitting edema, let your midwife know. Keep an eye on your blood pressure. My feet got so swollen that they developed "rings" from the pressure. Looked like this: http://www.ladyspeak.com/wp-content/...eral-Edema.jpg and my rings are still kinda visible even thought the swelling is completely gone now!
June 26th, 2013, 01:08 PM

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; October 27th, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
June 30th, 2013, 12:45 PM
That is my thinking, too. I mean, I can only write as fast as I can write. It's stressful with the deadline, especially because I feel like they didn't give me enough notice. It would have been enough notice for a rough draft, BUT because of how things worked out I would have needed an extended deadline for that, too.

Yesterday was a good day with Isabel. She's off the isolette and should be moving to an open crib today! She took her whole feed by bottle on both of her bottle feeds yesterday, too. Can't wait til she's off the tube feeds! I'm bringing her clothes and receiving blankets today.

Post partum can be really rough at first, but then you'll be fine. Some people are even fine right away! I am 2 weeks post partum now and only have 2 lbs to go to my pre-pregnancy weight, but still 22 lbs that I want to lose.

Did you start the EPO yet? It really does work and without doing any harm, so I really recommend it I think he will come soon, too, maybe 37-38 weeks. Who knows! Keep an eye on that swelling though. After what I went through, of course I worry, but I do think you are fine or that if anything comes of it it will be mild.

We brought a window AC unit into the house and that is helping. Our AC just isn't working 100% on it's own. I gg make something for all of us to eat now and washing the floors is on my CARROT list and I want to get that done TODAY!
July 1st, 2013, 11:16 AM

July 2nd, 2013, 07:17 PM

July 3rd, 2013, 06:27 AM
Hey Melissa! I often read your responses but have to wait until it's a good time to reply. Pumping takes a lot of time and I'm swamped with work and housework as you know, but just so you also know I'm always reading your posts!! It kills me sometimes not to be able to respond right away!

The NICU stay has been hard. In some ways easier than I thought but in many ways harder than I expected. I keep thinking she is doing so well, but the progress is so slow that they keep pushing back when they think she will be sent home. So at first it was 2-3 weeks (maybe even 10 days they said at one point). Then, it was 2-4 weeks. Then it was 3-5 weeks. Now it's almost 3 weeks so I know it's going to be 4-5 weeks total and who knows what they will say after that. Hopefully they won't add more time again, but at the same time, I don't want her to come home before she is ready.

I think you have quite a bit of water retention so I'm sure you will lose a lot of it fast. I think when you start taking the ePO vaginally you can stop taking it orally, but doing both won't hurt either if you have a lot left.

By the way, I totally understand not using the computer as much because of the heat!!! I DEFINITELY had days like that!

It sounds like Elliot is doing great and will be ready to come soon. I think you said your DD might have been a little off anyway, so you could be further than you think. A baby coming at 37 weeks would be no problem, and for many people even 35 and 36 weeks is no problem, and Elliot sounds like he'd be one of those babies who just baked faster and is ready. You won't go into labor before he is ready, so I wouldn't worry about that. Must be exciting to know it could be any day now! You can also try squats to bring him lower in the pelvis. I think that's even better than walking to stimulate things. Again, won't cause labor unless he's ready, so it's nothing to worry about, and more so it just prepares your body for labor and puts pressure on your cervix to prepare your cervix (and should make it easier for you to breathe).

I'm so excited for your birth! I'm living vicariously through you right now.
July 4th, 2013, 12:13 PM

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; October 27th, 2013 at 09:48 PM.
July 6th, 2013, 02:48 PM
You're 36 weeks! How awesome is that! My hospital said that at 36 weeks (and often 35 weeks, too!) most babies that come on their own don't need to go to the NICU, so really, you could "pop" any day now and he would be fine. Hopefully you don't have much time left, especially since you are probably a little further along anyway. How are you feeling? Any contractions or anything? You using the EPO? Try some squats, too, or sitting on a birthing ball and rocking, if you have one.

You will be fine caring for a newborn. You'll see. It will be surreal at times, but newborns are usually quite easy, too they sleep a lot. I'll be taking a CPR class soon as it's recommended for parents to preemies. Kinda scary that they think it's needed enough to type up a letter about it

You will be a great and attentive mother. I'm sure you can find a job that will allow you to be the parent you need to be. Have you considered trying to do anything from home?

Have you had another appointment yet? Did they check your urine for protein? How are your blood pressures doing? The swelling is concerning, but only because of my own experience. I hear it's common in pregnancy even when everything is totally fine. Which I guess is why my midwives weren't concerned until my blood pressure spiked.

Since giving birth, NOW stretch marks are showing up. None on my belly, yet, but I got them bad on my hips and now I'm seeing them on the tops of my thighs.

How was your 4th of July?
July 6th, 2013, 04:03 PM

July 7th, 2013, 03:19 PM
For right now, I'm only staying here for my chats with you. I love LOTS of people here and will stay up to date with them, but there's the occasional situation I just don't have it in me to deal with as graciously as usual, so I will be accountable for myself and step back until I can deal with it graciously again.

I saw your pic on facebook and seriously you have the cutest preggo belly right now! It's big and so perfectly shaped and you look so adorable pregnant! So, now that you got that super cute picture, he can come out so you can get comfortable I had my first 2 kids at 35 weeks and 36 weeks and they were born "in full term health" so some babies just grow faster and are ready sooner. Have you been using the EPO? Doing squats? At 36 weeks I think you can start Red Raspberry Leaf Tea (check with your midwife!) It has been proven that red raspberry leaves can cause contractions. It has also been proven that it can make labor faster and less painful. (1 daily up to 36 weeks, 3 daily from 36-37 weeks, and 4 daily from 37 weeks-delivery. Mostly it tones you uterus and gets it ready for labor--I don't think it will start labor before you are ready, but it's not recommended for people with a history/risk or signs of preterm labor.

Don't worry too much about his size, either. He might be smaller than they think! At any rate, I hope he's the PERFECT size when he's born! Isabel was (though in her case I had hoped she would be bigger). You know what kind of makes me sad? I was so worried about my weight gain that I maybe didn't eat as much as I could and maybe that is why she was so small. I didn't realize all that weight was water and not fat. I mean, I'm glad *I* am getting back in shape more quickly, and I definitely ate healthy, but since she was so much smaller at that gestation than my other kids, I wonder if I did something else wrong... Can't go back now though and doesn't affect me for the future since I'm done having kids.

Sorry you didn't have a better 4th of july Ours was spent in the NICU, but really right now there's no where else I'd rather be since that's where Isabel is! Things are pretty good on my end. I'm just having to be careful I don't let my post partum hormones run away with me, so that means knowing when those emotions are coming forward and doing what I can to keep them in check. As I said before, I can only be accountable for myself. Getting mad and blaming other people and fighting over who's right or wrong--that won't change anything, only make things worse. But I'll be here for you and to update for you and probably soon I will feel more "in control" and come back to the board. I just don't want to become part of the problem, if that makes sense.

I'm slowly getting things done but still way behind! CARROT is helping me, but I did nothing on my to-do list today
July 7th, 2013, 03:59 PM

July 9th, 2013, 05:05 PM

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; October 27th, 2013 at 09:49 PM.
July 10th, 2013, 07:20 AM
The midwife you have sounds like a huge pain. I hate that she has been brushing off your concerns. I went through that this time and look where that got me. I hope he comes soon, but with what you are saying, you may need to be induced. DON'T cave for a c-section unless you at least get to try a natural delivery first. I know 90lb women who have delivered multiple 10-11lb babies just fine. You are almost 37 weeks so even if you get induced now things will be okay, plus you might be further along!

The 5lbs in one week is water weight. That kind os swelling, along with the elevation in blood pressure (even if slight) is a cause for concern. You need to get your urine checked for proteins, too. Things can get a lot worse, fast, if it's pre-e. With my oldest, they caught it early and I was far enough along that I didn't have to do those awful magnesium treatments. They just induced and that was it. No need for medications afterward, either. The earlier you do something about it, the better.

I hate when doctors assume they know what you do or don't do even when you tell them otherwise. Like they think you're a liar. That's how they treated me and that's how I ended up in the situation I did. I don't think you will get to 40 weeks anyway, but I also think you might need an induction. I wouldn't say that unless I thought you really might. I'm not saying you do for sure, but if you have pre-e, then you might, and you really need to get to a hospital and have them check you out to see if you do.

Please keep my updated!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search