* ~ * alittlelost and melissamarie247 * ~ *

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 01:06 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; October 25th, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
April 18th, 2013, 08:10 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did a little work on the nursery today Nothing major, just hung some hearts.

That man sounds like a real piece of work. I can't believe you have all put up with him as long as you have as it is!!! Everything you are saying would just totally send me over the edge, especially while I'm pregnant and extra moody LOL

I love how animals can have such huge personalities! It's great you got some time outside. I was just outside but it was too hot to stay out there. I'm so tired, too. Ready to go back to bed. But I need to go to the post office today and probably the UPS store, too, to print a few things.

I've heard great things about Divergent! I haven't read it yet, though... I do find it hard to find time to read as much as I would like because of the editing and writing I hope in time I'll get more organized with my time and have time to do more
April 18th, 2013, 10:26 AM

April 19th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Oh yuck on the bathroom! Seriously, you are a saint to have put up with that as long as you have. I bet you can't wait for some peace, finally!

I got things printed at UPS yesterday and mailed things I had to mail (at USPS). $190 in things I had to mail. It SUCKS. As you know, I could have used that money for other things. But at least that is out of the way now.

I think what you should do is read some samples from a few books until you find one that you are like, "I HAVE to read this." Sometimes to get into reading again that is what I need. A book I can't put down.

I love the balloons! wow, you are really artistically talented. I am not! I am good at putting things together though, I think. For the nursey/girls room I am doing Alice in Wonderland. So the hearts (for the queen of hearts) was one part of it. But I also have the signs from the forest and I have some canvas design cut outs that like the white rabbit, the mad hatter hat, etc, and I have light pulls that say "eat me" and "drink me" and stuff. I hope it looks good when it's all done!

I got some writing done last night! Today I have to do some editing, some revision of my own writing, and some school work with my daughter. What's on your agenda?
April 19th, 2013, 06:15 PM

April 20th, 2013, 07:30 AM
I got one part of the canvas done today! I made a chesire cat cut out and I think it turned out pretty darn good!

Fill a bag for $1? Geesh. I need to get my but to these consignment shops!

Heartburn is the pits I've had that lately, too, and right now I am also sick with a cold (since yesterday). Glad you found a solution! Milk bothers my tummy since I've been pregnant. We had tacos again last night. I've been on a huge taco kick. Probably a bad idea...

I was watching all the news in Boston, too, with my husband. I'm glad they caught the suspect and finally information is coming for that is helping people understand why he was the suspect. At the same time, I also see people saying he should have been killed on the spot, and that bothers me. I want him to get a fair and speedy trial, and people don't think he should, and I'm like "If you are so sure he is a guilty, then a fair trial would find his guilt and a speedy trial would issue the consequence quickly. Why would you be opposed to that?"

It's kind of scary how blood-thirsty some people in our country can be. I also think that given the circumstances they should be trying to get some useful information from him, but so many people are blinded by their anger (a built understandably, don't get me wrong) that they can't see the bigger picture here. If we just put this all on him and call it a day without leaving no stone unturned, we could end up facing another tragedy because of a bigger group is being overlooked.

I also think that the kid might have been influenced by his older brother and maybe not really understood the full consequences of his actions--for all we know he thought no one was gonna get hurt. That doesn't mean he should be in any less trouble, but if that's his mindset, they could get good information from him, as opposed to if he was more like his brother then I doubt they would get his cooperation. It's really so sad how many lives were destroyed by the recent events.

Yay for completing the name change! That must make you feel SO good! Getting WIC done will be just another thing off your list for you to be at peace about, too. I always feel good getting things done.

I've been so tired lately. I don't know how people have energy in the second trimester. Nothing major coming up on my end. I got some editing done last night, but no writing.
April 20th, 2013, 12:21 PM

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; October 25th, 2013 at 10:21 PM.
April 20th, 2013, 02:24 PM
I don't know what the people in MASS were like, but I'm speaking more of the people on facebook being pro "kill him now". I am glad it brought peace for them for this kid to be caught, but at the same time I think the threat won't really be gone until they learn more and can confirm that this is the end, that there were no other parties involved. Unfortunately, it sounds like there were I agree some things don't add up. The media was really jumping from one idea to the next so fast that I was rolling my eyes at one point. I'm more of a "Stay calm, gather all the facts, and then figure it out" kind of gal. It sorta bugs me when people are like "Oh, maybe it's this, yep it must be that, yep no need for a trial we know everything now". Not saying educated assumptions are leads are always wrong, but I just like a calmer more matter-of-fact approach.

Putting all your movies on an external hard drive was a great idea! It gets rid of clutter and you make a little money selling the hard copies Are we really only 20 days away from the 3rd trimester? Wow, this pregnancy is going CRAZY fast. Exciting, though, yes, but I wish I were 100% prepared. Husband still hasn't painted that bedroom wall . . . most of the rest of what I need him to do is done, though.

I hope you can get some relaxation tonight. I plan to do some editing, and if I finish in time, then I'll do some writing, too. I really wish this book would write itself. My writing time is my "me time". I don't really get much time to just "veg".

We're having a wicked storm right now. Tornado warning and lots of rain and wind.
April 20th, 2013, 02:38 PM

April 21st, 2013, 08:25 AM
That's smart. I wish I felt like I could delete people, but with my author facebook I often feel like I can't without retribution. I've gotten some negative reviews and been attacked for my views in the past. When you are an author, if people don't like YOU they sometimes leave negative reviews of your BOOK even if they haven't read it. I feel like I'm always walking on eggshells in that regard.

I don't think having a limited circle of friends sounds bad. IMO it's better to have just a few really good friends you can count on and trust, rather than a bunch of iffy friends.

I'm doing some writing work right now so I can write tonight, but it's not easy because the kids are running around. My husband really could help more, but he doesn't, and it's frustrating. I hope one day I make enough money writing that he will help more. If say I could pay someone to help with the kids during the week, he would help out so that money would go to living expenses instead. But since I don't make enough money to do that, he doesn't help and I can't get help otherwise. He says he is supportive, and he is in some ways, but he needs to step it up and keeps saying he will and NEVER does.

It's crazy, we never had tornado warnings here in the 8 years I have lived here, but we had two in the last month! Hurricanes don't bother me. They can be pretty devastating, but so can anything else. Like an earthquake can be devastating but many people experience tons of them without any huge consequence. That's how hurricanes have been for us. Same with blizzards, though I don't like the cold AT ALL. I don't think you are a scaredy cat, though. I don't want to live anywhere where tornadoes are a regular thing. I am a little scared that we are having them *here*. That is so unusual and makes me worry just about our environment in general (on a large scale, not just locally). It's be like if there was an earthquake in Maine or a blizzard on the equator. A fluke once in a while with weather is one thing, but twice in a month? so strange.
April 21st, 2013, 03:29 PM

April 21st, 2013, 05:46 PM
Well, thankfully I do have a private one, too (and yes, it IS a hassle!) and that helps, but anytime I pop onto my public one I really have to bite my tongue sometimes. It's the same when I get those weirdo stalker people. I try to de-weirdo-fy them without being mean to get them to back off.

Where I live, hurricanes are normal, and we get a lot of rain during certain times of year. But hurricanes I think are more of a midwest thing? A couple years ago I heard it was so warm in DECEMBER in the NORTH EAST that people were outside in bathing suits! Yeah...that's not normal!

I LOVE banana nut muffins. YUM! I am really just into tacos lately, but I love fresh fruit and salad. I've been drinking more water, but still not enough. I need to start eating healthier, but that's hard to do with a broken fridge....

Mondays are a major busy day for us, too, but I love Mondays in their own way. What errands are on your agenda?
April 22nd, 2013, 07:51 PM

April 22nd, 2013, 08:09 PM
Me and tacos . . . what can I say? Working on eating healthier though. Started with dinner lol Lets see how tomorrow is!

Sounds like the WIC issue is taken care of! yay! sounds like you got a TON of stuff done today. You rock

It stinks dealing with allergies or really any kind of sickness while pregnant. I just got sick again recently. I'm lucky it was super mild and gone within 2 days. I think it's because my husband quit smoking so I'm not exposed to that second hand anymore (because he was terrible about smoking in the car for a while there)

I got some writing done! Had a great day all around, actually. I'm looking forward to next month, though. I'm ready for round 2 of shopping, even if I can't buy as much this time. Maybe tomorrow I'll do more work on the nursery, too. I just have 2 more things to do and the means to do them I need husband to do his one thing still though (paint that wall).
April 23rd, 2013, 04:19 PM

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; October 25th, 2013 at 10:22 PM.
April 23rd, 2013, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't say I ate super healthy today, but not terrible. I think once our fridge is fixed it will be easier.

I hate allergies. I had a pollen allergy as a kid and to this day I sometimes don't know if I'm having allergies sometimes or if I have a cold, because symptoms can be similar for me.

I'm glad my husband stopped smoking int he car, too, and even MORE glad he's quit completely. It's made a huge difference for all of us I think Although my husband has been having some medical issues from STOPPING smoking (not uncommon, and short term and still worth quitting).

I can't wait to be "done" shopping for baby. I know you understand that. I've been trying to get my husband to buy a few things, but he doesn't want to.

Man, I was SO tired after dinner that I sorta just passed out for a bit!

I'm surprised you are getting the whooping cough vaccine while pregnant? Any reason why? I heard it can be as little as 60% effective (which isn't much better than flipping a coin!) and then to top that off it hasn't been well studied for taking while pregnant. BUT I don't vaccinate at all so I am obviously more cautious than most when it comes to that stuff. Most women I know skip vaccines while pregnant, though, so I was wondering if there was something making you consider getting this one.

Did you ask your hospital what their policy is on the private labor room with tubs? My hospitals all claimed the same, but what they meant is that they had more than room with a tub, not that ALL the rooms have tubs. I wasn't able to get one with tubs. I think it's because I was on medicaid and maybe they save those rooms for people with private insurance. It'd be nice if ALL The rooms at your hospital had them or if there was any way to make sure you could get one of those rooms, IF you want to labor in the water at all (it really helps a lot with contractions!). Your hospital sounds like most hospitals I know; they've really improved since I was born. When my mom had my brother and sister they weren't so bad, either. I think they do make their facilities sound better than they are, but maybe I'm just picky. I know some people who LOVED their hospital experience. My midwives also would only deliver in certain hospitals, though, so I think there probably are worse in my area. The hospitals I delivered my kids at were some of the top hospitals in the tri-state area. Most women love them. For what it's worth, my meals were paid for by medicaid with my hospital births, so maybe you won't have to pay after all!

A 2-day class sounds really thorough! I bet that will be great for you <3 I'd love to hear more about your time in Germany. I really want to visit there. I hear they are very clean over there.

I am thinking of doing a class, but I'm not sure. I do a lot of preparation at home and each midwife visit is an hour long so I get to talk to them every appointment about what to expect and what methods we can try for pain management Both my boys had jaundice when both, though, but my midwife center can provide the lights if I need them like I did last time.

It's GREAT that you can get the free childcare when you have the baby! They have that here, too, but I personally wish they gave more of an allowance so you could pick where you go (here, it's certain places, and I wouldn't send my kids there, but where I live most neighborhoods are not so great...). I would probably consider it in another state, though. Of course, doesn't matter since we don't have to worry about that with this baby.

I'm glad you are finding the right programs to help you get set up for a great future for you and Elliot. I like the program for people like you. I know you'll make the most of it. Elliot's lucky to have you!
April 23rd, 2013, 06:37 PM

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; October 25th, 2013 at 10:22 PM.
April 23rd, 2013, 07:46 PM
He bought the car. He won't buy anything else, but yet, I did say i would buy everything (but that was thinking I was getting my full advance BEFORE the baby got here). I'm sure I can get him to get a few things, though.

I can understand your concern with the vaccines based on what medical advice you've been exposed to. (I am also glad you didn't take my asking the wrong way. I'm curious, but it's totally your decision. feel free to ignore me if I ever come across wrong...). for what it's worth, I had DtaP. My husband had DtaP. My older two kids both had their full series of DtaP. When my youngest was less than a month old, Me, my Husband, and my older two kids ALL got whooping cough. Yeah. You know who didn't? My youngest. He wasn't vaccinated, but also at the time he wouldn't have been old enough for DtAP anyway. But we were the 5 of us living in a TINY 2 bedroom condo, sick for THREE MONTHS with whooping cough, and our newborn didn't catch it. BUT also keep in mind 1) he was breastfed 2) his immune system wasn't weakened by the other vaccines they usually give by that age (vaccines weaken the immune system immediately following vaccine and some studies show hurt the immune system in the long run, but the part in italics is more widely recognized). Our pedi wants us to vaccinate, but she did say our youngest didn't get whooping cough when we did because we breastfed. BUT she completely ignore that FOUR people who WERE vaxxed for it still got it. So, IDK, maybe it's one of those seeing is believing things. I totally see why it's scary not to get the vaccines, and also why it can be scary deciding to get them. My friend's baby would get seizures after every vaccine from birth until about the age of 2, when she finally admitted to herself the vaccines were causing them (she's a nurse). Her daughter was not walking or talking. She stopped vaccines for a while and her baby improved. However, I think since she is a nurse she is probably vaccinating again, which isn't so bad IMO when the kids are older and the vaccines are spaced out more. You just have to decide if for your kid the benefits outweigh the risks, which sounds like you are going to do. On one hand, the vaccine could risk his life (so can you getting it while pregnant) on the other, there's a chance it won't and that getting it will stop him from getting Pertussis after he is born, so only you can decide what you will feel confident doing

I hate to say it, but don't stress over a birth plan, especially if you don't have a doula or someone there to fight on your behalf for them to follow it. Hospitals do it their way and tend to ignore birth plans. This is my experience and most moms I have talked to say the same. Those who didn't did not have anything on their birth plan that wasn't standard anyway. If you can make one, great, just keep in mind it might be ignored, so if you have other things you want to focus on, don't feel bad focusing on those things first <3

Germany sounds so fascinating. I'd love to visit Paris and Spain, too. I want to travel . . . maybe one day! I've been to Puerto Rico, and *where we went there* the beaches were gross, too. Sounds like you've had a lot of great experiences around the world! I think that's awesome. And your son will be lucky to have someone who will know how to travel when he is older, if you want to take him places like that

I LOVE that your state will also pay for friends/relatives to watcch your son. What a great idea!!! I like when I hear stories of the system working the way it is. Sometimes people get help who shouldn't or don't get help when they should, and that makes me sad. It makes it worth it though to hear stories like yours. Plus you paid in all those years you worked, so there is nothing wrong with getting a little help back while you need it.

IDK what is wrong with our fridge. We need someone to fix it. It's not working. Doesn't get cold. Freezer doesn't freeze. Our dishwasher is broken, too, and eventually I want a new washer and dryer, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Oh, actually, I finally just found out what is wrong with our dryer and we should be able to fix it now for about $30.

Cheerios, huh? I'm big into fruit, too, I guess, and sweets, like pastries and such. Nothing at all good for me, of course I can't even tell you how bad I want a glass of wine, and I am not much f a drinker, but I'd love a cold glass of my favorite dessert wine. You can bet I'll buy a bottle once the baby gets here LOL
April 23rd, 2013, 08:44 PM

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; October 25th, 2013 at 10:23 PM.
April 24th, 2013, 09:46 AM
I'm glad you don't take me personal. Sometimes I can be great with words, other times, not so much. A lot of the time I just want to understand someone else's thinking. If it doesn't affect me or my kids, I'm not worried about it. As you know, especially where vaccines are concerned, I think parents need to decide what is best for their kid as an individual--which means what is right for my kids isn't necessarily what is right for someone else's, or vice versa. I'm not anti vaccine, I just know my kids have a bad history with them, so for *us* the risks outweigh the benefits (which I'm also not convinced of, but that's another story lol) There's really no need to overwhelm yourself, anyway, Just get all the facts you can before each vaccine and decide if that vaccine feels right to you or if it feels right at that age. I think a delayed schedule is a great idea--it's what most other countries do and they have way less vaccine reactions than our country.

If the hospital has a fill in the blanks/circle birth plan, I definitely say to fill out their form. You are right, they are more likely to look it over if it's coming from their paperwork! For the breastfeeding, one day at a time. Honestly, the teeth thing wasn't weird to me at all while breastfeeding. My husband doesn't want me to breastfeed this time but I'm going to talk to him about it again. I think I will, but maybe I will be more relaxed about it this time (ie, no pumping, so if we need milk for sitters we'll use formula then.) We'll see. I prefer not to, but right now I'm trying to figure out what is going to be best for my family as a whole, keep up what is important to me but respect my husband's feelings, too. I think the goals you have set for breastfeeding are great and admirable and will give him a great start in life!

Yes, San Juan is where we stayed, and it wasn't long. We just got stuck there during a layover in our flight.

I love fruity drinks and mud slides! For wines, I am SUPER picky. The ones I drink taste like really sweet but light grape juice. I can't drink wine that tastes like wine LOL

I want to see a picture of the stuffed monkey! Sounds SO cute!! I have a few blankets and stuff that were just "extra" buys I had to get when I saw it. I want to get a few more things as soon as I can! About another week and I can do a little more shopping. Still trying to get my husband to pick up some things, though

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search